Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some thoughts.

Factory windshield on my Kawasaki, in the full up position (it's electric) if I move my head 2" forward and 2" down I lose all buffeting, wind noise. ***

Obviously it's not tall enough.

Aftermarket windshield on my Silverwing ... too close to rider's head. Cannot "hop" bike off center stand without hitting windshield with helmet. Needs to
be more vertical, less raked.

Personally I prefer a 50/50 windshield --- where I can look over the windscreen or through it; the line is right in the middle of my vision.

I can't ride my buddy's Harley, the screen is so low my glasses get buffeted so badly I really can't see at speeds over 40mph. It's absolute misery croucing down just to be able to see.

Of course, a bike with an electric windshield offers you the best of all worlds...although I VERY SELDOM find i"m putting it all the way down, except in bumper to bumper traffic where I want as much airflow as possible.

*** this is so obviously screwed up, as I'm only 5'8" and have to duck yet the Kawasaki Concours is really designed for a rider 5'10 or better whose head will be WAAAY above the top of the windshield. Did Kawasaki just cheap out with a short windshield or is it a marketing/styling thing to put on tiny windscreens.

·
American Legion Rider
23,699 Posts
Did you buy it new or used? If used maybe someone changed it. I do on mine or cut one down if I feel it's doable and Harley's were very easy to cut down as any whoopsies would be covered up anyway cutting the bottom off instead of the top.

·
On The Road Again!
3,848 Posts
In my opinion, the proper windshield height is so your eyes are JUST looking over the top of the shield when you are looking straight ahead down the road.
I've always set my shields this way and never have a problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've experimented with windscreen airflow on different bikes using tufts of yarn taped in various spots and making observations at speed in "the people's wind tunnel", aka the Interstate Highway System.

One approach is the "barn door" style, which is probably your buddy's Harley. Big surface to block wind with the rider positioned well below the top edge. But if the rider is too tall or the screen too short, he will suffer buffeting as airflow spills over the top of the screen and fills in the low-pressure area behind (the yarn trick reveals this nicely).

A better solution, now popular on sport-touring bikes such as your C14, is to fill in the low pressure area behind the screen with airflow directed up from the base. Note on your bike how the panel aft of the screen channels the wind. This reduces buffeting by reducing the turbulent flow over the top edge. With ideal design and adjustment, you're in smooth flowing air.

Personal preference, I guess, but I like to look over the screen and be in a quiet breeze. With my FJR, I can usually adjust the screen to achieve that.

·
On The Road Again!
3,848 Posts
I've experimented with windscreen airflow on different bikes using tufts of yarn taped in various spots and making observations at speed in "the people's wind tunnel", aka the Interstate Highway System.
Great idea, Sal! I never thought of that. Just for the heck of it, I'll have to give that a try come spring.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
How high.

So you can look over the top to a spot about 15 feet in front of the bike.
The Yami I got last year has the window about four inches above my head, so I would have to look thru it. The fog was so thick and heavy today, I had to lift my visor. Would have been real hard to see if looking thru the windshield.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Ace Tuner
2,946 Posts
I've never personally owned a bike with a 'barn door' type windscreen. But I've done a bunch of test rides on bikes with em.
For me, I want to be able to see THRU the windshield or all the way OVER it.
Really bugs me when the top edge is in my line of sight.

Unkle Krusty's 15 foot method sounds like the type I would want to use, if I wanted to use one.
In my area it rarely gets cold enough for me to want a big windshield. I have to hug the fuel tank to see thru my windscreens.

·
Visionary
4,656 Posts
I had a tall windshield on my vstar when I got it, it was perfectly smooth at speed but I had to look through it. First time it rained I figured out that wasn't the greatest idea and tried one 3 inches shorter.
This one is a bit less protection from the wind but I was very grateful to be able to see over it a few times in the rain/fog, and then there was that one cold, foggy morning when my entire windshield ( and helmet, clothes, and bike) iced up over going over the mountain on I80 on the way to work. I would have had to stop if I couldn't see over the shield, it was totally opaque for about 15 miles, till I went down the other side and the 1/8 inch of ice melted off.

So you can look over the top to a spot about 15 feet in front of the bike.
The Yami I got last year has the window about four inches above my head, so I would have to look thru it. The fog was so thick and heavy today, I had to lift my visor. Would have been real hard to see if looking thru the windshield.

Unkle Krusty*

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
A better solution, now popular on sport-touring bikes such as your C14,
I can't say the FACTORY shield on my 2008 works worth a darn. Unless I drop my head 2" and move it forward an inch or more.

Supposedly they made the screen a LITTLE taller in 2009/10.

The factory shield on the 2015 Connie added a swiveling duct that reportedly reduces buffeting considerably... They're pretty proud of it...

Yeah, NO! I went with a $175 "National" instead, 4-5" taller.

Have you seen the "behind the seat" rollbar/screens on the BMW convertibles, MB Kompressor convertibles, etc. Supposedly they eliminate most of the buffeting experienced by the passengers.

How long did it take engineers to figure THAT simple fix out? 50 years?

Eventually someone will figure out an airflow management system for bikes that works better than just sticking a Lexan barn door in front of the rider's face. Maybe it'll be active, with a blower motor, or a deflector/wing whose angle changes with speed to push an invisible curtain of air up that interacts with oncoming air and pushes rain, etc. over the top of the rider's helmet.

A windscreen made of air.

·
American Legion Rider
23,699 Posts
I had one of those on my Mercedes 350SL and it worked great. Expensive for what it is but the results were great. I just don't think that's the same problem on bikes although the small flags I have on the tourpak to show some air coming from behind. Kinda weird seeing a flag point to your back as you go forward. But normally the flags do point back but barely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts