Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

so I have a 2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 that I just bought, and the bike of course has an aoutomatic choke, that turns off after about 4-5 seconds. Sometimes the bike starts up fine and when the choke turns off it idles at 1200RPMs like it should, but more than not the bike will drop down to idle around 500RPMs after the auto choke turns off, and then a few seconds after idleing at 500 RPMs it shuts off as if it is starving for gas. I think the throttle body is set too low, I think that it is set to idle around 500 RPMs. Do you think it's the same problem? Or something else? If it is the throttle body then that is ieasy to fix right? Just remove the fuel tank and adjust the idle to 1200 RPMs? Please let me know if you have any advice or can help me in anyway. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
There should be an idle adjustment screw on the left hand side of the bike, you can rotate it and adjust the idle level. Try that first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I know about the idle switch but I wasn't able to find it... does the Suzuki GSX-R750 even have an idle switch? I don't think it does...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I have to remove the fuel tank to get to it right? Will I see it right when I get the fuel tank off? Do you guys think that will fix my problem? Thanks for the help, sorry, not a mechanic

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not familiar with your bike, but I think you should be able to access the adjusting knob without removing the tank. It would be slanting down towards the rear and it has an adjusting knob that is designed for turning with fingers. It would have a spring. You adjust it while your bike is running. Look for it on the left side as Dan631 noted and that would be the left as you're sitting on the bike. Don't know if it would fix your problem or not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, but from everything I have heard the throttle body and idle adjustment screw is located underneath the tank and you have to lift the tank to access it. Please someone let me know so I can confirm it and start workin on it tonight. Thanks everyone please don't stop your input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, looking at some pics of your bike, I'd say you'd have to remove the tank. Go to BikeBandit.com and look up your bike. There are schematics there and it may help you figure things out if you don't have a manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Petey. OK guys, I lifted the tank and found nothing but a clean plastic slate, no access to anything unless I take the bike apart. However, in the daylight I was able to locate the "gold screw" AKA the idle adjustment screw and increase my warm idle from 800 RPMs to 1250 RPMs, and now she purrs like a kitten. The **** thing took me 5 minutes! The idle adjustment screw was tucked in under the front left fairing in the 1st open vent it had, just able to be reached by hand. I turned the bike on, let the choke shut off, and as it was at 800 RPMs I turned the gold screw just a little and WALA! Up and running, no more dying out at stops or in neutral. Thank you to everyone, and now we know where that **** idle adjustment is hahaha. Safe riding everyone.

-Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts