Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Double Secret Probation
288 Posts
Very nice! I knew they had it in other countries, but didn't realize it was added to the US lineup. I'd definitely get that over the Africa Twin if I was going to stay mostly on pavement.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Sexy.
I had almost decided that my next bike would be a Yamaha Super Tenere, but now that the Africa Twin is coming I want to check that out.

And now you add this one too.... Dammit CTX, now I'm undecided again:mad:

·
Registered
217 Posts
What's with all the black only bikes these days? Yuk.
The V4 engine is cool. But like all ADV bikes, buffeting around your helmet
will be an issue, as is the top-heavy nature of all ADV bikes.
Honda, how about blue, red, or green?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Excuse me, but what I've heard of the Africa twin is that it is being made to compete with the KTM 990 Adventure as a more dirt oriented adventure bike. Even KTM has admitted that a bike with only around 100HP and made more for riding off-road isn't what's going to sell by redesigning and coming up with the 1190 Adventure as most people don't ride their adventure bikes off-road. Where I live (Maryland) an over five hundred pound, sometimes well over five hundred pound dirt bikes don't make sense, maybe that's why the V-4 as a more street oriented bike is being offered as well?

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed, the VFR-X is geared more for the road then the Africa Twin. This summer while riding in upper Michigan, I told myself if someone comes out with a multi cylinder bike with interesting tech, that I can ride quickly and comfortably 400-600 miles away, then spend a few days getting lost on gravel or two track forestry roads, I'd buy it. This makes twice in the last few years that Honda has come up with reasons for me to dig into my retirement fund. I'll probably even pony up for the DCT. I sometimes wish I got it on my CTX too. :thumbsup:

Agreed on the black too. I don't think I've ever owed a black bike.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
I have zero interest in adventure bikes. But I wouldn't mind having a normal VFR-1200.

33.5 inch seat height will be for tall riders only.
Let's not go there... thats one of the few things that royally pisses me off that these companies make so many bikes that are very ill-suited for shorter riders...

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have zero interest in adventure bikes. But I wouldn't mind having a normal VFR-1200.
Let's not go there... thats one of the few things that royally pisses me off that these companies make so many bikes that are very ill-suited for shorter riders...
Unfortunately the very nature of an adventure bike and its long travel suspension doesn't bode well for a low seat height. Heck, I had to tippy toe my 70s 125 enduro back in the day. :eek:

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Unfortunately the very nature of an adventure bike and its long travel suspension doesn't bode well for a low seat height. Heck, I had to tippy toe my 70s 125 enduro back in the day. :eek:
Even a lot of sportbikes and standards are too damn tall. The R6 is so tall, I cannot get the thing off its sidestand. Same with the Triumph triples. (excluding the Rocket III) Nor can I do the ZX-14 or the Concourse, or many older Gold Wings.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I like it!!

Seat height would be a problem, I would need a small ladder to get on. :(

I also don't like tires with tubes, can't plug and go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here's a good write up. Scroll down for the comparison bikes. :thumbsup:

WTH? I don't have enough posts here to post it a URL. :confused:

allroadendurotouring.com/allroad-touring-enduros/big-allroad-touring-enduros/honda-vfr-1200x-crosstourer-dct-highlander

If this works you can figure out the rest.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you don't get the article before I make 15 + posts I'll post it as a URL next time.

Their comparisons are fair, and pretty spot on about the other bikes. Haven't ridden the Honda yet however, but they've had basically the same bike there for a while now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts