Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if my wife would humor my attempts in the Spring, to trade in my Shadow ACE for a Harley or an Indian?????

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I can say is that my first wife once said, "It's either me or that motorcycle!"

Second wife has never said anything like that.......
I COULD buy a 2014 Triumph I suppose. THIS one looks mighty nice! I wonder if a Parallel Twin has any advantages over a V-Twin???

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,501 Posts
It's the natural progression to want to go bigger and better. But truly do your homework. The big question you need to ask is what is that itch you need to scratch. I scratched my itch years ago and was happy and disappointed at the same time. Bikes changed a lot since then and all brands are pretty rock solid today.

So be sure you know why you want to change and finding the bike that answers that question will put you way ahead. You mention Harley and Triumph. Two rather different machines. Almost sounds like you just want a change but don't know what to. Time for some soul searching then.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
The parallel does have a more even cooling design, but the Indian is an awesome machine. I would go for the Indian if it was me, and my wife would be all for it!

Just tell her that Hondas were only meant to be around for a few years and passed on to another rider, that's just the way it is.

·
American Legion Rider
18,501 Posts
I brought a new guy with me to a PGR mission who had an Indian. I've wanted one when they were being built one at a time per order but they was way too expensive. So the other day was the first time I heard one. All I can say is Harley better pay attention to their customers or the only ones they'll have will be die hards. That Indian is one sweet machine. Best I've heard in some time. And it was 100% stock.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Not sure about your wife but Randy's wife might be happy if he were to pass a bike like that on to her if she didn't already have one of her own... And, I was the one that told him we needed a better touring bike. I also picked the color of our Vision.

I'm just saying...:D :D

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
To be honest, Soupy, l am surprised you don't already have a Harley...it would fit you well! But leave the Triumph for some other poor chap...you're too busy to be workin on it all the time :)

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Shadow I currently own, satisfies the "itch" for me, on a lot of levels, but if I decided to change to another bike (I imagine someday I WILL), the only two things that I would like to improve on would be the weight capacity potential, and the motor size (which may go hand in hand on some level). I also would like a bit more driver instrumentation (gas gauge, tank instrumentation).

I'd like to be on something that is 1,000cc or higher, and I'd like to be able to carry my wife and not be at my limits on weight capacity. That's not a shot at her.........it's just a reality. I believe (if I remember my Owners Manual correctly) that my current weight capacity is 395 lbs. (?). I'm 220, and my wife is the same (I'm six feet tall, and she is 5'2"). I don't know if a "bigger motor size" means a bigger frame, and thus a bigger weight capacity or not, but I'm making that assumption.

I'm surprised at the opinion offered by hawkaholic37. Is it true that Triumphs need lots of attention, mechanically? I've heard that about HD's of course, but had not heard that thus far, about Triumph. What interests me about the Triumph IS the Parallel Twin concept, and its longevity as a brand.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,501 Posts
Why did you leave Victory out then? Must be something more specific you're after. I've not heard of any Victory rider having problems and they can handle a pretty good payload. So I don't think you are being honest with yourself yet.

For me it was just the fact I ALWAYS wanted a Harley. For no reason other than a WANT. I had a Honda dealer ask me why I wanted to change from Honda. Had Honda ever failed me? The answer was no so it was sure a good argument on his part but he could never ever address that WANT.

I also always wanted an Indian but they were not very available back then and no dealerships. That's changed so my other itch may get satisfied. Why Indian? My grandpa had both Harley and Indian and always said the Indian was the better bike. He may have been right back then and I want to see if that still holds true. After what I saw this week, I'm betting it is.

Like I said, all the major brands are pretty darn reliable now. I would not be swayed one way other the other there. As far as parallel twin goes, I've had them. They are much smoother but sound different. If you get used to the V-twin they just don't sound right. That smoothness though probably is good in the long run. Just from shaking apart.

I also like the sound of a triple. Not many around but it is a unique sound. And the power band on those is unreal. But in your case if you just want to be able to ride two up more comfortable why not go Goldwing? Like I said, I don't think you are being honest with yourself on why you are considering a Harley.

I don't fit a Goldwing. Legs are too long so they hit the Tupperware. I fit Harleys. I fit even better on an Indian I've found out. My itch is starting to bug me big time.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why did you leave Victory out then? .............I also like the sound of a triple............... if you just want to be able to ride two up more comfortable why not go Goldwing? ..................
Victory impresses me with their mechanical design (motor), that's for sure! I left them out only because I don't care for the visual effects of the Cruisers (the style I like best). They look a bit too "arrow" like, for my particular taste. I do acknowledge the increase in the following of loyal owners and their increasingly "sound" reputation.

I know absolutely NOTHING about a "triple" and am willing to learn.

Admittedly, with the lowering of the seat on a Goldwing, they re-peaked my interest in them as a Touring bike, but I lean more toward the Cruiser market, with amenities. The last and only Goldwing I tried out, still had the higher seat, (some years ago now) and I couldn't "flat foot" on it. I remember it as enormously difficult to maneuver at slow speeds and in parking lots. The Goldwing has been the leader in Passenger comfort (imho) but I don't ride a passenger enough to make that the criteria for purchasing one.

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my investigation of the 2015 HD's, I stumbled on a "Switchback."

Huh?! Never heard of em!! I see that they go back at LEAST to 2013 anyway.

What size motors are available in the Switchback? Anyone know anything about em??

In this Road Test video I found, I note the attention that the guy pays to the vibration factor. You know, with all the talk about how "things come loose on a bike," you'd think that the HD people would try to reduce the amount of "vibration" to KEEP things from loosening up, wouldn't you? That's not a criticism really...........just an observation:

What do YOU know about the Switchback? What are YOUR thoughts?

-Soupy

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A friend of mine just purchased a Switchback this year. I'm impressed with the styling and it handles really well, even at low speeds. It has the 103 engine (1688 cc). The Dynas are a fairly small-framed bike, being only slightly larger than the Sporty. I'm not sure what the passenger capacity is.

Attachments

·
American Legion Rider
18,501 Posts
I'm assuming you've already seen the specs. One Harley I've wanted was what they called a Sport Glide. Had I not had my head up my butt in 85 I could have had one. But I didn't think I wanted a cop bike and that's what a lot of cops had at the time where I lived. It is arguably the best bike Harley ever made. So since I was considering downsizing and was looking for an FXRT, those in the know suggested the Switchback instead. Exactly why I do not know except it can be dressed out pretty good. I don't think it will match the FXRT though as being the best. Eye_m_no_angel might be able to say if the frame comes close to the FXRT. I don't think it does. I think the reason it was suggest is they knew I want nearly a full dresser in a smaller package. The Switchback can come close. That is a fact. I think/thought the frame is the same as other Dynas so no big deal there. It comes with the 103 which is bigger than I have now so to me that wasn't downsizing much. I kinda discounted the whole idea. If Harley ever uses the Switchback to create a sportier full dresser I may take another look though. I'm not sure if anyone here has one.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,857 Posts
Have test rode all the New Polaris Indians and they are a fine ride and well built machine .. Test Rode most of the New Harleys as well .. They also ride well but have a lot of options there .. The Switchback seemed a decent machine but been spoiled with my Last 2 Rides being a 2009 Ultra Classic and the 2012 Victory Cross Country and the switchback just didn't have the comfort the wife likes when she does ride with me plus I like the cargo space offered by the Ultra and Vic as well .. Both also carry well above 400 lbs weight not sure what the limit is on the Switchback .. Whatever you decide take your time before deciding and buying, as it is a Hefty investment ..

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Yeap, the Switchback is a Dyna model, so it's what you could consider the next evolution of the FXR. Whether it's a better frame or not then the FXR is all in your point of view.

"You know, with all the talk about how "things come loose on a bike," you'd think that the HD people would try to reduce the amount of "vibration" to KEEP things from loosening up, wouldn't you? "

They started doing that over 30 years ago. For the FXR we're talking about, the "R" stands for "Rubber mounted engine. All of them, and their successors the Dynas, have all been rubber mounted. Now, every Harley made has a mounted engine except the Softail line. The Softails use an internal counter-weight balance system.

When people talk about things vibrating off a Harley you can put that in the same category as people talking about them leaking oil. Sure, it can happen, but it's no more likely on a modern Hog then on any other brand.

But there still is, and always will be, a certain amount of V-twin vibration on a Harley. It's part of what many people love about them. It's part of what gives them that unique Harley feel. When I swing my leg over a Hog I know what I'm riding and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Since it was mentioned I'll also add that modern Harley's require slightly less routine maintenance then almost any other brand. From what I understand Victory is right up there too. (I'm not sure about Indian.) You'll save a butt-load of money if you learn to do basic maintenance yourself, but that's true of any brand of motorcycle.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
.........................there still is, and always will be, a certain amount of V-twin vibration on a Harley....................modern Harley's require slightly less routine maintenance then almost any other brand. From what I understand Victory is right up there too. (I'm not sure about Indian.) You'll save a butt-load of money if you learn to do basic maintenance yourself, but that's true of any brand of motorcycle.
I've learned first hand of course, how "vibration" is a concern on ALL bikes, not just HD. I just found it interesting that the fella in the video, doing the road test, thought the vibration significant enough to mention as he did.

Thanks for the statistics concerning maintenance. I AM capable of doing my own maintenance, to a point. I'm much more proficient in car and truck repair than motorcycles, but I'm getting better at it, over time.

Would a Parallel motor vibrate less and have less incidents (as a result) of things "coming loose" you suppose????

-Soupy

1 - 20 of 59 Posts