Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Demo days at the dealer today. I got to ride a couple new bikes, the Street 750, the new Road Glide and the Freewheeler trike.

All were very different, but I had never ridden a trike before. I was surprised, positively so. Turning felt very odd, but I got used to it. I did put my foot down at one stop, just out of habit. I always thought that I would just have to ride a trike someday, because I just could no longer handle a Touring bike two up with the Mrs. Now, what the heck, it will all be fine. Trikes are not to be feared. Heck I enjoyed the ride.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I still remember riding a 3 wheeler for the first time when I was a kid...I kept putting my foot down to....ran over my self a couple of times lol.....good thing trikes are big enough that won't happen (too much :D)

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
The "three wheeler" I rode on when I was 6, got me into trouble!

There was this door in the living room, that had a bunch of 10x10 panes of glass in it, from top to bottom and side to side.

Somehow, tooling around in our living room, I managed to put my HEAD thru one of em!! No cuts, no damage.......

At least, that's what they tell, tell, tell, tell, me.........

-Soupy

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,858 Posts
I enjoyed an older Servi-Car back in the 70's which was fun for a few months but found myself missing the 2 wheeled fun ..

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I still remember riding a 3 wheeler for the first time when I was a kid...I kept putting my foot down to....ran over my self a couple of times lol.....good thing trikes are big enough that won't happen (too much :D)
I did the same thing the first time I rode one of those off-road three wheelers as a kid. So used to putting my feet down, it was a hard habit to break.

·
10,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Prior to this, the last three wheeler I was on was my old Honda 90. About 1982 or so. It was one of the old Balloon tire types. By modern standards, it is a death trap. In 1982 we just called it fun.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I did the same thing the first time I rode one of those off-road three wheelers as a kid. So used to putting my feet down, it was a hard habit to break.
it wasn't too hard of a habit to break....after it ran up my leg the third time...thankfully I remembered to put the foot down when I got back on 2 wheels lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
To each his own. When I purchased my first new bike, the dealer put me on a trike to go get something to eat while they service my new one. Thanks, but no thanks. When I get too old and weak to pick mine up if I drop it, that will be the day I quit riding. Just as soon have a muscle car convertible.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I sat on the Freewheeler today at the Harley museum in Milwaukee. The floorboards are way too close to the seat for me. I'd have to extend them another 4 inches forward I think.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I've often thought about what I would do, or will do, when I just can't handle a motorcycle any more. But first I would consider moving from my current heavyweight cruiser (a Triumph Thunderbird) to something considerably lighter. When I have to accept that long motorcycle rides are more than I can handle, I might get a lighter and nimble electric motorcycle. Only if and when even these accommodations are not enough, then I might consider some type of trike. I thought I liked the Can-Am Spyder, but that thing is huge, and as wide as a car! A bike with a sidecar might work, or if all else fails, a traditional trike.

But maybe I'll be lucky, and will be able to keep riding a real motorcycle for another 15 years or so. And then, maybe when I am out riding at 86 years old, I will be leaning into a sharp corner when an 18-wheeler coming the other way crosses the center line and I am on my way to the great riding rally in the sky before I even realize I'm dead! I know that will be a better way to go then in a hospital bed, or full of tubes and drugs in one of the nursing homes I used to manage. Living and riding forever would be great, but I don't believe any of us get to live forever.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
As much as I love touring on our Vision, I can see some kind of Trike in our future. Randy's knees just aren't what they used to be and when it's fully loaded with clothes for both of us and both of our butts on board it's extremely heavy.

We've already said we might trike the Vision some day. If we do that we will also get a trailer so we can carry a few more things like lawn chairs.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,858 Posts
As much as I love touring on our Vision, I can see some kind of Trike in our future. Randy's knees just aren't what they used to be and when it's fully loaded with clothes for both of us and both of our butts on board it's extremely heavy.

We've already said we might trike the Vision some day. If we do that we will also get a trailer so we can carry a few more things like Lawn Chairs.

They Make Lawn Chair with Rockers .. :coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Throw an oxygen bottle rack on the back of the Freewheeler & you're one step away from being Piney from Sons of Anarchy :D

We've also talked about the idea of getting a trike maybe someday in the future if/when bikes become impractical. When that time comes I would give both wheel configuration 2-front-1-rear and 1-front-2-rear trikes a try and see what we like better.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Badlands, I am glad to hear you liked that trike. Maybe you have one in your future. For me, I am a young 66, almost 67, so I don't even expect to try one for at least another 10 years. Until then I will use my barcalounger on 2 wheels, my Victory Vision.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Back in the 1960s when I had a 305 Honda Superhawk, my Dad made a sidecar for it, just a flat platform suitable for transporting 'stuff'. My dog loved riding on the sidecar and it was handy for going camping or just about anything else.

If somebody offered me a classic WWII Harley with a sidecar I sure wouldn't turn my nose up at it! :71baldboy:

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
LOL!! GatorJoe, I already have 2 of those. :D :D

It's just that after a long day of riding, after a hot shower and dinner we like to sit outside our motel room and enjoy any view we have. A lot of motels don't have chairs outside. We've been asked a few times to put the chairs back in our room.

When we took our trip to the Rockies our friends pulled a trailer and had their own chairs. It was so nice to be able to sit out and relax with a beer while watching the deer and buffalo. That was the only thing we really wished we had of all the extras they did...oh, and the cooler.

·
Very Famous Person
9,689 Posts
LOL!! ...
When we took our trip to the Rockies our friends pulled a trailer and had their own chairs. It was so nice to be able to sit out and relax with a beer while watching the deer and buffalo. That was the only thing we really wished we had of all the extras they did...oh, and the cooler.

Just an empty cooler. Sure. ;)

--

1 - 20 of 22 Posts