Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Their mileage is probably distance from one point to another........yours includes the distance from the road to the gas station and back to the road.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts

·
6,952 Posts
Congrats on your ride!

I've never entered a certified Ironbutt event, maybe someday.

I did pull a 25ft pace, 102 wide trailer weighing 10,000 lbs from Carthage, Mo to Hemet, CA in 23 hours, non-stop, using my Dodge Ram Cummins diesel pickup! About 1,450 miles.

My Dad did it in 1955 on hwy 66 from Carthage, to Long Beach, CA, in 18 hours, driving his hemi powered Desoto. About 1,600 miles.
Sam:)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was trying for 1600 miles in 24 hrs, but roadworks on I 80 in most states, had closed one side down, so it was single lane traffic, and I couldn't keep the speed up.
The link goes to my blog, and the certificate.
They gave me a Bun Burner.. next one up from the Saddlesore 1000.
So it reads 1500+ in Under 36 Hrs.

Well done Porky ! Bet your dad had a story to tell, I have ridden most of the old rte 66, along the single lane parts too, so pulling a big trailer, in those days, must have been an adventure.

Take Care Out There

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Since you have spent a ton of consecutive hours on a motorcycle..........

What do you do about the heat that your butt feels? Solutions? Tricks?

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Since being re built, after the drunk driver hit me, I have really bad circulation, so I am more or less permanently cold.
I wear First Gear Meshtex jacket & pants, with additional strap on knee / shin & forearm / elbow armour, as the mesh will not stand up to much of a slide.

If it gets too cold, I put my rain gear on, over the top, as a draught excluder.
Also, I have the smallest of the Butt Buffer Gel pads, but, never used it, this year.

Take Care Out There

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=97227

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Well done Porky ! Bet your dad had a story to tell, I have ridden most of the old rte 66, along the single lane parts too, so pulling a big trailer, in those days, must have been an adventure.
Back in the early 60s I rode, with my dad driving, the length of route 66 from Chicago to LA. We were moving to the LA area from Montreal and 66 was the best way to get there. We probably looked like a bunch of depression era Okies but that road was our best bet and we used it, trailer and all. These days there are only bits and pieces of it left and I have been on some of them but it is not like experiencing the real road across America that US 66 used to be.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Back in the early 60s I rode, with my dad driving, the length of route 66 from Chicago to LA. We were moving to the LA area from Montreal and 66 was the best way to get there. We probably looked like a bunch of depression era Okies but that road was our best bet and we used it, trailer and all. These days there are only bits and pieces of it left and I have been on some of them but it is not like experiencing the real road across America that US 66 used to be.
I've always been told of the history of Route 66 back in the day. Would have been nice to experience it first hand though..

·
6,952 Posts
MGRIDER, I learned to drive on route 66, when I was 12 years old, in 1959.

The road in many areas was so straight that my Dad felt confident that I could do it and it worked out fine.

Do you remember in those days, that the road was only one lane in either direction???? Passing was a real 'pucker' experience!

My Kids live in Southern CA, right near the old 66 and the old 66 passes 4 miles from my house and the city where I live. I'm leaving soon to drive out there and will be on 66 and I 40 a lot.

Take care!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
MGRIDER, I learned to drive on route 66, when I was 12 years old, in 1959.

The road in many areas was so straight that my Dad felt confident that I could do it and it worked out fine.

Do you remember in those days, that the road was only one lane in either direction???? Passing was a real 'pucker' experience!

My Kids live in Southern CA, right near the old 66 and the old 66 passes 4 miles from my house and the city where I live. I'm leaving soon to drive out there and will be on 66 and I 40 a lot.

Take care!

Unfortunately, I was not able to start touring the USA until 2006.
I come over each year, for 2 - 3 months, and do a different route each time.
So, I forget what year, it was, that we did most of rte 66, but yes, we covered a lot of the old road, including the signs that say old rte 66 this way....
But it does not say, Dead End, until you have ridden about 12 miles, then get to a Dead End sign, about 50 yards from where the road turns into a cornfield.:biggrin:
I think its Oklahoma, where the best preserved sections of single lane roadway are, today.
But we got well past the halfway point, in Adrian Texas, it was a great trip.
You should write a book ! There are a lot of people who are interested in the history of The Mother Road !
Take Care Out There

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW, Ok I guess the reality of the situation was totally different, to the way Route 66 is portrayed / glamorized by the media.
As said, I think it was Oklahoma, that was so broke, that they could only manage a single lane concrete road.
Considering the amount of Rte 66 enthusiasts out there, have you thought about writing a book, about your trip along the Mother Road ?

Take Care Out There

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Route 66 was mostly a 2 lane road but was the best available path from Chi-town to LA. When I visited a bit of the remaining road in Oklahoma recently it was definitely reminiscent of the old road but I could have made much better time on I-40 with no surprises. Old US-66 was just fine in its day but was no match for modern roads. When we got into California on it we got to enjoy desert driving on a road that was merely a paved surface over old lava flows that moved up and down about 30 feet every few hundred yards. Today, nobody would tolerate any road like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts