Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kawasaki ER6n - 2005
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have myself a Kawasaki ER6n from 2005 - the other day I went home from a meetup and suddenly by bike died on me.
I found out that the ignition fuse had blown and replaced it. I can turn the key (without starting it) and everything is fine, then I start the motorcycle itself and everything seems fine... for a just about a minute, and then the ignition fuse blows again. So the fuse only blows after startup?

I had an almost-crash where I was sliding on a grass surface, bike didn't go down I was able to "carry" it, but it did jerk the handlebar to one side. Nothing seems able to have been crushed or pulled though. Just a coincidence or could something be related?

Any ideas troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance

·
Mod of the North
601 Posts
It might be just a coincidence but it would be good to check your wirning and harness near the pinch points by the tank and frame. I suspect you have pinched a wire somewhere and it is making a weak short circuit. Did you damage any lights or switches on the handle bars? A twisted switch up there may be shorting out internally somehow.

Another thought was that the bike is over charging but that usually cooks the battery not fuses.

·
Registered
Kawasaki ER6n - 2005
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It might be just a coincidence but it would be good to check your wirning and harness near the pinch points by the tank and frame. I suspect you have pinched a wire somewhere and it is making a weak short circuit. Did you damage any lights or switches on the handle bars? A twisted switch up there may be shorting out internally somehow.

Another thought was that the bike is over charging but that usually cooks the battery not fuses.
A weak short circuit would make sense since it takes some time to burn the fuse. Wiring and harness near pinch will be checked thoroughly, at a quick visual inspection nothing seemed to be damaged.

No lights damaged but will try and unplug those and running it again.

·
Registered
Kawasaki ER6n - 2005
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can turn on the ignition and the fuse does not blow
I have now had some time to test a lot of things now.

I can turn the bike on without the fuse blowing... most of the time. Had a couple of times, after i moved some wires around near the stator and chain, where the fuse would blow up as soon as i turned the key to ignition. But then I moved the bike around and i could turn to ignition again, without blowing the fuse.

Headlights and blinkers has been removed - still able to turn on but fuse still blowing
Kill switch taken apart - nothing seems out of the ordinary there

The wire coming from the fuse getting blown i brown/white - i have tracked this wire to the diagnosis connecter, to the ecu, to an air switching valve and to the relay box.

The relay box has been inspected through the relay circuit inspection in the service manual - seems good.

Right now I think the short circuit is occouring somewhere near the wire from the stator or down there since that is when the shorting changed, no wires seems damaged though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you can turn on the ignition and the fuse does not blow
Then the bike starts for a short period then blows the fuse there is a dead short to earth.
The live and the earth to the CDI normally white and black for earth wire (kill switch) and red and white for live need to be checked, power to live wire with ignition on black and white earth from kill switch open circuit until kill switch is operated.
The other wires to the CDI unit come from the engine generator and go to the coil and have another earth wire usually green check all earth cables are not in contact with any live wires. If all checks out fine go to youtube to find out how to check the CDI unit for a fault using a multimeter or replace the CDI unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Be careful with engine running around the wires from the engine generator system some are dc voltage others are ac high voltage to the CDI unit. If the fuse blows when the ignition is turned on without the engine running check all the wiring as outlined and test the CDI unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts