Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ME: 62 years old./ 12 Hondas/ Current bike: 2022 Kawasaki Z650RS.

All my life I've wanted to buy that all-American icon. But , at least in my opinion, the engine is the main focal point on any motorcycle, and I consider the single crank pin V-twin inherently a defective design.

To be fair, Honda, and other Asian bikes have made this (in my opinion) engineering error.

I just feel its inherently wrong to have a two cylinder engine fire both pistons so close together. It creates massive vibration issues, necessitating a heavy counterweight, and difficulty in making horsepower.

I actually once owned a 2002 V-Rod, and I kind of liked it, but the damned exhaust burned my right leg, and I traded for a Honda VTX1800.

Now, to be fair, HD once made a prototype smooth running, powerful bike. They called it the Nova, and it had serious potential.

I hate that I have to purchase Japanese (like some Harleys, made in Thailand!) bikes to get a smooth running, powerful engine, that makes engineering sense to me.

I WANT to buy the American icon. I WANT to buy and love an HD.

But they refuse to build an engine I can respect.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I don't want potato potato potato. All I want is a smooth running, even firing, powerful American motorcycle.

Flame away if you must.

Brian
In sunny Tucson

·
Registered
119 Posts
The two cylinders don't actually fire one right after the other. It's only 45 degrees off being equal spacing :) So, 315/405 rather than 360/360. Still, I get your meaning. You might check out the new engines that are just now coming online. My daughter has a Street 750 (which is kinda like the latest design) and it's remarkably smooth compared to my old twin-cam electra glide. It also makes really good power.

They are calling them the "Revolution Max" engines... water cooled, overhead cams, counterbalanced 60 degree twins. The new Pan American adventure bike has got it, and I think some of the new sportsters are coming out with a smaller version. You might be pleasantly surprised...

cheers! mike

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is my conclusion as well. I see HD riders revving their engines incessantly, probably because of the sound. To be fair, a lot of sport bike riders "rev bomb" a lot.

I may be in the minority, but I like the sound of a smooth, efficient machine. I don't care if has "soul" or not, I like something engineered as close to perfection as possible.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other factor I consider is weight.

I used to own heavies like the VTX1800 and the ST1300, but I'm 62, and 2 operations (with accompanying nerve damage) leave me with balance issues with heavy bikes, and HD makes some damned heavy bikes.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My thoughts exactly. In my opinion, HD basically has to reinvent themselves as a Japanese-like motorcycle manufacturer with new inline engines if they want to build a new customer base. If they want to save the V-twin then they need to build bikes that will actually sell in order to keep their heritage afloat.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My thoughts exactly. In my opinion, HD basically has to reinvent themselves as a Japanese-like motorcycle manufacturer with new inline engines if they want to build a new customer base. If they want to save the V-twin then they need to build bikes that will actually sell in order to keep their heritage afloat.
If they did that I would be standing in line begging them to take my money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Between a current production shutdown & the FTC coming after their No Where But Here w only HD parts, warranty, are there likely to be any drastic overhauls of their product lineup any time soon.

Saw a few reviews of the LiveWire that were favorable @ the bike but at current pricing per more then 1 reviewer, not likeky to sell enough to be a viable long term offering.

Unfortunately HD ~ American Iron may be on the way out.

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think there will always be someone willing to bail out HD.
Its all in the name. I'll bet if Honda bought HD and put HD badges on all their Hondas, they would sell like red, white, and blue hotcakes.

I have this theory...
If Honda built their cruisers under a new manufacturer, say they called them "HONDO! " and made them all in America (like some of there other bikes)

They would sell them all. Brand new American cruiser.....The HONDO! BADASS. They would be lining up around the block. Honda quality hidden behind patriotic badges.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I think there will always be someone willing to bail out HD.
Its all in the name. I'll bet if Honda bought HD and put HD badges on all their Hondas, they would sell like red, white, and blue hotcakes.

I have this theory...
If Honda built their cruisers under a new manufacturer, say they called them "HONDO! " and made them all in America (like some of there other bikes)

They would sell them all. Brand new American cruiser.....The HONDO! BADASS. They would be lining up around the block. Honda quality hidden behind patriotic badges.
It'll be China.

·
On The Road Again!
4,734 Posts
You want smooth? Try my bike, a '99 Goldwing. Six cylinders and smooth as an electric motor.
AND!!!
It is a 100% AMERICAN made bike!
People don't believe that until I show them the stampings on the bike that say "Made in USA".
ALL Goldwings from September 1979 through the end of 2010 were made in Marysville Ohio, USA.
If you lived in Japan and wanted one, it had to be imported from the US.

Reactions: Jmacd62

·
Registered
2022 Kawasaki Z650RS
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wholeheartedly agree. The Goldwing flat six is a work of art and an engineering marvel. AND, I remember a History channel show where they showed the host's Goldwing being assembled on the American assembly line.

My old VTX was designed AND built in Marysville, Ohio, and I dare say, screwed together as good as the land of the rising sun.

·
Registered
Bordeaux Red 2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
225 Posts
The other factor I consider is weight.

I used to own heavies like the VTX1800 and the ST1300, but I'm 62, and 2 operations (with accompanying nerve damage) leave me with balance issues with heavy bikes, and HD makes some damned heavy bikes.
I’m 64, and I had my share of heavies over the years as well (including an ST1300 and possibly my favorite ever VTX1800C). I realized a few years ago I just don’t need a land yacht any more, and last year got myself a Rebel 1100 DCT. Perfect size and weight, plenty of go-go, and no shifting to complete the old fart’s trifecta. A friend of mine just got a new HD Street Glide Special. I sat on it, and my only thought when I pulled it up off the side stand was, you can have it pal. No thank you, those days are behind me, and after sitting on that behemoth, I’m glad they are.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts