Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okey so i runned out of gas.
when i filled her up later that day all seemed to be good, but
now i have a problem. when i start up the bike and begin to ride the accelration is wery week and its an very uneven accelration. but when the bike has been drivven for like 5 minutes the problem is gone(when the engine is warm).
but, after i runned out of fuel i also have notised that instead of using 0,27 liters per 10km its now using 0,35 liters per 10km, and thats not accidental.
annother problem i have is that when i start up the bike and give it a rev it is stalling.

all of the mentioned problem is new for the bike and has never been expirienced.
can someone give me an answer on whats wrong with the bike and how to fix it?
thanks for answers

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
What kind of bike? Carburetor or fuel injected? Or did I miss that part?

Oh fubar. You're supposed to do an introduction first. My mistake.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,451 Posts
Clean out your fuel filter, and run some fuel cleaner through the system. When you run out of gas, the junk that often settles at the bottom of the tank gets pulled into the filter and often into the lines

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
25,606 Posts
I'll second the suggestion to change the fuel filter and add something like Seamfoam or Star Tron. But...unfortunately you might be in for a carburator teardown and rebuild if any of the junk in the bottom of the fuel tank got into it a plugged any of the ting passages. But keep your fingers crossed that won't be required. You didn't say what year Suzi but there could be a lot of trash in the bottom of the tank. Even having to switch the petcock to reserve could do this if the bike is old enough. You might also drain what's in the tank and replace it with fresh fuel as you might have picked up trash from the bottom of the fuel station if they were running low as well.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
most every motorcycle petcock has a "pre filter" screen made onto it inside the tank., I highly doubt it is debris frim the tank.
The OP has never said what kind of bike it is, as they usually do,

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
the bike is a 2018 model that have runned for 6000 miles
2018 suzuki gsxr 125 is fuel injected. If you ran it out of fuel you likely cooked the fuel pump. The fuel pump uses the gasoline for cooling.
Replace the fuel pump and keep lots of fuel in the tank from now on, if that does not resolve the problem then you have a spare fuel pump for future use.

·
American Legion Rider
25,606 Posts
2018 suzuki gsxr 125 is fuel injected. If you ran it out of fuel you likely cooked the fuel pump. The fuel pump uses the gasoline for cooling.
Replace the fuel pump and keep lots of fuel in the tank from now on, if that does not resolve the problem then you have a spare fuel pump for future use.
Yep, that's possible. At the very least might have shortened it's life. But if it can still be heard cycling when turned on it might still be okay. Certainly something to check to see if it is cycling for sure. If not then Trials is right, time for a replacement most likely.

·
Registered
NRA Life Member
1,375 Posts
Im not buying into this info OP, you may have burnt the brushes out of the pump giving low fuel PSI, and equaling weak performance.
Meaning it will have less ability to give full pressure, but yet you claim its using more fuel?
These two are polar opposites as far as symptoms.

Theres something wrong with this info... JS

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Poor performance = bad fuel efficiency.

These are not high end, robust fuel pumps, they are mostly plastic and contain an internal filter screen. It's Not a part that will last the life of the motorcycle.

For comparison, they cost about one quarter the cost of a Honda Montesa fuel pump which is made with metal and can withstand considerable abuse.

When fuel level is low on these fuel tanks, they run hot enough that you wouldn't want to hold your hand on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts