Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really don't like Jorge Lorenzo. I could feel some sympathy for the guy struggling as he has with Ducati, but after winning Mugello I remembered why I used to take pleasure in seeing him fall into irrelevance. Post-race, I got the feeling that Dovi (his teammate) really preferred the company of Rossi, and Rossi him. It was sort of awkward watching the three of them on the podium.

· Premium Member
8,510 Posts
I really don't like Jorge Lorenzo. I could feel some sympathy for the guy struggling as he has with Ducati, but after winning Mugello I remembered why I used to take pleasure in seeing him fall into irrelevance. Post-race, I got the feeling that Dovi (his teammate) really preferred the company of Rossi, and Rossi him. It was sort of awkward watching the three of them on the podium.
I watch, if not live then on youtube. Nobody likes Lorenzo, but the guy can ride fast now and then. I much prefer Dovi, he has a lot of talent. I like the progression of Franco Morbidelo. Moto2 winner last year, middle of the pack this year.
Rossi would be much closer if not for the crash caused by Marqez. That could be a deciding factor. I have a Rossi back pack. Bought it two races back, and he has done better since then. His number is my birth date year.

More down to earth. I will be going to the Ridge track near Sheldon WA this coming weekend.

UK

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I watch, if not live then on youtube. Nobody likes Lorenzo, but the guy can ride fast now and then. I much prefer Dovi, he has a lot of talent. I like the progression of Franco Morbidelo. Moto2 winner last year, middle of the pack this year.
Rossi would be much closer if not for the crash caused by Marqez. That could be a deciding factor. I have a Rossi back pack. Bought it two races back, and he has done better since then. His number is my birth date year.

More down to earth. I will be going to the Ridge track near Sheldon WA this coming weekend.

UK
I obviously root for Rossi because, well, he's Rossi! My favorite non-Rossi rider is Dovi, though. If Rossi does retire this year as expected, Dovi becomes my lone favorite. Speaking of Marquez causing a crash (yet again) I find that I even like him and his reckless attitude more than Lorenzo. Jorge obviously doesn't pose the threat of danger on the track that Marc does, but Lorenzo's attitude is downright hard to suffer. It's just so obvious how little the other riders care for the guy. Do you think Miller is going to take Lorenzo's spot at Ducati? Maybe Petrucci?

Speaking of Moto2, if you're going to watch anything from Mugello, I'd recommend that. It was fantastic, right to the end!

· Premium Member
8,510 Posts
I obviously root for Rossi because, well, he's Rossi! Do you think Miller is going to take Lorenzo's spot at Ducati? Maybe Petrucci?

Speaking of Moto2, if you're going to watch anything from Mugello, I'd recommend that. It was fantastic, right to the end!
I watch all the classes if I have time. Stayed up late last Saturday / Sunday morning and watched all of it. The current 250 class is just like the old 250 class of yesteryear. We had a herd of 250 Yamaha 2 strokes, and they were faster than any 750 street bike.

I have my doubts about Miller. I think he should have been in Moto2 for a while. Too many injuries from crashes for my liking. Petrucci would be my pick. The English guys are not consistent enough. The Suzuki riders look good, but I am not sure how good.
Would be nice to have riders from NZ, Canada and the US.

UK

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would be nice to have riders from NZ, Canada and the US.

UK
That's what I'm thinking. Maybe a rider from an English speaking nation would pique interest in the sport a bit more. I think most people - given the opportunity - would love watching MotoGP (and like you said, Moto3 and Moto2 to boot).

As for Pettruchi, he does seem the obvious fit. Current Ducati satellite team and a consistent performer. The way he came back after being bumped off course by Marquez in lap 1 was pretty impressive.

· Premium Member
8,510 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. Maybe a rider from an English speaking nation would pique interest in the sport a bit more. I think most people - given the opportunity - would love watching MotoGP (and like you said, Moto3 and Moto2 to boot).

As for Pettruchi, he does seem the obvious fit. Current Ducati satellite team and a consistent performer. The way he came back after being bumped off course by Marquez in lap 1 was pretty impressive.
Agreed regarding Pettruchi. Zarco has talent. One thing that has not changed. It is easy to underestimate how good the good guys are. In many other posts I have said " try running with the expert riders ".
Ducati did not say much about what changes they made, but Lorenzo mentioned changing the shape of the tank for a better fit for him. I have talked about this a bit in the discussions about body steering, or steering with your knees.
One thing that gets omitted with riding styles: Hanging a knee out partially causes, and helps the outside knee pull against the gas tank. Dangling the leg has a similar effect.

The Yamaha 2 strokes of yesteryear weighed 220 pounds. A skinny kid weighing 80 pounds could make them change direction easily.

Catalan 16 and 17. I have my banned Catalan hat.

UK

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed regarding Pettruchi. Zarco has talent. One thing that has not changed. It is easy to underestimate how good the good guys are. In many other posts I have said " try running with the expert riders ".
Ducati did not say much about what changes they made, but Lorenzo mentioned changing the shape of the tank for a better fit for him. I have talked about this a bit in the discussions about body steering, or steering with your knees.
One thing that gets omitted with riding styles: Hanging a knee out partially causes, and helps the outside knee pull against the gas tank. Dangling the leg has a similar effect.

The Yamaha 2 strokes of yesteryear weighed 220 pounds. A skinny kid weighing 80 pounds could make them change direction easily.

Catalan 16 and 17. I have my banned Catalan hat.

UK
Definitely can't forget Zarco. His performances are really impressive, particularly given that he's a privateer. It was a serious bummer seeing him go down at Le Mans in front of the home crowd, especially given the pace he had been riding at in qualifying. I couldn't quite get what was bothering Lorenzo, but I gathered from what he was saying that the shape of the tank allows him to hold on better with his legs. He always hole shots like a madman but then faded back. Seems reasonable that he was just getting fatigued. If there's a better sport with more impressive athletes, I've never seen it. It's not only so physical, but the narrow profile allowing frequent passes adds such an element of excitement, and I love the fact that you're literally trusting your life to the other riders. It's easy to see why Marquez is so reviled by the other riders. He seems like a decent enough guy off track, but he's going to seriously hurt someone.

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts
Thanks for that bit of information Krusty, I always wondered why they hung a leg out like that.

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
5 Posts
Rossi is a first class rider and racer. IMO Marq Marquez should be banned from MotoGP. He may be a good rider but he is an unsafe racer. Inexperience is one thing with a few of the newer GP racers, but he (Marquez) knows better and just races too aggressively especially when he is trying to make up positions.

· Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rossi is a first class rider and racer. IMO Marq Marquez should be banned from MotoGP. He may be a good rider but he is an unsafe racer. Inexperience is one thing with a few of the newer GP racers, but he (Marquez) knows better and just races too aggressively especially when he is trying to make up positions.
He never even admits - or worse, seems to realize - that what he does is wrong. Riding aggressive is expected, but he’s downright reckless. I hate the little “sorry, my bad!” wave he does after wiping someone out. Really, what else did he expect to happen?

· Premium Member
8,510 Posts
From above.
Rossi does seem to get credit for the Rossi dangle. I watched a video from a guy trying to explain the purpose. He qualified as an expert, as he had a Euro accent, and was more the 60 miles away. But he failed to talk about pressure from the outside knee, or foot peg pressure, or much of any use. Some of these guys have some useful info, but it lacks much deep understanding IMO.

The first secret about going fast on a track is the fit of the bike. 3 things: the forward thrust from braking, which is stopped by the gas tank. The rear thrust from acceleration which is stopped by the rear tail piece. The fit of the knees around the tank which mostly aims the bike. Lower seat height helps, and the fit of the bars and pegs. Take two identical bikes, one in cruiser riding mode, one with the fit from above, and notice the difference.

For cross country dirt bike riding, and riding at tracks like the Isle of Man. When the bike gets lose, it is usually because the knees are not clamped to the tank. It comes from getting tired. The IOM style of riding is different than the course track riding. We should ride more like the IOM guys IMO, as we too are on the street. Limited bum movement, looking forward, head over the elbow or wrist depending on your shape. Some necks bend differently than others. Most of these modern GP riders are 5' 8" and slim. They tuck in better than many of us.

Some bikes like my SV1000S fit me, partly because I knew what I was looking for. I did raise the bars an inch or so as I have short arms. I lowered the seat height as I have ducks disease too. So this thing goes where I want it to, mostly from body steering.
My Yamaha's do not fit the same way. They are the common sit up style, and the gas tanks are narrow at the back. They do not respond to body steering nearly as well, so the riding style has to change.

All the modern tracks that the GP riders are on, coupled with the modern tyres and brakes, allow these guys to hang off the sides, which they need to do to go fast.
A ride on a set of gumballs is staggering for grip, compared to the tyres we use on the street. But now the bikes make so much power they can shred a set of soft tyres.

Definitely watching IMO. Same with the IOM.

UK

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts
I have been recording and watching IOM. Just finished the 600cc race. Those guys fly and scare the bejesus our of me. Adam Lyons died in this race. RIP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.