Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time Rider. Going to buy this Honda VTX1800 at wholesale . All it needs are exhaust chrome covers cause the originals are rusty . Its been completely gone thru with an oil change . No leaks. 2003 Honda VTX 1800 for $2950 . Deal of the century ???

Anyway, please talk about your experience with this model and any tips you may offer up. TY, Dave 6'3" / 255 lbs. Meaty.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I came *this* close to buying a VTX1800 they look awesome. The size seemed good, but the weight was really intimidating. They're really top-heavy IMO especially with a full tank.

Are you really a 1st time rider? The VTX is a massive bike to be learning on, even if you are a big guy..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I came *this* close to buying a VTX1800 they look awesome. The size seemed good, but the weight was really intimidating. They're really top-heavy IMO especially with a full tank.

Are you really a 1st time rider? The VTX is a massive bike to be learning on, even if you are a big guy..
I am truly a first time Rider. I want to buy a Bike im going to stay with. Im not into the upgrade thing...I want a Bike ill hand onto forever and I want one that's suitable for my riding . IVe had a couple Dealers tell me to go at least 1100 cc's for what I want it for. The VTX1800 seems well balanced to me and the deal is great . It would be my first n last Bike.

·
American Legion Rider
23,697 Posts
Good luck with that. Not saying it can't be done but it's not common. Start small and learn on something that is less likely to kill you is what we or I suggest. Your first year is normally full of little mistakes. I'm certainly glad you won't have those problems. If we never hear from you again we'll know what probably happened. Really, good luck.:thumbsup:

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
I know 115lb. ladies that started on Street Glides. Take a riding course and practice...practice...practice...

·
2007 Yamaha Road Star Silverado 1700
4,671 Posts
I just got a Road Star 1700. There is NO way I could EVER imagine trying to learn to ride on a bike that big.

Also, don't be fooled into thinking you'll keep the bike. If you are like 99% of riders, sometime next year you'll be lusting over another bike.

·
American Legion Rider
23,697 Posts
Also, don't be fooled into thinking you'll keep the bike. If you are like 99% of riders, sometime next year you'll be lusting over another bike.
Boy that's a fact. Heck, sometimes your LAST bike isn't your last. Seems to me like I said the Harley I'm riding would be my last and what am I doing right now, looking at yet ONE more. But I am finding getting rid of a perfectly good bike is harder to do than one that has problems.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ditto cowboy, hell ive said that very same thing "gonna ride the wheels off this thing" then its hits me, this obsessive urge to find a new bike. Well Dave I could almost guarantee a VTX 1800 aint gonna be your last bike unless your like 78 yo and for real, you are only gonna ride 2 or 3 years (or 5) more years. Just my HO. Good luck Dave, we are all rootin for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
I am not a vtx1800 rider but I am of similar hwp as you and just got a liter bike(1100 I started on a 750). This thing is scary fast and handles like a boat. to me handling is fairly important. if handling is something that is important I would find something smaller if comfort is a goal you should find something comfortable and try it for a while, if you think the 1800 isn't too much then I would say go for it.

·
8,613 Posts
A first time rider has no business on a VTX1800. It is a big and very powerful cruiser and it is also heavy at a standstill and in slow traffic.

The HP and torque of the VTX1800 surpasses all but the Suzuki C109 Cruiser and the M109. I had a 2002 VTX1800R and a 2010 C109.

Do yourself a favor and get a 600 to 750cc cruiser or a Suzuki Volusia 800/ M50 and learn on it.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
41 Posts
A first time rider has no business on a VTX1800. It is a big and very powerful cruiser and it is also heavy at a standstill and in slow traffic.

The HP and torque of the VTX1800 surpasses all but the Suzuki C109 Cruiser and the M109. I had a 2002 VTX1800R and a 2010 C109.

Do yourself a favor and get a 600 to 750cc cruiser or a Suzuki Volusia 800/ M50 and learn on it.

I have a 2002 VTX1800c and a 2008 C109rt and neither of these bikes are suited for a beginner. When I first rode the Honda I told my wife it was like riding an elephant, but once I got used to it I loved it. When I first rode the C109rt it was an even bigger challenge. I love both bikes and do not want to ever get rid of either bike. I am going to probably buy an Indian Chieftain later this year. I say it is going to be my last bike but I said that when I got the Honda and again when I got the C109rt. LOL. I doubt there will ever be a last bike until I die.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I still have my first bike, a Suzuki VL800, after riding for almost three years now. I'm looking to upgrade by the end of the year and the VTX 1800 is one of the bikes I'm looking at. Knowing the little mishaps I had in my first year and the accident I had in my second year, there's no way I'd want to start on a VTX 1800 or anything close to it. There's a good chance I would have been hurt or not survived it.

·
8,613 Posts
Another drive by poster:biggrin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts