Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's absolutely perfect outside and has been trending that way. I think a lot of my fellow citizens realize that social distancing on a motorcycle is a pretty safe way to stay sane. Problem is, I sold my SuperSport this winter and the delivery of my Streetfighter, which was supposed to occur this month, has been pushed back indefinitely. I had heard May originally, but my dealer now says delivery dates are "up in the air at this point". I had originally planned to hold on to the SuperSport until I got a chance to see how I feel about the Streetfighter (it's kind of a ridiculous bike, if I'm being honest) but a friend wanted the SuperSport something fierce, so we did the deal. Now, I sit here listening to the sweet rumble of motorcycle exhaust in the distance and dream of a different future; I want to slap the crap out of that bat-eating A hole in China.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That has to aggravating. I have a new 2020 sport tourer waiting for me at a dealer, that came in a few weeks ago and I cannot pick it up. I'm in the process of buying a home and the expenditure of this bike would look suspicious when the closing comes up at the end of April. So, I need to wait for a few more weeks. But that isn't as aggravating as your situation as I still have 2 other bikes to ride. You can borrow one if you like.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, you're a kind soul! I can't really complain because my burden is only to wait out the horrible situation the poor people of Italy are experiencing, but I can't help but bellyache. I spoke to some folks running in to similar issues as you who were able to do the entire deal online, and just pick the bike up at a scheduled time. Is that a possibility?

I think the real takeaway for me is that my wife is wrong: I DO need more than one motorcycle. Maybe an adventure bike to tide me over?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes, I can do the entire deal remotely and then pickup the bike when ready, which I will probably do. Rent a one-way car and ride the bike back. But not until I close on this house on April 29th and get moved, so probably sometime about mid-May.

In my household a limit of one bike would be cause for divorce! Fortunately the wife (although having a motorcycle license she always rides on the back) loves the bikes as much as I do and likes having more than one.

So, what kind of streetfighter! Ducati maybe? Come on spill the beans and make us envious!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I can do the entire deal remotely and then pickup the bike when ready, which I will probably do. Rent a one-way car and ride the bike back. But not until I close on this house on April 29th and get moved, so probably sometime about mid-May.

In my household a limit of one bike would be cause for divorce! Fortunately the wife (although having a motorcycle license she always rides on the back) loves the bikes as much as I do and likes having more than one.

So, what kind of streetfighter! Ducati maybe? Come on spill the beans and make us envious!
Excellent! My wife hates motorcycles, but I had been riding for most of my life, so she knew what she was getting into. She was actually okay with me keeping the SuperSport, but the bikes were to just...similar, I guess? I know that's not the definition most would use, but I need very different motorcycles to have more than one because I'll just end up wishing I was riding whatever bike I'm not currently on. I think an Enduro or Adventure bike would fit that mold! Yes, the Streetfighter is the new V4 Ducati. The "S" models make it out of Italy before the facility shut down, but I didn't fork out the extra money for that bike, so I play the wait and see game. I sent my down payment back in November back when it was first introduced, and was pretty lucky to get a bike before they all sold out! I really can't wait to ride the thing. I - literally - have never seen one in person, so it's a bit of a gamble. I'm in Connecticut, and the nearest "Ready 4 Red" event I could have visited to see the bike was in New Hampshire during a snow storm, so I'm now just reading the reviews that are starting to trickle out and salivating at the thought of picking it up. :p

·
Registered
418 Posts
When I leaved in Phoenix I had similar problem in reverse, 5 bikes in the garage and I almost always ended up riding the same one repeatedly. They were different but I guess maybe not different enough. Now I have two that are almost identical. It's an old military thing "two is one, and one is none". So when one is in the shop for tires, oil change, fork seals, or whatever (although neither never needs anything major) I have the other to ride. When they are both rideable (which is almost always) I just alternate riding them as they are almost the same, even down to the paint job, so I really never wish I was on the other one.

The new one will be different enough if I really like as I think, I will most likely sell both of the current bikes and buy another like the new bike but maybe a 2018-2019 model.

The V4 Ducati Streetfighter, a Panigale with more attitude, nice. I'm sure you will love it. Your anticipation must be busting your seems.

·
Ace Tuner
2,191 Posts
I - literally - have never seen one in person, so it's a bit of a gamble.
Wow, that's some kind of gutsy.
Me, I was nervous about just ordering a bike in a color that I hadn't seen before.
I looked up the V4 Ducati Streetfighter to get a look at it. That is one radical looking machine. Sure looks good from here.(y)
What rotten luck to have this happen while waiting to throw a leg over something like that.
I feel your pain...

S F

·
American Legion Rider
20,060 Posts
Do you have the financial ability to buy a really beat up bike that actually runs so you can at least get some riding in? It's not the best time to look for something cheap but you might luck out. At least it would give you something to do just to see what you might stir up. Or look for a repo bike you can pick up payments on then sell when you get yours. I do understand your pain especially financially. For most that just isn't doable but if you can you won't go batty waiting.

·
Registered
738 Posts
It's absolutely perfect outside ...

Now, I sit here listening to the sweet rumble of motorcycle exhaust in the distance and dream of a different future; I want to slap the crap out of that bat-eating A hole in China.
Man, that sucks. But, oh, the joy you will feel when that beauty finally arrives will, hopefully, make it the wait worth it. Would love to see some nice pics when you finally get it!

There were a few days over the winter that were really nice. I had my bike apart and was depressed about how long it was taking me to get it back together. The sound of Harleys rumbling and sport bikes winding up on the road by my house didn't help!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I leaved in Phoenix I had similar problem in reverse, 5 bikes in the garage and I almost always ended up riding the same one repeatedly. They were different but I guess maybe not different enough. Now I have two that are almost identical. It's an old military thing "two is one, and one is none". So when one is in the shop for tires, oil change, fork seals, or whatever (although neither never needs anything major) I have the other to ride. When they are both rideable (which is almost always) I just alternate riding them as they are almost the same, even down to the paint job, so I really never wish I was on the other one.

The new one will be different enough if I really like as I think, I will most likely sell both of the current bikes and buy another like the new bike but maybe a 2018-2019 model.

The V4 Ducati Streetfighter, a Panigale with more attitude, nice. I'm sure you will love it. Your anticipation must be busting your seems.
I've been thinking hard about buying something small to get back on the track, something like an R3 or an RC390. I think now might be a decent time. Try and find a used one that I can ride in the interim and keep it road legal until my new bike arrives. The surprising thing is, I live in northwestern Connecticut and there's a shocking amount of really great dirt roads / trails / seasonal roads in the area that I think would make an adventure bike a whole lot of fun.

I'm 6'2" and about 190, so from what I'm heard from those that have sat on the bike, it's shockingly comfortable! Ducati does now offer a windscreen, but it's about the size of my drivers license and costs $285 bucks. I think I'll wait for the aftermarket solution, but I'll ride the thing like a touring bike as a hooligan bike, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it feels.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, that's some kind of gutsy.
Me, I was nervous about just ordering a bike in a color that I hadn't seen before.
I looked up the V4 Ducati Streetfighter to get a look at it. That is one radical looking machine. Sure looks good from here.(y)
What rotten luck to have this happen while waiting to throw a leg over something like that.
I feel your pain...

S F
lol, I know what you mean, it's a bolt decision. Or a dumb decision, depending on how sensible you are.:p

The bike I just sold was a Ducati SuperSport and I also pre-ordered that bike and had to spend months with my fingers crossed. I just hope this decision turns out to be as good as that was, because the SuperSport is just a downright amazing bike. I really wish I hadn't have sold it. Truth be told, if it weren't for the fact that I had already told a friend that he could buy it, it'd still be in my garage.

I do try to keep things in perspective. I remain healthy and so do my loved ones, so in the grand scheme of things waiting for my new motorcycle seems like small beans. That's why I only complain about it amongst people who would understand. ?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the financial ability to buy a really beat up bike that actually runs so you can at least get some riding in? It's not the best time to look for something cheap but you might luck out. At least it would give you something to do just to see what you might stir up. Or look for a repo bike you can pick up payments on then sell when you get yours. I do understand your pain especially financially. For most that just isn't doable but if you can you won't go batty waiting.
I'm greatful to say that I do currently have the means, but it is a bit harry to lay out a few grand for a second bike when the world feels so unstable. I mentioned above that I might buy a small bike that'll eventually become my track bike, and that's probably the best way to go. Couple grand for an R3 wouldn't be too risky, I think.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, that sucks. But, oh, the joy you will feel when that beauty finally arrives will, hopefully, make it the wait worth it. Would love to see some nice pics when you finally get it!

There were a few days over the winter that were really nice. I had my bike apart and was depressed about how long it was taking me to get it back together. The sound of Harleys rumbling and sport bikes winding up on the road by my house didn't help!
Tell me about it! I live in an area where some really, really good riding starts so all I hear while sitting in my home office is the distant rumble of Harley's taking their riders somewhere that I wish I could be, too.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've been thinking hard about buying something small to get back on the track, something like an R3 or an RC390. I think now might be a decent time. Try and find a used one that I can ride in the interim and keep it road legal until my new bike arrives. The surprising thing is, I live in northwestern Connecticut and there's a shocking amount of really great dirt roads / trails / seasonal roads in the area that I think would make an adventure bike a whole lot of fun.
There you go, something you can use until the Streetfighter is delivered and then you can re-purpose it to the track. On the other hand an adventure bike would probably give you some enjoyment as well. Don't you just love having tough decisions. Of course if you have a place to hide them you could get both!!

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
Wot HC said above.
I do not have time at the moment to get a couple of bikes ready for action. So I am putting many miles on my 83 XS400 Yamaha. All around my Island at the moment. The Triumph needs a new rear tyre ( It is British ) and I am in the middle of replacing the throttle cable. Something that used to take an hour, but will be an all day job on a newer bike.
UK

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There you go, something you can use until the Streetfighter is delivered and then you can re-purpose it to the track. On the other hand an adventure bike would probably give you some enjoyment as well. Don't you just love having tough decisions. Of course if you have a place to hide them you could get both!!
I'd love an adventure bike, but it'd probably be a tad more expensive than a rat bike for the track. Originally I was looking at the Honda CRF 250L,which is a lot more enduro than adventure, but am now considering the G 310 GS from BMW, or the KTM 390 Adventure. Both are in a similar price range, would be a lot of fun on the trails and seasonal roads, and would make great commuting bikes. That might actually be a smarter way to go than buying a track bike.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wot HC said above.
I do not have time at the moment to get a couple of bikes ready for action. So I am putting many miles on my 83 XS400 Yamaha. All around my Island at the moment. The Triumph needs a new rear tyre ( It is British ) and I am in the middle of replacing the throttle cable. Something that used to take an hour, but will be an all day job on a newer bike.
UK
I'd be happy having something to work on as well. As it is, I have only my John Deere lawnmower to keep me occupied.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts