Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Peer pressure.

For 30 years I was told I had to have an HD.

Bought one, didn't like it.

Told I was a bad American for owning a Honda.

Then I pulled up a map and found my Honda (an my current Kawi) were built right down the street from my friend's HD:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
525 Posts
Been riding since 1962 with well over a half-million miles on two wheels. Over the years, I've ridden (but never owned) a few different H-D motorcycles. I owned Yamaha, BSA, Triumph, and Honda before I rode my first Harley. Took an almost instant dislike to it, and haven't found anything to like about those I've ridden since. I don't badmouth anybody for choosing a Harley - it's their choice.

Had they introduced the Pan America several years ago, before I decided to go to a lighter bike, I probably would have bought one.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
399 Posts
I think there will always be someone willing to bail out HD.
Its all in the name. I'll bet if Honda bought HD and put HD badges on all their Hondas, they would sell like red, white, and blue hotcakes.

I have this theory...
If Honda built their cruisers under a new manufacturer, say they called them "HONDO! " and made them all in America (like some of there other bikes)

They would sell them all. Brand new American cruiser.....The HONDO! BADASS. They would be lining up around the block. Honda quality hidden behind patriotic badges.
You are aware @brian10x that Honda Goldwing is both manufactured and assembled in Akron Ohio right? The engine casing on a Goldwing is stamped “Made In America”. I defy anyone to find one piece of an HD with that on it. That’s because it’s NOT made in America. Oh yeah, it’s assembled in America but has parts from manufacturers all over the world. A little know fact HD and it’s owners try to hide.
Now on a side note…
HD is 10-15 years behind everyone else in technology. What they DO have is an ABSOLUTLEY beautiful bike aesthetically. It is the Quintessential motorcycle look. That’s why other manufacturers tried to copy them with bike like the Shadow or Ace or Road Star etc…
The problem is HD engineers just did or do not have the capability to pull it together into a reliable affordable piece of machinery that performs exceptionally well. This is the reason others have done so well in the market.
Then let’s look at cost vs performance. If you buy an HD you’re going to spend THOUSANDS on performance upgrades, suspension upgrades etc just to get it to be where you expected in the first place and where the metric bikes already deliver right off the floor.
My Star Venture is a great example. No it wasn’t cheap at $27k but it is the most technologically advanced bike ever made. To get an HD with what I had STOCK would START with a $54k CVO and have to ADD $10,000 in extras IF you could find them just to get what I have off the showroom floor.
Fact is you’re paying way to much for “name”. It’s like paying $300 for a pair of Gloria Vanderbilt blue jeans only because it has a “patch” or brand name. Foolish IMHO.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Had they introduced the Pan America several years ago, before I decided to go to a lighter bike, I probably would have bought one.
[/QUOTE]

Now the Panamerica is interesting. Although, with my back and leg problems, way too heavy for me to handle.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
You are aware @brian10x that Honda Goldwing is both manufactured and assembled in Akron Ohio right? The engine casing on a Goldwing is stamped “Made In America”. I defy anyone to find one piece of an HD with that on it. That’s because it’s NOT made in America. Oh yeah, it’s assembled in America but has parts from manufacturers all over the world. A little know fact HD and it’s owners try to hide.

Yes!
I've owned 3 VTX1800s (yes, I loved them THAT much!) all designed and manufactured in Marysville, Ohio.

I was referring to my last Honda, a CB500F and my current Kawi.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
And YES, I agree HD makes the most beautiful bikes in the world. Someday, when I can no longer ride, maybe I'll buy one and spend my days adding tassels and polishing the fenders.

That reminds me of a song somewhere...

Oh, yeah-

Font Publication Poster Adaptation Musical instrument

·
Banned
275 Posts
So the drift I'm getting is a lot of you guys have gone to lighter bikes due to various reasons. The day will come when I can't ride either so I can relate. If I would have kept working I wouldn't be riding at all right now.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
They were made in Ohio.
Where are Honda Gold Wings Made? (Solved & Explained) - Engine Patrol

"Where Are Honda Goldwings Being Made?
Honda manufactures the Goldwing at the Kumamoto plant in Japan. Since 2011 all Honda Goldwings have come out of Japan, prior to this Honda manufactured the Goldwing at Marysville Motorcycle Plant, Marysville, Ohio. The 2010 model was the last model to be produced in the US."

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
399 Posts
They were made in Ohio.
Where are Honda Gold Wings Made? (Solved & Explained) - Engine Patrol

"Where Are Honda Goldwings Being Made?
Honda manufactures the Goldwing at the Kumamoto plant in Japan. Since 2011 all Honda Goldwings have come out of Japan, prior to this Honda manufactured the Goldwing at Marysville Motorcycle Plant, Marysville, Ohio. The 2010 model was the last model to be produced in the US."
Interesting. Had not heard this. So then there are some models (and I’ve seen them) where the engine casing IS stamped Made In USA.
That doesn’t change the fact that HD is not “American Made” as they like you to believe. Assembled here yes, manufactured here no.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha SVTC
399 Posts
I've had some close ones on my Sportster too but that Goldwing had it in for me. You'd think the size would make it easier to see but it didn't.
Sometimes @HD Fan its not about “size”. What color was your wing? Some colors blend into the background and aren’t easily recognizable.
That’s one of the reasons IMHO people who ride these “blacked out” bikes are just road kill waiting to happen. People have a hard enough time looking for motorcycles, and then you want a gray or blacked out bike, add a foggy morning or dusk and you blend right into the background. Give me chrome! I want something to glint or shine and catch their eye.

·
Banned
275 Posts
Sometimes @HD Fan its not about “size”. What color was your wing? Some colors blend into the background and aren’t easily recognizable.
That’s one of the reasons IMHO people who ride these “blacked out” bikes are just road kill waiting to happen. People have a hard enough time looking for motorcycles, and then you want a gray or blacked out bike, add a foggy morning or dusk and you blend right into the background. Give me chrome! I want something to glint or shine and catch their eye.
It might have been the color and the fact that it was extremely quiet didn't help. It was like a carmel golden brown.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ME: 62 years old./ 12 Hondas/ Current bike: 2022 Kawasaki Z650RS.

All my life I've wanted to buy that all-American icon. But , at least in my opinion, the engine is the main focal point on any motorcycle, and I consider the single crank pin V-twin inherently a defective design.

To be fair, Honda, and other Asian bikes have made this (in my opinion) engineering error.

I just feel its inherently wrong to have a two cylinder engine fire both pistons so close together. It creates massive vibration issues, necessitating a heavy counterweight, and difficulty in making horsepower.

I actually once owned a 2002 V-Rod, and I kind of liked it, but the damned exhaust burned my right leg, and I traded for a Honda VTX1800.

Now, to be fair, HD once made a prototype smooth running, powerful bike. They called it the Nova, and it had serious potential.

I hate that I have to purchase Japanese (like some Harleys, made in Thailand!) bikes to get a smooth running, powerful engine, that makes engineering sense to me.

I WANT to buy the American icon. I WANT to buy and love an HD.

But they refuse to build an engine I can respect.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I don't want potato potato potato. All I want is a smooth running, even firing, powerful American motorcycle.

Flame away if you must.

Brian
In sunny Tucson
You should check out the Indians. I’ve got a 2020 challenger.. best bike I’ve ever owned and I’ve had most. I’m 62 also

·
Registered
1 Posts
ME: 62 years old./ 12 Hondas/ Current bike: 2022 Kawasaki Z650RS.

All my life I've wanted to buy that all-American icon. But , at least in my opinion, the engine is the main focal point on any motorcycle, and I consider the single crank pin V-twin inherently a defective design.

To be fair, Honda, and other Asian bikes have made this (in my opinion) engineering error.

I just feel its inherently wrong to have a two cylinder engine fire both pistons so close together. It creates massive vibration issues, necessitating a heavy counterweight, and difficulty in making horsepower.

I actually once owned a 2002 V-Rod, and I kind of liked it, but the damned exhaust burned my right leg, and I traded for a Honda VTX1800.

Now, to be fair, HD once made a prototype smooth running, powerful bike. They called it the Nova, and it had serious potential.

I hate that I have to purchase Japanese (like some Harleys, made in Thailand!) bikes to get a smooth running, powerful engine, that makes engineering sense to me.

I WANT to buy the American icon. I WANT to buy and love an HD.

But they refuse to build an engine I can respect.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I don't want potato potato potato. All I want is a smooth running, even firing, powerful American motorcycle.

Flame away if you must.

Brian
In sunny Tucson
No flame Brian. Have you ridden one of the HDs with the Milwaukee-8 engine? I think you might like them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Star Venture is a great example. No it wasn’t cheap at $27k but it is the most technologically advanced bike ever made.
Good grief. No doubt the SV is a great bike but let's be real. Adaptive cruise? Blind spot monitoring? 6 Axis IMU? Lean sensitive ABS and TC? Adaptive suspension? Etc...

41 - 60 of 88 Posts