Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was sitting in the coffee shop up Island, waiting for Roy. I thought I heard his Harley, but it was a lady pushing a shopping cart along the board walk.
So here is your chance. Pick on any bike brand you like.

Here is a starter:
I thought I heard a Harley, but it was just a Volkswagen with a blown muffler.

Bon chance. Unkle Crusty*

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Thought I heard a Ducati dry clutch, but it was just the recycling truck picking up a bin full of empty beer cans.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thought I felt an earth quake, but realized it was just the ground vibrating under my buddies single pin crank Harley.
You know this thread could start a fight.:p

·
7,502 Posts
I thought I heard a Mitsubishi Zero, Kamikaze dive bomber, trying to kill our Boy's but it was only a JAP clone cruiser with a loud exhaust, in drag, trying to look like a Harley and It smelled like Soy sauce on burnt egg rolls.;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thread

You know this thread could start a fight.:p
That is what I was hoping for.

You should hear 20 Yamaha 250 2 stroke GP bikes leaving the start line.
The air crackles with just one of them fired up. We used to delay starting them on race day, just disturbed the peace.
They idle at 3000 revs, have no power under 8000, and we would go WOT at 12,000 to get them moving.

Unkle Crusty

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
I thought I heard the coyotes howling at the moon, but it just turned out to be the guys over at the biker bar.

(This one might get me pummeled by a goodly number.)

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clutch

Thought I heard a Ducati dry clutch, but it was just the recycling truck picking up a bin full of empty beer cans.

The H1R Kawasaki I was part owner of, had a dry clutch. Was a unique sound, 3 cylinder 2 stroke with expansion chambers, and a clutch the rattled.

Unkle Crusty*

·
7,502 Posts
That dry clutch on the Kawasaki wasn't stock if it was a 'Ducati' style dry one. I rode an H1 and an H2. How was that possible when the engine had a wet clutch and gearbox combination that shared common oil:confused:

I liked the sound of the dry clutch on my last Ducati--it made it unique.

I rode a Yamaha TD-1 250cc, open expansion chamber track bike many times and loved the sound and smell of the 'Caster' based 2 stroke oil.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thought I heard my old C50 with stock exhaust. Turned out be a Singer sewing machine.

Thought I heard my new NCX. Turned out to be wishful thinking because it's sleeting sideways.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Clutch

That dry clutch on the Kawasaki wasn't stock if it was a 'Ducati' style dry one. I rode an H1 and an H2. How was that possible when the engine had a wet clutch and gearbox combination that shared common oil:confused:

I liked the sound of the dry clutch on my last Ducati--it made it unique.

I rode a Yamaha TD-1 250cc, open expansion chamber track bike many times and loved the sound and smell of the 'Caster' based 2 stroke oil.

The clutch was stock. But first this:
Yamaha as you know made production road race bikes. I have referred to them as GP bikes on this forum. Last one I owned was a TD2B. First of the six speeds, last of the air cooled. Yamaha also made a 350 GP bike, and Suzuki made a 500 GP bike. These could be loosely referred to as production road race bikes. Yvonne Duhamel rode a 350 Yamaha to be the number one plate in Canada, in about 1972. The next year Jim Allen riding a 500 Suzuki was the number one plate. Jim Dunn in WA also rode a 500 Suzuki. I have referred to these bikes as probably the best production race bikes.
Another US rider from WA was Steve Baker. He rode for Yamaha. You may of heard of him as being the first US world champion.
I got to race against all of the above. We all had CMA expert licences.
Kawasaki also made a production RR bike, the H1R, and it had a dry clutch.
Later they made a 250 RR bike.
I was selling Kawasaki at the time they made the 500 and 750 triples. Have mentioned that on this forum a few times. Had a 68 350 and a 69 500. It was the 500 that I crashed. Mentioned that here and there as well. Switched to Honda sales in about 71.

Porky thought he heard a dry clutch Ducati, but it was an H1R Kawasaki.
Sold it to Alex George in Glasgow, and he rode it in the 71 IOM TT race.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
In a quiet factory QC room near midnight, when nobody else was there, I was SO convinced I heard my name called out clear as a bell, by a female voice unfamiliar to me, that I turned to see who it was........no one was there!! (True story)

-Soupy

·
7,502 Posts
Don't worry Soupy, Jessica Alba, Cameron Dias, Lucy Liu and Drew Barrymore always call out to me but they leave when I open my eyes---naughty little girls:biggrin:

·
7,502 Posts
Crusty, the H1R was a track bike only and I ASS-you-ME-d we were 'talking streetbikes:biggrin:

I haven't had the time to peruse your numerous postings my friend.:wink:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I thought I heard a Mitsubishi Zero, Kamikaze dive bomber, trying to kill our Boy's but it was only a JAP clone cruiser with a loud exhaust, in drag, trying to look like a Harley and It smelled like Soy sauce on burnt egg rolls.;)

Man! I could really go for some egg rolls dipped in soy sauce! nomnomnom

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Track bike

Crusty, the H1R was a track bike only and I ASS-you-ME-d we were 'talking streetbikes:biggrin:

I haven't had the time to peruse your numerous postings my friend.:wink:

Yes, a road race bike.
I try my best to recall the facts as best I can. Sometimes I may say, around or about, or digging into the memory banks.
To keep me honest, most of what I just wrote, can be dug up using google.
And sometimes we may find stuff we did not know. I did not know that Duhamel rode an H1R after Baker replaced him at Yamaha Canada. I did not know that an H1R came second to Agostino in the world championship.
Or that Alex George beat Hailwood at the IOM. I do know he did not finish on the H1R that I sold him. They could not get the correct pistons in England at the time so the engine failed. And I heard it

Now and then I write some good stuff. IMO.
I can not get the smiley face to appear where I want it.
:biggrin:
Unkle Crusty

1 - 20 of 20 Posts