Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm work on a 1986 kawasaki vulcan. Recently I went to go start it up, and when I pressed the ignition switch the whole bike died. After that even if I turned the key the bike no longer lights up, horn doesnt work etc. I can see that the battery is a little under 13 volts and I know it's good. If I turn the key on when I hit the ignition switch the voltage quickly drops to a little more than zero. Obviously I have a short somewhere, but I'm not sure where because if it were In the starter circuit the dash would still light up and everything else should work

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: just a bad battery. I got confused cause it was reading a good voltage, and it was working fine a day ago. Apparently batteries can read that they're at 13v, but once a load is put on them they die

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
That is correct. Common event. First volt check, then load check, then specific gravity. Some shops do SG test first.
A guy may be 6 foot 4 and be well built, but can not lift a bag of cement.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Update: just a bad battery. I got confused cause it was reading a good voltage, and it was working fine a day ago. Apparently batteries can read that they're at 13v, but once a load is put on them they die
Thanks for the update. Someone may read this someday and be one step ahead in solving their electrical issue. So thanks very much for the update.(y) (y) (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts