Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is an earball remover for ya!
I am using a copy of the yamaha service manual that includes all the supplements for all the XS11 bikes. The manual says to use all of the main repair manual(primarily the E and F models), and any supplements that may apply, to repair the XS1100 from 78, to 82.

The main manual says to connect the tach to the yellow wire on the alternator stator, the connector has a yellow wire, but this wire does not exist, so I will have to disconnect the existing tach connection to the white wire, and add a yellow one for the tach. Now, in my models wiring diagram, the tach connects to a white wire on the stator, that is shared by a termination of the same stator wire, at the headlight relay. The yellow is not there.
The actual real wiring uses two white wires to hook up, one to the headlight relay, and one to the tach.
I am now very upset about resistance and ohmage....
voltage is becoming an issue also...
I read in this 300 page pamphlet somewhere that this model may use accesories that alter the amperage in the electrics so they have forgone the use of an ammeter, in exchange for a volt meter, during testing to simplify the testing. Good idea! Downsizing is always a great idea!
I have added an ammeter to one of my custom side covers, and I purchased a fairing pocket cover that has a voltmeter in it so I have them both covered.

kwueschun wuhn - if everything else works on the machine, do you think it is a good idea for me to go dinking around in the charging system to see if I can get it to work?
qwestshun ptoo - how far would you trust the Yamaha service manual? I have heard that some good mechanics don't use some manuals because they are completely wrong in some cases... I guess I am asking,"how trustwrothy is the yamaha service manual'? If I follow the manual to the letter, will it function properly? Or is customizing a better choice at this juncture?
the bike is 30yrs antique as of 2011 and 33 does not seem like a very lucky number right now! (I really need to go for a ride...)

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Xs11

There is an XS11 site where some of the guys have good knowledge.

My manual sucks.
It says to remove the fork seals, but not one word on how.
It says to adjust the steering head bearings, but not one word on how.
For more detailed info I ask my Yami buddies at that site.

Unkle Crusty

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
I'll ask a dumb question. Could the yellow wire they refer to BE the white wire on your machine? Just a color change. I know it's probably wrong. I don't care for the spark spark flash flash whoops whoops part of a bike for this very reason that you are at.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
different superfluous wiring systems

I would like to add that I don't think there are two motorcycles that are wired the same way.
That being said... I am afear of them japs finding out there was a second type of stator(the delta has mostly been used in the USA) and then sticking it on this paticular model just to sell in the US. Not very probable.
Then after sticking it on there, they find their IC regulator is producing a half wave power from it(because the full wave system they designed is used to having the tach hooked up to the yellow wire instead of the white one) and the flagship yamaha cruiser wiring starts to overheat around 1981, so they decide to beef it up and stomp honda for the quartermile title...
Do you think they would build a big cruiser like this to sell as a strip it and race it version? 12 second 1/4 mile in 1981 took everybody out! and a 1/4 mile wouldn't overheat the electronics either!!! But suppose they really did this. that would mean that I would have to rewire everything, fix their mistakes and build a complete custom cruiser...bah boo hoo, can you tell I'm the youngest?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts