Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be changing the front brake disc and brake pads this weekend on my '93 Virago. I don't have a motorcycle jack/stand, just a floor jack. What would be the safest way to use the floor jack to get the front wheel out?

·
On The Road Again!
4,341 Posts
Or...Put it on the center stand and lean on the back end to get the front wheel off the floor.
Have some else wedge some scraps of lumber under the front edge of the crankcase.

That should do it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. You guys are on the same page as me. I think I will just make a wood block just high enough to support the bike so the front wheel will come out. I'll have a second pair of hands to hold it steady until its supported.
There is only a side stand on this model btw.

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki C90T
694 Posts
With help, you can slightly lean it back and forth, inserting more and more blocks under each side and work it u tall. Same with working it back down taking a block out at a time.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Looking at photos of the Virago, I don't see many hard points at the front of the engine. You may be better served by screwing together some 2x4s to make an engine cradle type adapter for your floor jack, and use straps to something to keep it from falling. With the jack, you can raise it slowly, and make sure it isn't going to tip as the weight comes off the front wheel.

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
I lift my bikes from above. Easy to put two posts in the ground with a cross beam. Hang a chain hoist on the cross beam and you can lift all kinds of stuff. Plan B. Brace the beam across the top of the garage doors. Connect your hoist or pulley system to the beam.

UK

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like that idea, I already have something in place I can use. I have a hand winch bolted to the wall I hoist my truck canopy up with in the spring. Then lower back on the truck in the fall.
I can support the canopy with straps and use the cables to hoist the front end.
For this I could even just use 2 straps from the roof to the handlebars. Bob's your uncle, done deal.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well its all done. I accidentally ordered the wrong year rotor and pads. had to return them and order the proper set.
Last night, jacked and strapped it up, in 30mins had the brakes and wheel off. Put the new rotor on, reinstalled the wheel, lowered it back down. Cleaned up the caliper and put the new pads in, bolted it all up. Checked all my torque specs and voila!
Pumped the brakes and got them back to normal and took it out to my parking lot for testing and burnishing (?) them before hitting the streets.
I was bit nervous how much more grab they might have, but they seem to have just the right amount. Did some panic stops, did some regular stops, general start and stop daily scenarios and they worked well. I am happy with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts