Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The neighbors keep calling on my bike for being on the sidewalk..

No garage, needs to be near the house so I can plug it in.

Here's my question. I built a wooden ramp 2 1/2 feet wide up my stairway so I can park my 300 pound bike on it. It's a 25 degree incline with sandpaper- like grip tape for traction and two 2" blocks to chalk the wheels.

It's not enough to keep it in place tho, anyone else park your bike on an incline or is this a lost cause?

Any ideas on how to secure the bike or chauk the wheels so it won't roll down or fall over??

·
It hurts when I pee
1,058 Posts
Tough one. What a bummer. :frown:

Maybe you can hook a rachet strap to it to pull it forward so it won't roll back.

You might need to post a pic of the stairway and railing. You might have to email the picture to someone to post it, I'm not sure how many posts you need before you can.

Why do you need to always plug the bike in ??? I would rather buy a battery now and then, than go through all that hassle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This may sound like a stupid Question but you are putting the bike in first when you parkit right? If so I agree with trying a ratchet strap on the front end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could also use eyelets and tie the bike down to the ramp as if it were on a lift or in transport nail a board on both sides of the front tire to keep it straight and ratchet strap it to the platform. Thats how I put mine on my 18 ft trailer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for all the replies.

I hadn't thought of rachet straps, I think I'll try that along with something to keep the wheel straight like gmarasia suggested. Thanks for all the suggestions

Yeah kinda poor planning on my part as far as the plug goes. It's an electric bike that needs nightly charging (zero s) and I assumed with a 15 foot sidewalk no one would care if it was parked there. Apparently not.

It'll probably take a couple days but I'll post some pics of the final project/progress

Oh yeah, it's one gear electric so no first or anything else on the bike to slow backward roll

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I'm curious about your neighbors.

Do they actually use the sidewalk past your house, and the bike is in their way, or do they just know it is against the law and they feel like being busybodies?

Have you told them why you park your bike there?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha I'm curious about them too. I think they're calling simply because it's against the law. I see a bike parked on the sidewalk a few blocks down all the time so I assumed it wouldn't be a problem. The tickets say "citizen complaint" so that leads me to believe it's a neighbor and not some random meter maid cruising around. Parking is definitely an issue ( like all cities I'm sure) and there are monthly "parking summits." I bet there's a "parking summit" busy body living on the street. Wish I knew who so I could talk to them. People get ticketed for blocking the entire sidewalk with their car from time to time but there's a good 10-12 feet of space with my bike on the sidewalk. U could be an 800 pounder in a Wheelchair and get by with room to spare. Man Im drunk :p

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Gotta luv those spineless anonymous neighbors.

I vote rachet strap -- just make certain its a color that's approved by the neighborhood watch. :)

Good luck

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Let me get this straight, ... you're parking your bike on a flight of stairs?

I'm just trying to picture this. Maybe that's the only place to put it? us non-city dwellers aren't accustomed to that.

thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ratchet strap it is... Yeah it's a flight of stairs but a 1950's all cement rebuild of old Edwardian or Victorian stairs or something like that. I'll have to post a pic when I can. Its like a spiral staircase but only a 90 degree left turn, 7 feet wide and approx 5 or 6 foot elevation.

The houses are touching each other so no room in between. And besides the cord, I like to have it chained to the metal bolts I put in the cement... I'm havin all kinds of fun with the hammerdrill with this one

·
It's all about attitude
880 Posts
do you own this house? And where are you suppose to park a vehicle?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No chance of it going inside (would have to go up 27 total steps).
No garage so street parking is all that's avaiable. Don't own but have owners permission to do what I want as far as a ramp goes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha the bums and fanatics are what make it terrible haha... Still working on this project... Taking some days off due to rain

1 - 20 of 24 Posts