Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 Honda CB600F

My battery was too low to start my motorcycle, so I decided to jump-started it. I linked jump-start lines between my car and motorcycle. After 15 seconds or so, I tried to turn on the motorcycle and only found the dashboard was black.
Holly cow! I mistakenly linked red (positive) pole with negative pole of my motorcycle battery. How foolish I was!

Now, the dashboard is totally blackout. My question is:
1. Do I need to buy a new motorcycle battery? Any thing to make the old battery recover?
2. Did I burn the fuse? How to check if the fuse still work or not?

Thank you in advance!

txsky

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Most likely popped a fuse, but I'd have the battery charged and tested.

I can't find any data on the location or type of fuse so hopefully someone else can help you out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeap, I will bring battery to local Autozone to charge it over night and see what happens. If not work, I will order a new one.
I will google how to check a fuse.
Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well. It looks that I have to go to Autozone anyway, I will bring all fuses too. If some burn out, I just buy some new fuses over there.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Companies are pretty good about safeguarding against frying electronics when the battery is hooked up wrong, or jumper cables are hooked to it backwards. I wouldn't even bother with that battery anymore and buy new fuses for a piece of mind.

I hooked jumper cables up backwards to my car battery some years ago and watched my negative post melt into a puddle within a second. Everything was fine beside the battery of course. It was also a Honda....but a car, not a bike, so yeah.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for the replies.
I picked up the battery from Autozone. The nice lady said that my battery was fully charged and was fine. She looked at my fuses and said the fuses were fine too.
I came back home and installed the fuses and battery. But no luck. Dashboard is still black out. I can not ignite the motorcycle. The headlight is out.

To find out the reason, I used my jump starter cable to link a car battery with my motorcycle battery cable, still the dashboard is black out. It looks like something else is wrong.

But there must be some currency: If I take out the key, I can not move the motorcycle. But I put the key in the "ignite" position and hold the throttle, I can move/push the motorcycle.

What is most likely wrong? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
It sounds very much like a fuse issue to me. I know you took the easy to find fuses to Autozone but how well have you looked around for single fuses in other locations. On some bikes, including mine, there are single main fuses or breakers that are not located on the fuse panel.

·
If you wait, all that happens is you get older
508 Posts
Found this in the manual. Here is the manual I am referencing http://owners.honda.com/assets/ownerlink/model/own_man/powersports/2004/2004_cb600f.pdf

on page 179
The main fuse (and spare) is located on
the starter motor magnetic switch ( )
behind the left side cover.

The circuit fuse box (including spare
fuses) is located behind the left side
cover.

It states that the main fuse is a 30 Amp the others are 10 and 20 Amp.
I also found that the main fuse is located on the starter solenoid and not with the other fuses.
Here is the wiring diagram that may be for your bike http://www.wiringdiagrams21.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/honda-cb600f-hornet-electric-starter-circuit.png

Look on page 180 it may help.

Hope this helps
:71baldboy:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all your replies!
I finally checked the fuse one by one today and found the main fuse (30A) is blown. All the other fuses are OK.

I went to local Autozone and RadioShack store, but could not find an exact replacement fuse. I searched on Amazon / Ebay, but still could not get anything.

Anybody please tell me where can I find a three-leg 30 A main fuse? The size is as in the picture. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,531 Posts
Fuse it

Battery first.
I connect red to red, then black on either battery while holding the other end of the black in my hand. Then I tap the other black / negative post. If it is wrong there will be a big spark.
On my Yami, the fuse or whatever in the starter solenoid malfunctioned.
It did that as I was removing the old battery for charging and reconnecting. Not sure how it did it. A used new one fixed that problem. Worth checking that part too.
Marine supply stores have a selection of cute selection of fuses. Blue Sea makes a variety of electrical parts.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys guys.... Problem fixed!!

I found the main fuse and it was blown. And there is spare main fuse just inside the fuse box. I changed it and it worked!

For past three months, this problem always bothered me.
Thank you guys! I love you!

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Guys guys.... Problem fixed!!

I found the main fuse and it was blown. And there is spare main fuse just inside the fuse box. I changed it and it worked!

For past three months, this problem always bothered me.
Thank you guys! I love you!
You can't have my Bud Light.... Glad all is well Txsky!!! :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts