Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could just load up the bike and go, where would you go?

Which state or park , monument or attraction would you like to go see? Or is there a particular attraction the keeps you coming back again and again, and why?
There is a lot I'd like to go see and some things I have already seen but would like to go back to again, like Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon, the Badlands of
South Dakota.

Big cities hold no attraction for me. I avoid them as much as possible. Often, to me, just out riding across the country on state highways, avoiding interstates, is the best part of the ride. I rode through a small Oklahoma town a few years ago. Flags and banners were all over the place and people were lining the streets. I was the only vehicle on the street. First thought is "How did they know I was coming?" but then the fire trucks, police car and floats came off a side street behind me and the parade began. They were celebrating the founding of their town. The parade had nothing to do with me. :sad:

Right now I'm wanting to ride West. The ride I'd like to do, and what I can afford are two different things right now, but if I could...northern New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, I'd like to go back to all of them. I love riding the western United States. There's still a lot I haven't seen.

Where do you want to ride? :grin:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm with you about wanting to ride out west. I lived in Arizona for a short time when I first got my license, and loved every second of it. Now I'm back in Pennsylvania/New Jersey.

Though I try to take a bike trip every year, lack of time and money prevent me from going too many places. I will be heading south in a couple of weeks to meet up with an old friend, whom I haven't seen in years. We'll meet in Tennessee, and I'll let him be my guide for a few days. He's from there and wants to show me the Dragon, and other roads in the area. Then, we'll head to Georgia, take a slight dip into Florida, then go to Alabama where he lives now.

Hope you get to do your westward trip someday soon!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
"There is a lot I'd like to go see and some things I have already seen but would like to go back to again, like Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon, the Badlands of
South Dakota. " Retiredguy quote:grin:

Me too exactly and I've been there 3 times for the Sturgis rally but now, the only way I'd go back is in cooler weather like in early June or late September.:wink2:

The area is so very scenic with many cool places to see and I miss the ride in from Southern California, where we left from. From the rally we traveled through Yellowstone and ended up camping on the Pacific coast in Oregon and California---absolutely scenic:grin:

Now, I'd have to cut across Kansas, which is hotter and more gloomy than Hades, anytime in the summer months:surprise:

The Tennessee mountains are also a great destination.:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
The main North South route is I5 and boring. The West to East routes go over the Cascade range. Several are great rides. Once East of the Cascades, highway 97 goes North to Alaska, and South to the bottom of the world. This is a most interesting ride, with plenty of detour options. Back out West, instead of I5 which is the quickest way to get South, the Coast highway starting the top left of OR is the scenic route. Closer to my home, there are plenty of places to go on the big island. This requires a bike for gravel roads. A 650 single Suzuki would work well.
I would not go any further East than the right hand side of the Cascades. Although South East BC is great.

UK

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife and I stayed in Yellowstone about 18 years ago. She prayed the whole time there wouldn't be any bears around because we were staying in a tent. Well, her prayers were answered, no bears, but lots of buffalo! Last year I heard you can't stay in a tent in Yellowstone anymore. Don't know if that is true or not. We also rode The Beartooth highway. Gets cool in the upper elevations. :)

I like the mountains, but I would also like to ride that coastal highway in California all the way up to Washington. That would be a hoot! :)

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I have to go across Kansas I make it a two day trip because of the heat. A lot of little Kansas towns have a small city park and it's okay to stay overnight, usually. If it is, there'll be a sign. As long as there is a place to eat, I'm good.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I'm currently camping in Branson with my parents. The Ozarks have so many awesome riding roads that I actually looked up if there are any motorcycle rental places out here. I wish!

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
501 Posts
What a great question! To ride anywhere... where would it be?

I would pick the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia. Explore Halifax and see the beautiful green hillsides that slope into the blue ocean. Stay in cozy hotels along the way and eat lots of fish!

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Did the waiver basically say if you get ate, you won't sue?
Yes. You might get eaten by a bear, you might slip on the rocks and drown. You might croak walking the tough trails. That kind of stuff. And answer some medical questions.
Makes the waiver for playing rugby, sound like chess.

UK

·
Visionary
5,272 Posts
My ideal trip which was planned but won’t happen this year was 2 weeks long and would have gone something like this.

Blast off headed west, 1550 miles in 24 hours gets me to Rapid City with a Bun Burner 1500 to go with my Saddle Sore 1000.

Spend a few days in Black Hills. Been there twice. Can’t wait to go back. That area never gets old for me.

Then head south to Colorado, up Pikes Peak, then Grand Canyon and Monument Valley on the way to the Pacific coast.
Spend a couple of days up and then back down the PCH, end up in San Diego.
Rest a day, then San Diego to Jacksonville Florida in under 50 hours to earn a CC50 (coast to coast under 50 hours challenge) certificate.
Then take a few days on the way home stopping at the dragon and then taking the Blue Ridge parkway for 3 days to unwind from all the highway riding.
Maybe next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWB75 and Porky

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
I'm currently camping in Branson with my parents. The Ozarks have so many awesome riding roads that I actually looked up if there are any motorcycle rental places out here. I wish!
You traveled to the Ozarks? And you didn't bring a bike??
What the hell is the matter with you???
:grin::grin::grin:

Reactions: Jo6pak

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
I'm counting the days until my big one.

Well, it will be the biggest one in quite a few years for me.
Myself and eight other members of my bike club will be leaving on Saturday the 13th at the crack of dark in the morning for a nine day trip from Jersey through the Blue Ridge Mountains, The Smoky Mountains and into Tennessee. I haven't taken a LONG trip in many years, so I am really looking forward to this.
So far it looks like nine or even ten people on eight bikes.
The schedule includes riding parts of the Blue Ridge parkway, The Tail of the Dragon, visiting the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley, and various attractions in the Gatlinburg Tennessee area.
I'm stoked!!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
I did that trip a few years ago solo. Picked up the BRP where it starts at the end of Skyline drive. Got off at the exit for Maggie Valley. Plan of a full day at Wheels through Time. I stayed in Maggie Valley and rode out from there every day. Lots of good roads in the area. Moonshiner was my favorite.

Reactions: dilbertrob

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike 721 has got a plan. I'd quickly disappear in his rear view mirrors, but I like the route he's got picked out. Would take me more than one year to do it to. :)

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
Mike has a plan alright. I also think he has a screw loose. LOL!!!
Two weeks? That's about two MONTH trip.

Doing it his way....
SCREECH to a stop, hop off the bike...."Yep, that's the Grand Canyon alright. Now let's get the hell out of here." Hop back on the bike and be gone!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Candy is just as nutty as he is, because I just KNOW that she'll be right there with him!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
My brother-in-law and I are both retired and we've just begun making trips together, both with camper trailers (a Time Out for him and a Mini Mate for me; my younger brother just bought a Time Out yesterday and will be joining us occasionally, as he still works). Our last planned trip was the Pig Trail in Arkansas, which was canceled at the last minute. Our general plan: find a campsite, spend 2-5 days there riding out and back, move to the next campsite, repeat (the process of which I believe I mentioned in another post).

The trip I'm most looking forward to: we'll begin with basing in the northern New Mexico / southern Colorado area, moving on a loop to cover the area from the western Dakotas through the Pacific Northwest. We won't come close to covering that area in one trip, so it'll probably take us a few years to cover most everything.

More locally (Southeast area), we try to link up the Barber's Vintage Festival in October each year with a trip to the Smokies afterwards. The peak of fall foliage is a huge draw during that time, so instead of basing around the Gatlinburg area this time, we're probably going to try Maggie Valley. The later in October you get, the more beautiful it is to me.

If you haven't been to Barber's, I highly recommend it!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts