Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove by a cop parked on the side of the road. I wasn't thinking much of it, cause I thought he was there to catch all the dingdongs that roll through the stop sign. It's notorious for people doing a rolling stop (myself in a cage, guilty). After coming to a complete stop and taking off, I notice those notorious blue lights shining in my mirror. Great. What'd I do officer? License, registration please ma'am......Wonderful.....He goes back to his car, comes back out a few minutes later with what I know is his ticket book. I'm thinking, great, how am I gonna explain off another ticket? He then proceeds to hand me a voucher for a free ice cream cone and explained that he was out giving "tickets" to kids riding their bikes with their helmets on. He said he liked how I came to a complete stop, both feet on the ground, was wearing a helmet, leather jacket and over the glasses googles. I can't stand looking like a big eyed bug, but I can't stand my eyes watering neither.

From reading alot of posts on here, I've learned to always stop with both feet on ground,and wear proper protection (I used to be the one who hated helmets). It was a cool day here in CT so the leather didn't bother me as much as it does on 80-90 degree days. Looking for something cooler but offers protection. So I owe you all an ice cream cone. If we ever meet on the road, remind me and I'll get you one.

p.s. my shifting between 1st and 2nd is improving alot. Less and less mistakes.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Congratulations on the "driving reward". It is great that the officer is making some positive contacts with the kids. You don't hear about that often enough.

For cooler jackets with protection there are many mesh jackets that have built in armor. I use an Olympia Airglide that I found on clearance. It also has a waterproof liner and a cold weather liner. I actually prefer it to my leather jacket.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Nice story, Never had a cop give me any kind words, but then I probably didn't deserve any.

I agree with Dogsfall, I would be irritated if I was stopped for no reason. Most of the cops in my area are just revenue collectors for the county and state.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
If I were in a hurry to get somewhere like work or school I would be irritated. Since I am retired and seldom in a hurry to get somewhere I would appreciate the nice gesture.

I really do think it is great when an officer makes a "nice" contact with our children. I feel that they would be more apt to find an officer when the need help.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I normally give them a reason to pull me over. And im sure he probably thought I didnt have a permit or license. Ha ha surprised ya!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is sort of...weird? unfortunate?...that you had to go through the process of getting pulled over in order to be rewarded for good driving/riding. I feel like there's a fine line there somewhere, but I myself don't know where it is...

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
But it wasn't for no reason. It was to get an ice cream cone.
After the fishing expedition of running the driver's license and searching for warrants. If he would have just come up and gave a coupon it would have been different. The way it was handled was unconstitutional according to the 4th Amendment. There's no ice cream clause in there last I heard. :D

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Good guy cop, but if he pulls over an ******* with legal knowledge, he could be in some trouble for an unjustified stop. He all but admitted he had no legal authority to detain you.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
he could be in some trouble for an unjustified stop. He all but admitted he had no legal authority to detain you.
Sure he is going to tell his supervisors that he stopped someone for no reason, he would make up some BS story why he felt he needed to make the stop. My ex brother in-law was a cop, biggest liar I ever met. He was the primary reason I lost any respect I had for cops.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts