Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. So I have 2004 Yamaha R6. I have never encountered or heard this but my bike suddenly does not want to go. Engine is on and everything sounds normal. I put on the first gear, the speedometer and odometer work as it moves forward but the bike stays in place. I tried all the say up to sixth gear (more than 60 mph) and doing the same thing. Does any one have any clues? Thanks.

·
American Legion Rider
25,892 Posts
I’m lost. How can the bike not move yet you say you had it all the way up to 60mph??? Maybe I just read it wrong and someone else gets it and can help.

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I’m lost. How can the bike not move yet you say you had it all the way up to 60mph??? Maybe I just read it wrong and someone else gets it and can help.
I know. I promise you I ain't high right now. I can't post a video clip on here. I'm lost, too. I heard others say it might be the clutch issue.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If the speedometer sensor is driven by the countershaft sprocket, it's possible with the chain either broken or off the sprocket that the speedometer would show speed without the bike moving. It would seem pretty obvious what the problem is, though.

·
Ace Tuner
3,483 Posts
Hi. So I have 2004 Yamaha R6. I have never encountered or heard this but my bike suddenly does not want to go. Engine is on and everything sounds normal. I put on the first gear, the speedometer and odometer work as it moves forward but the bike stays in place. I tried all the say up to sixth gear (more than 60 mph) and doing the same thing. Does any one have any clues? Thanks.
Moves forward but stays in place?
Can you translate that into sensible please.

S F

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
So you are saying that you put the bike into gear, accelarate, shift gears and the bike doesn't move but the speedometer does register speed as if you are moving?

Is that what you say?

Any grinding when you shift?

That is chain drive right? Is there a chain on it?

·
Ace Tuner
3,483 Posts
The speed sensor runs off the final output shaft (countershaft). If you have a drive chain on the bike, then the only other thing I can think of would be countershaft is not moving at the end where the sprocket is located but is spinning where the speed sensor is located.
That would indicate a major transmission problem. (Like a broke output shaft).
If that is what is going on then I'd think the bike would be making a bunch of abnormal noise as you shift up to 6th gear and the speedo shows 60 MPH.
Does it, make noise, abnormal ???

There is a drive chain in place, and on the sprocket, right?
S F

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
I think I would have been inspecting things rather than shifting thru the gears. First gear, no go. That would have got my interest. Chain and or a turning front sprocket would be a good place to look.

UK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you are saying that you put the bike into gear, accelarate, shift gears and the bike doesn't move but the speedometer does register speed as if you are moving?

Is that what you say?

Any grinding when you shift?

Correct. I don't hear any grinding noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The speed sensor runs off the final output shaft (countershaft). If you have a drive chain on the bike, then the only other thing I can think of would be countershaft is not moving at the end where the sprocket is located but is spinning where the speed sensor is located.
That would indicate a major transmission problem. (Like a broke output shaft).
If that is what is going on then I'd think the bike would be making a bunch of abnormal noise as you shift up to 6th gear and the speedo shows 60 MPH.
Does it, make noise, abnormal ???

S F
I've been reading through forums after forums. It seems like I have the same issue as the guy on this link below.

·
Zip
2,512 Posts
I've been reading through forums after forums. It seems like I have the same issue as the guy on this link below.
Well there you go. Check to see if your front sprocket has fallen off.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
Yeah you need to check the final drive from one end to the other and let us know what you find.

·
Ace Tuner
3,483 Posts
I didn't go to the link but...

S F
I think I would have been inspecting things rather than shifting thru the gears. First gear, no go. That would have got my interest. Chain and or a turning front sprocket would be a good place to look.
UK
Well there you go. Check to see if your front sprocket has fallen off.
Yeah you need to check the final drive from one end to the other and let us know what you find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts