Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm pulling up to a red light. There's an old Nissan pickup truck stopped in front of me. It's slightly uphill. I stopped about 6 feet behind the pickup truck. A car stopped behind me. The light turns green. Now all of a sudden the pickup truck starts rolling backwards. Must be a stick shift. I see that he's picking up speed and I don't have enough time to get out of the way. I get on the horn and finally the guy seems to wake up and peels out with about two feet of room left.

So, here in Florida, you have to watch for not just the guy behind you but also the guy in front of you. In a way I'm kind of glad that most intersections here are flat and that stick shifts are not very common anymore.

·
Nightfly
4,601 Posts
Stick shift requires a driver to pay attention to what he or she is doing behind the wheel. as you do on your bike. I hate to see the stick shift go by the wayside and it seems because people have become too lazy. Maybe if they drove stick they wouldn't be on their damn phone as much and would pay more attention to being behind the wheel.

I've always driven stick shift and there are numerous steep hills with stop signs and red lights around here. You have to be quick with your feet or know how to use the emergency brake. Foot brake on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
670 Posts
I told both my boys when teaching them to drive...

every car/vehicle/person you see is about to do something stupid, always prepare for it

Keep that mindset every time you are on the road, regardless of how many wheels your rolling on and you will greatly increase your chances of going home every day.

·
On The Road Again!
4,199 Posts
leximon;2578720. Now all of a sudden the pickup truck starts rolling backwards. Must be a stick shift. I see that he's picking up speed and I don't have enough time to get out of the way.[/QUOTE said:
Aw c'mon. I don't believe you.
There are no hills in Florida, so how could that truck roll backwards?
LOL!!!!
:devil::devil::devil:

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
I believe 6 feet is way to close to begin with. Maybe because I lived near San Franfreaksco and drove stick shifts, I've always left nearly a full cars length even on a bike. If some jerk feels they can crowd in that space, so be it. But in general it gives me plenty of room to get the heck out of there if someone looks like they will run into me from the rear or someone doesn't pay attention in front. That space has saved my bacon on several occasions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking back at the event, a part of the problem might have been that I was in the middle of the lane facing straight forward. When the truck started rolling back I didn't think I had enough room to escape to the side. More room, as well as stopping closer to one side of the lane or the other could have prevented a close call.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I avoid the middle of the roadway most all the time, especially at stop signs and traffic lights. Oil, brake fluid, tranny fluid, anti-freeze, nuts, bolts, screws and other stuff seems to collect there. Not bad as in years past though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I avoid the center if I see a lot of oil or debris, but a lot of intersections have traffic light sensor loops in the center so if I'm the first in line I try to be right on top of it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I believe 6 feet is way to close to begin with. Maybe because I lived near San Franfreaksco and drove stick shifts, I've always left nearly a full cars length even on a bike. If some jerk feels they can crowd in that space, so be it. But in general it gives me plenty of room to get the heck out of there if someone looks like they will run into me from the rear or someone doesn't pay attention in front. That space has saved my bacon on several occasions.
A lot hills around here.

When I'm driving a stick car, and some jerk is behind me that was tailgating me, and is now sitting close behind me, at a stop, I always let the vehicle roll back as much as possible...that terrified look in their eyes is gratifying...although, now a days, they're not looking up...they're looking down at their phone...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts