Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
amazingly fun new(ish) material, got to play with it a bit when I was LEO.
It's called D30 Impact material....

You can go to their website D30.com or just check youtube out.
I can't post links yet, i'mma just a baby:)

Just really neat stuff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an impact resistant ... i dunno what to call it... polymer?
It can mold like putty, but then not lose its form with a hammer strike.

it is used in undercover jackets, police vests, etc...
But they have a great motorcycle line as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's a youtube video out there with a guy wacking another with a bat (with the motorcycle vest on) ... pretty neat stuff, and not 'that' high on the affordability scale

·
American Legion Rider
18,652 Posts
Wonder when the first helmet will have it? They already have tried Kevlar. The combo might be great. Smaller helmet sure would be nice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am so tempted to buy that little sample kit thing, would be fun to play with. They have this whole suit designed for stunt men, which would be a wicked purchase...

I just can't see squeezing into that. I'd look like 270lbs of taters in a 170lb sack...

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
.............I just can't see squeezing into that. I'd look like 270lbs of taters in a 170lb sack...
now THERE'S a vision for ya!!

I looked this D30 stuff up, on YouTube. Some questions:

-How heavy is it?
-Is it sticky?
-How expensive would gear be, made with it?
-Does it have a shelf life, before it fails?

I'll explore those questions. Interesting stuff. The guy said that DOW had developed this product, after WWII, so it's apparently been around for a while.

It's interesting that the guy in THIS video, calls it a "fabric." Seems counterintutive to me..........

Then there's THIS fella's testing of the product, in direct relationship to motorcycle gear. I find his results fascinating! You MAY find his observations, after the completion of his testing, surprising.........

-Soupy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
now THERE'S a vision for ya!!

I looked this D30 stuff up, on YouTube. Some questions:

-How heavy is it?
I have not found an exact answer..
But the ULP KNEE PAD 151mmx247mm 6.5mm Thick is only 33g

-Is it sticky?
The 'pads' that I handled, no, they feel like rubber.
The putty... I have no clue
-How expensive would gear be, made with it?
This is NOT an advertisement for this site, and I have never bought anything from them. As far as I Know they are ex Santa elves selling cheap foam replicas of santa's fat.
But meh, I googled a price list, here it is :)
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/D30

-Does it have a shelf life, before it fails?
Found a site that says tested and lasted 'longer than 4 years' so meh, there's that.

I'll explore those questions. Interesting stuff. The guy said that DOW had developed this product, after WWII, so it's apparently been around for a while.

It's interesting that the guy in THIS video, calls it a "fabric." Seems counterintutive to me..........

Then there's THIS fella's testing of the product, in direct relationship to motorcycle gear. I find his results fascinating! You MAY find his observations, after the completion of his testing, surprising.........

-Soupy
answers in blue.
I'll watch the vids... I have a lot of time on my hands, and I love to research!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts