Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2004 ninja 250r and had a question about the idle speed.

So, I set my idle in neutral at about 1300-1500 RPM. But when I change down into first gear, the idle speed goes down to what looks like just above 1000 RPM. Is this normal?

Or am I supposed to put it into first and then adjust the idle speed from inside first gear?

Thanks!

·
8,613 Posts
When you first adjusted your idle, I'd bet it was in neutral and on the side or center stand?? In neutral, there is no clutch drag.

If you are stopped, with the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in, there is still "OIL DRAG" between the drive and driven plates, causing enough friction to slow the idle down.

I may be wrong but I doubt it;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Correct. I had it in neutral with the stand down when I set the idle RPM. Should I kick the stand up and put it in first gear and then change the idle RPM? Sorry, I'm a little confused by what what you said, I'm new to motorcycles and not the best at mechanics (yet)

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
A smaller, high revving engine would have more of a drop in RPMs than a bigger engine, such as the one in my V-Max, between idling out of and in gear. And you are absolutely correct, Porky, about that friction. When the engine is cold, and I put it in gear, the idle will drop about 100 RPM. (When warmed up to operating temps, I notice no difference in RPM, but then again, it is probably just so little a drop I would not notice.)

Gooch, I do not have any experience with the little Ninja, but an idle speed of 1300, dropping to 1000 when the engine is cold sounds about what I would expect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts