Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I feel your pain! A lot of the pine trees I planted 35-40 years ago are dying. Real kick in the butt! Been cutting them down and hauling them to a burn pile.

One of the joys of living in the country is the work never ends but I still wouldn't trade it for anything!

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
You can take care of your dads lawn once and for all with that scraper ya know.:D

Yep, there is no down time in the country. If I'm not fixing fence I'm clean fence line to keep from having to fix it. On my third tractor now too.

First two I really beat the heck out of just getting the place in shape. Ya know, using a tractor to do what a bulldozer would have trouble with even.

Hopefully this one will last until I'm planted.

·
8,572 Posts
I go for a nice ride on my farm, every week and mow 7 acres! From March through October, the grass never stops growing.

My rides of choice are a new "BIG Dog," "Diablo Commercial," 35 HP ZTR--1000cc Kawasaki, V-twin and a Snapper PRO series, 27 HP ZTR--750cc Kawasaki, V-twin.

Tractors are a 2014 Newholland 4X4, 28 HP, 3 cyl diesel, Belly mower and factory loader and a TC 40D, Newholland 4X4 40 HP, 4 cyl diesel, factory loader and LOTS of attachments.

Sam:biggrin:

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
I got tired of the "grooming" and got a 6 foot Brush Hog. Makes quick work of most now with the grooming done with a 60 inch zero turn Hustler which looks like my Land Pride it replaced. Dealer even thinks they are made by Land Pride. This particular model does look different than all the other Hustler models.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
When I first moved out to the country, I learned that after an hour of mowing, I started wishing I was doing something else too. So now I mow a few acres so the grand kids and dogs have a place to run, and lease the rest to a farmer. This year he planted corn. Next year it might be soybeans. In the fall/winter its all mine to ride the dirt bikes and snowmobiles with the grand kids.
Without the whole most of a day of mowing thing during the summer. ;)

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
You guys make me glad I live in the city. With a backyard of 1/3rd of an acre, theres room for the grandkids to play when visiting, and it costs me almost nothing to have it mowed every other week. That lets me ride whenever I feel like riding. I doubt that chores around the house take me more than, at most, an hour a day, so my time is my own. I love being retired!

·
2,799 Posts
I don't mind the time spent mowing for the most part (catching up after a rain not included). ;)

It's therapeutic after a day spent in the shop. It's a small price to pay for not having someone living a few feet from me. I can 'take a whiz' anywhere or anytime on my property (Now THAT's freedom. :p ) Don't have to drive to a park to take a walk, I just walk around my place. Pets have freedom to run, not shut up in a fenced yard or stuck in an apartment. :icon_cool:

As Eddy Alberts used to sing, "Green Acres is the place for me..." :biggrin:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
you keep taking a wiss every where it won't be so green!

·
8,572 Posts
Hog, Excel industries was the first to produce a ZTR mower:

“We were the first company to offer mowers with zero-turn technology,” says Paul Mullet, president of Excel Industries. “After Regier sold us the patent, he came to work for us and the rest is history.” Excel Industries is the parent company of Hustler Turf Equipment, Inc., which manufacturers Hustler Turf and BigDog Mowers zero-turn mowers.[1]

Mine is the RED one below and at 14 to 16mph, it gets the job done quickly:biggrin:

I used to mow this 7 acres around my Home with a 54 inch, Husky, Hydro, riding lawn mower and it took forever, like 6 to 7 hours of continuous mowing. Now it takes 2 to 2.5 hours!!!!!

I also use a 72" bush hog and I have an 84 inch, 3 point finish mower also.

The homes I had in California had about 1/2 acre and those lawns could be mowed in a Nano second with these mowers I have now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Damn wind

I can't believe it missed my fence.

We headed out for Canada Saturday and just as we left home the wind started blowing and tearing branches off the trees. We went about 10 miles and turned around and went back home because of trees across the highway, even freeway 405 was closed because of trees across the highway. When we got home the street we live on was blocked on one end and my back yard is a total mess.

·
2,799 Posts
you keep taking a wiss every where it won't be so green!
I've got lots of room for 'rotation'... :biggrin:

Muggs... that looks to be a real mess to clean up! Glad you didn't have property damage to boot. The fence looks good and I'm assuming your house is okay?

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a lawn service for a lot of years, we mowed close to 350 acres a week. There are only a couple brands of mowers I would use, and the big Dixons were one of them. The mower in the picture has close to 5,000 hours on it and has never had more than plugs changed and oil changes every 50 hours. Of course, deck bearings and belts go, but the little Kohler on it has never missed a beat. It has sit outside now for 4 years and still starts in the spring like it was run the day before.

I had a deal with Dixon where I used the prototype of a new mower and the one in the pic is the second one where they changed drives on it because I was too hard on the original. It's too bad Dixon sold out, they just don't have the same build they used to.

Did the same with Grasshopper, the rep would come to me every time I had an issue and take the mower down to the factory and modify and build it from there.

Now there isn't enough money in the world for me to mow any other lawns, unless it's family.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn wind

We headed out for Canada Saturday and just as we left home the wind started blowing and tearing branches off the trees. We went about 10 miles and turned around and went back home because of trees across the highway, even freeway 405 was closed because of trees across the highway. When we got home the street we live on was blocked on one end and my back yard is a total mess.
A friend of mine still hasn't got power back. He had a tree take out his utility trailer and a work shed did it's best to hold up the end of a 60 foot tree.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,665 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't get off Lake Murray long enough to ride this weekend, and it looks like I'll be spending the long weekend at our place in Eufaula.

What to do... What to do... Should I just use the pontoon, or break out the Bowrider???:confused:

Darn the luck!!!!:icon_mad:;)

For the record, my lawn push mows in about 30 minutes since I moved back into town.:p

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Hog, Excel industries was the first to produce a ZTR mower:

“We were the first company to offer mowers with zero-turn technology,” says Paul Mullet, president of Excel Industries. “After Regier sold us the patent, he came to work for us and the rest is history.” Excel Industries is the parent company of Hustler Turf Equipment, Inc., which manufacturers Hustler Turf and BigDog Mowers zero-turn mowers.[1]

Mine is the RED one below and at 14 to 16mph, it gets the job done quickly:biggrin:

I used to mow this 7 acres around my Home with a 54 inch, Husky, Hydro, riding lawn mower and it took forever, like 6 to 7 hours of continuous mowing. Now it takes 2 to 2.5 hours!!!!!

I also use a 72" bush hog and I have an 84 inch, 3 point finish mower also.

The homes I had in California had about 1/2 acre and those lawns could be mowed in a Nano second with these mowers I have now.
I wonder if Excel bought out Land Pride. I've had my Land Pride for 15+ years which is a tan color but it looks exactly like the yellow one pictured which I replaced it with. Land Pride had a Honda engine and the yellow job has a Kawasaki engine is the only difference.

Now when I get serious I hook up my 15 foot batwing. Again it's a Land Pride. And my neighbor has a 20 foot one in tan. So it sure looks like the two companies are tided together somewhere. Interestingly mine is red but they made a tan one and in fact they said one year they would match any color you wanted so there may even be some green ones out there. So I wonder just where the two companies join?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,300 Posts
At least it wasn't the house Muggs.

All this talk about cutting you should be out riding and not on a mower. Get some goats :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Damn wind

Is that a Maple that took the hit?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
So many people don't understand the value of the ride..chill and enjoy while you can....the little stuff will take care of the big stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When the breeze hits the knees there is nothing better. I would wake up early in the morning and just go. I didn't know where and I didn't care it is just something peaceful that just melts the stress away

1 - 20 of 21 Posts