Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite all of my medical challenges that have arisen as I reach the level of senior citizen, I certainly don't know how long I have left on this earth (just as no one except someone already deathly ill knows when), but I go back in forth in my head as to what I might do. On one hand, if I expected to not live out the year I would want to conserve my financial resources so that my wife would have as much as possible to help her during her remaining years. On the other hand, maybe I should just go out and buy those bikes, and guns and anything else that I can afford to buy and enjoy them while I'm still on the green side of the grass.

So today on this first day of 2016, I'm leaning toward buying a new bike or two this coming spring, and riding the hell out of them before that guy in the black hoodie and scythe comes to my door. I guess my widow will always be able to sell them after I'm gone and recoup at least part of what I spent! Because once I'm dead I sure won't be able to go out riding or anything else!

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
Despite all of my medical challenges that have arisen as I reach the level of senior citizen, I certainly don't know how long I have left on this earth (just as no one except someone already deathly ill knows when), but I go back in forth in my head as to what I might do. On one hand, if I expected to not live out the year I would want to conserve my financial resources so that my wife would have as much as possible to help her during her remaining years. On the other hand, maybe I should just go out and buy those bikes, and guns and anything else that I can afford to buy and enjoy them while I'm still on the green side of the grass.

So today on this first day of 2016, I'm leaning toward buying a new bike or two this coming spring, and riding the hell out of them before that guy in the black hoodie and scythe comes to my door. I guess my widow will always be able to sell them after I'm gone and recoup at least part of what I spent! Because once I'm dead I sure won't be able to go out riding or anything else!

I believe in a middle ground. Have enough insurance that, god forbid you bite the dust, funeral, debts, and so forth can be paid off without hassle ( I've had a few deaths in my family that didn't have coverage. That can be a real nightmare... ), but at the same time, once you have that all covered, spend the rest. You can't take it with you, and it's your money. Get the most out of it. Especially if your day is drawing to a dusk. You earned that money. You owe it to yourself to enjoy as much of it as you can spare to. I don't recall who said it, but "Adding years to life is pointless, if we don't first add life to years".

In fact, an old job I used to have, had an insurance plan where, if you're ever deemed terminal, they'll give you the option to take half of your insurance money while still alive, to "live it up". The other half is still solely for those final expenses. I liked that idea. Kinda wish I still had the plan.

·
Registered
809 Posts
As long as you are not leaving someone else with debts and your spouse will not be left in the lurch, I say GO FOR IT!!

Some friends of ours, a couple, we thought were workaholics. We kept telling them "you need to take a break, go on vacation." They said, "We will, we've got big plans for when we retire. We're going to retire no later than age 60, you know!" We thought, that's great, more power to you.

We went to his funeral when he was 57. It's been a few years and his wife is still struggling - emotionally. Sure, she has money, not wealthy but certainly enough to pay the bills, take trips, do things. I'm pretty sure she'd give most, if not all, of it up for the chance to go back in time and do things differently.

My wife and I both have 401k accounts and investments, but not with the big dollars they tell us we need these days to retire. But this situation definitely changed our thinking, and the way we want to spend the rest of our lives.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
As long as you are not leaving someone else with debts and your spouse will not be left in the lurch, I say GO FOR IT!!

Some friends of ours, a couple, we thought were workaholics. We kept telling them "you need to take a break, go on vacation." They said, "We will, we've got big plans for when we retire. We're going to retire no later than age 60, you know!" We thought, that's great, more power to you.

We went to his funeral when he was 57. It's been a few years and his wife is still struggling - emotionally. Sure, she has money, not wealthy but certainly enough to pay the bills, take trips, do things. I'm pretty sure she'd give most, if not all, of it up for the chance to go back in time and do things differently.

My wife and I both have 401k accounts and investments, but not with the big dollars they tell us we need these days to retire. But this situation definitely changed our thinking, and the way we want to spend the rest of our lives.
Working your ass off doesn't do any good, if you've nothing to show for it.

Me? I don't do a whole lot, but I do some things. I've been to see the WWE live 16 times and counting. I've seen Metallica, Garth Brooks, Motley Crue, hundreds of rodeos. St. Louis Cardinals, Green Bay Packers ( still gotta go to Lambeau, though ), Dallas Cowboys. Been to Arrowhead Stadium. Going to see PBR Built Ford Tough series in February. Been to Virginia Beach. And of course, I have my prized possession, my Mustang, and my bike.

I may not retire at 55 with a 7 figure bank account, but if I die tomorrow, I can damn sure say "I didn't waste it all."

·
American Legion Rider
23,543 Posts
Anything you decide should include you wife's blessing. But just how many bikes can you ride at one time? I just got my last bike but it's the finish of a dream anyway. Buy the right things and your wife can sell them anytime really but I'd make arrangements with a trusted friend that would sell them for their actual value so your wife doesn't have to bother with it. That alone could be a challenge. The key is to involve your wife from the get go. That kind of talk can be gut wrenching so be careful how you approach it.But I feel it's the only way when it comes right down to it. Good luck though no matter what you do.

·
Premium Member
8,911 Posts

Shirley and I have decided to do it again for another year. This is a carry over from the years I worked for others. I asked them at the beginning of each year if they would like to continue as before, what changes they would like to make, or call it quits.

Our only resolution, is to work on plans for disposing of things, if we die too soon. For me, the bikes and boats, the tools and other things, will be given away. We do not need to provide for each other, so it will be relatives and friends and so forth, that will be the recipients.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Lots of common sense stuff that takes priority over the bucket list, like the pre-purchase of your funeral expenses for example. We bought and paid for our burial site, and most Funeral homes will let you pay in on all other expenses until the bill is covered

Also, I believe it important to give "God" a fair chance in your life, to be able to die with peace, and avoid eternal consequences you didn't HAVE to suffer.

Eliminating debt that your spouse or offspring shouldn't have to bear the burden of, is also honorable.

-soupy

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have shared expenses and incomes with my wife for over 44 years and we have together accumulated a decent cushion of money in IRAs and 401K/403Bs.

My retirement income from my former employers is enough for us to both live on but that goes to only half the day I die, although property taxes on the house, utilities and such will not change. Her individual retirement income from her former employers is a laugh by comparison. That means she would need to start to draw on those savings unlike what we are doing today.

I could not in good conscience squander that money but daily make spending decisions without giving serious thought to the total expenses involved because our retirement income covers my present spending levels and hers. I figure my bike costs a couple of thousand a year in depreciation and that much can come right out of retirement income, not the total cost of that bike every year though.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I have a large life insurance policy, one that was designed to leave the wife without debt when we had the business. Sold the business but keep the life insurance. If I thought I wasn't going to make it to the end of the year, I would do whatever I wanted as long as I kept the police. We have very little debt now, just the last few years of house payments and it is all hers.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
You are so cultured, seen wrestling 16 times. How much more elaboration is needed?
Yeah, well, you know, it is what it is. Some people watch Game of Thrones or Walking Dead. I watch wrestling. Have since the golden days of Hulk Hogan and "Macho Man" Randy Savage. Will probably until the day the black cloaked harvester swings his scythe at my neck. Seen it live 16 and counting. Including 2 of the "Big 4" events ( Royal Rumble and Survivor Series. Just need Summerslam and Wrestlemania ). House shows, Raw, Smackdown...just whatever hits St. Louis. And that 16? That's just WWE. I've seen a few smaller promotions, too. Even got a replica belt signed by "Handsome Harley" Race and "Nature Boy" Ric Flair ( WOO!! ). To put it mildly...I'm a fan.

What's wrong with that?

I also watch MLP, like Biker Dash. *shrug* Sue me. Like I give a damn.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
You asked for it, I just figured since you didn't see it, I would point it out to you. Glad you support the economy in such a responsible manner.

·
Hero of Legend
1,208 Posts
You asked for it, I just figured since you didn't see it, I would point it out to you. Glad you support the economy in such a responsible manner.
It's my money. I'll spend it at my leisure. I also take care of my family and bills before anything else. Hell, usually, they come along, too. We like wrestling, in this house. And that's the bottom line, 'cuz Stone Cold said so! *glass shatter*

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am 68 yrs old and have never thought it was possible that I would live this long. But, now that I have made it this far, I have come up with the opinion that every day I need to live and enjoy it to the max. It doesn't matter what I am doing, from sitting on the couch to riding my motorcycle or riding in my car, I am enjoying it.
But in order to get to this stage in life, I made a plan when younger and stuck to it and it is paying dividends now. I am retired military and Federal Civil Service, drawing SS (what little it is). During the past 20 years, I have taken man extended vacations on a budget and have enjoyed them. These vacations have been to attend a baseball game in every professional stadium, Had dinner in all the old "trucker diner cars" that was popular in the 1950's, gone to alot of the Civil War museum site. Right now I am attending a college football game in every Big 12 stadium.
Life is what you make of it.
Now the question is: What are you making of your life?

·
8,576 Posts
If I knew I was not going to live till the end of the week, I'd be fine because of pre-planning, a good will, adequate money and home and property and business for my family and above all, my SALVATION but, I'd seriously hit Dominoes Pizza every day for their biggest most unhealthy triple meat delight and get a double chocolate shake to wash it down with and a large Payday candy bar to take home and enjoy---and I'd make sure to put a LOT of Seafoam in my stuff:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
825 Posts

Get your bike and a little life insurance. ... and live. We aren't promised another breath in this life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yeah, well, you know, it is what it is. Some people watch Game of Thrones or Walking Dead. I watch wrestling. Have since the golden days of Hulk Hogan and "Macho Man" Randy Savage. Will probably until the day the black cloaked harvester swings his scythe at my neck. Seen it live 16 and counting. Including 2 of the "Big 4" events ( Royal Rumble and Survivor Series. Just need Summerslam and Wrestlemania ). House shows, Raw, Smackdown...just whatever hits St. Louis. And that 16? That's just WWE. I've seen a few smaller promotions, too. Even got a replica belt signed by "Handsome Harley" Race and "Nature Boy" Ric Flair ( WOO!! ). To put it mildly...I'm a fan.

What's wrong with that?

I also watch MLP, like Biker Dash. *shrug* Sue me. Like I give a damn.
You should become a local wrestler and live it. There are a few around houston that do it and kids get a kick out of it. Just like WWE... on a very small scale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts