Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I bought a 1986 Yamaha Fazer about 4 weeks ago.
She's 4cylinder, 700cc

I am having trouble this morning starting her up.
This morning I was going to ride, and started her up with choke at 100%
She started, and I revved her about 10-15 seconds... then let off the throttle... and she died.

Since then, I haven't been able to start her.

I crank and crank (6-8 second bursts), yet nothing.
At the moment, I am cranking without the choke on (0%-choke).

I am already using a battery charger, as the battery is getting depleted.
(charge her up for 30-45 minutes... disconnect charger, crank)

Now, here's the interesting part and my QUESTION
:
When she starts up, cylinders 2 and 4 take up a LONG time to warm up their headers.
cyl 2 and 4 are in the same ignition coil... yet cylinders 1 and 3 warm up their headers super quickly (as it should)

So I am thinking it might be a bad ignition coil?
What do you think?

I mean, the bad ignition coil is making the problem worse... yet maybe the spark plugs are wet from all the fuel?

Thank you very much everyone... much appreciated!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello,
Wanted to update on the bike.

I removed the spark plugs, and all of them were wet.
Which leads me to believe they got "flooded" with gasoline from too much cranking.

I checked the spark by holding the sparkplug in contact with the engine block, and the spark was very weak.
It actually mis-fired a couple of times.

So, I am thinking ignition coil(s) are bad?
What do you guys think of the Accel 140403?
(sorry, I can't post the direct link because the forum is telling me I need 15 posts or more... please google it if possible)

=========
In addition, and slight un-related (yet, related in another way):::
When I removed the spark plugs, there was a LOT of grime around the spark plug hole.

So much so that the thread of the out-coming sparkplug had grime (little rocks, dirt, muck) stuck to the threads.
I believe this got stuck there as I was pulling up the spark plug.

What do you suggest to clean that out?
I have compressed air... yet, I am afraid of actually pushing the grime INTO the cylinder.

Any ideas short of removing the cylinder head?

Thank you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
I was looking at those Accel 140403 in eBay, and in one part it mentions:
Motorcycles with point or electronically triggered ignitions use PART #140403 or #140403S
Bikes equipped with capacitive discharge ignition (CDI) use PART #140404 or #140404S
Which one does my bike have?
1986 Yamaha Fazer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Difficult to get started

Hello,
I think I can help you. Your problem might be very easy to be solved. Spark plugs 1 and 4 are fired by one coil, spark pugs 2 and 3 are fired by the other coil. Check the order of the high voltage cables carefully. Their order is crucial. If there is no problem, remove all spark plugs from the engine and mark which cylinder they have been removed from. Check their color. It has to be light or dark brown, but not black. Sometimes when they are black they are damaged, but it can not be proved by testing on the bike. When the engine is cranked spark appears, you see it but It doesn't mean the spark pugs are good. If I am right, your bike get started difficult, then runs badly and in a few minutes begin to run smoothly, if meanwhile it doesn't die, of course. It fits to symptoms you describe and explains why some exhaust pipes get warmed later. Now you can easily suggest why you should have marked the spark plugs.
If you have any question, feel free to ask me, I will help you. You have already noticed that English is not my native language, so if don't understand anything you must let me know and I will try to say it other way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,
I think I can help you.
If you have any question, feel free to ask me, I will help you.
Bobi, thank you!!
Tomorrow, I am going to fix her early in the morning.
Lets see how that goes.

I will update ASAP.

I think the cables are good, because she was running perfectly.
Anyway, I will update tomorrow morning and let you know how it goes.

Thank you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys...

I just vacuum out the spark plug holes in the head... to make sure they didn't have debris.
Clean out the spark plugs (they are less than a month old... not 200 miles on them).
I re-checked the gap on them.
Re-installed... cranked, and no go.

Right now I am thinking it's a bad batch of fuel.
I don't understand wtf is happenning.

I am going to get some new fuel, see if I dump out everything from the tank, then re-fill with the new batch of fuel.
Lets see how that runs.

Will update ASAP.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I am stumped.

I removed the tank, and all the fuel from it.

I poured 1 gallon of new fuel into it... then tried to start it.
Nothing... same as before.

I don't know what else to try.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just removed the carburetors to give them a cleaning.

Also waiting on new Accel 140403 coils.
Kind of sad because this has turned into the shotgun-parts approach to fixing this... yet I don't know what else to do.

Will update on how this goes.

·
American Legion Rider
25,898 Posts
When you get the new coil installed, I also put some new plugs in. I've had a 50/50 success with cleaning fouled plugs and you have at least two fouled. You might get lucky and the new coil will do the trick though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you get the new coil installed, I also put some new plugs in. I've had a 50/50 success with cleaning fouled plugs and you have at least two fouled. You might get lucky and the new coil will do the trick though.
Interesting... hand't thought of that.

Will do that... as I mean, what the heck!
:thumbsup:

As soon as the new coils arrive, I will install and update all of you.

After removing the carburetors, I started dis-assembling them and cleaning.
I got stuck because one of the bolts was stripped, and doesn't matter what bit I tried, it didn't budge.

So tomorrow I will make a slot on the top of it with the Dremel, and remove it that way.
I will also go to the hardware store to get some replacement bolts.

So far, everything looks good inside the carbs.
The diaphragms look good: no holes or ruptures in them.
This is just weird.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
+1 on the new spark plugs needed. At least when adding the purchase of spark plugs as a tool to diagnose a problem ,it is much better to spend that small amount of money on them vs. big money on something else

What often happens is that perhaps something like carbs not being synched or something like that will result in a poor fuel mix that fouls the spark plugs. Then the spark plugs will not fire due to deposits on them.

I had one bike that would do this at a hundred miles. It was too lean on one side and that fouled the plug. Then when it started and ran on only one side,the first thing you think of is the coil or plug wire,but it is neither.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts