Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you adrenaline junkies! So I'm the stereotypical teenage day dreamer. It all started with a R1 doing flybys on my street and I was in love. Long story short, I want to get into motorcycles. And not just any type, but specifically superbikes. I'm itching to get my hands around the throttle of a bike. So as like any other teenager, I hate the idea of going small on my first bike. The idea of a 250 isn't appealing to me. My friend is constantly telling me to get a bmw s1000rr Hp4 for my first bike. Well that is OBVIOUSLY not happening because I really don't want to be wrapped around a tree within the first week of riding. I was thinking more on the lines of a gsxr600. I did some research and I found out about Suzuki's Drive Mode Selector which basically neuters the bike. I thought that this might allow me to learn on a nice bike and in due time, unleash the beast. Now I know most people say to get a 250 and learn on it but the whole point of a bike to me is the fun factor. The thrill of the the ride. Any thoughts on this? Any and all criticism is appreciated ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hello all you adrenaline junkies! So I'm the stereotypical teenage day dreamer. It all started with a R1 doing flybys on my street and I was in love. Long story short, I want to get into motorcycles. And not just any type, but specifically superbikes. I'm itching to get my hands around the throttle of a bike. So as like any other teenager, I hate the idea of going small on my first bike. The idea of a 250 isn't appealing to me. My friend is constantly telling me to get a bmw s1000rr Hp4 for my first bike. Well that is OBVIOUSLY not happening because I really don't want to be wrapped around a tree within the first week of riding. I was thinking more on the lines of a gsxr600. I did some research and I found out about Suzuki's Drive Mode Selector which basically neuters the bike. I thought that this might allow me to learn on a nice bike and in due time, unleash the beast. Now I know most people say to get a 250 and learn on it but the whole point of a bike to me is the fun factor. The thrill of the the ride. Any thoughts on this? Any and all criticism is appreciated ! :thumbsup:
Your friends an idiot that said like most things in life your destinys in your own hands,with bikes its hand.A very long time ago many started life on 2 wheels riding trail bikes which was a great place to start as off road riding teaches you far more about balance/throttle control etc than wobbling about in traffic will ever do,for better or worse it seems those days are gone and we live in a "i want it and i want it now world'.Remember that on the right track a GSXR600 will achieve faster lap times than its big brother so theres more than enough power to get you into trouble, as as an older bloke who has plenty of track time under his belt ive often chuckled at guys wanting to start riding with the likes of a GSXR600 or similar,my reason for chuckling is its simply overkill personified as you wont for a very long time if ever have the skills to ride it anywhere near its potential more so if your only going to ride it on public roads.Next time you see a GSXR parked have a look at the tyres,on most theres huge spaces on both sides that have never been used.They were not built as a commuter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm I do understand that I'm being quite inpatient about the whole matter, but I can't help myself. I know people have chicken strips and what not. But I don't know. I feel like these 600s have such soul to them. And that sound! How can you not love a screaming engine? I just need some guidance and tips for motorcycles. The do's and dont's for superbikes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hmm I do understand that I'm being quite inpatient about the whole matter, but I can't help myself. I know people have chicken strips and what not. But I don't know. I feel like these 600s have such soul to them. And that sound! How can you not love a screaming engine? I just need some guidance and tips for motorcycles. The do's and dont's for superbikes.
Screaming 600s dont make me think "soul" to be honest but v-twins have always made me think similar..no matter each to there own.The word "superbikes" says it all really,the donts would be dont bother buying one if you dont have the ability to ride one,why would you your wasting both the bikes time and your own not to mention the embarrassment the bike will feel when your riding it down a road for which it was designed to be ridden and someone with ability goes past you on something 1/2 the size.That said i can remember the impatience of starting out on 2 wheels so wish you well and take care on whatever bike you choose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel like the soul of a bike comes from the sound and handling. I haven't rode any bikes to tell you about the handling part, but from what I've heard (literally). Superbikes just have the sound that I want to hear when riding every day. I want to hear an engine singing. I find most cruisers to have dull, uninteresting tone. And well choppers, I like them loud, obnoxiously loud. And since I obviously don't have the know-how to ride a liter bike so the 600 is the closest to next best sounding, well atleast to me anyways.. thanks for the thoughts though!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I feel like the soul of a bike comes from the sound and handling. I haven't rode any bikes to tell you about the handling part, but from what I've heard (literally). Superbikes just have the sound that I want to hear when riding every day. I want to hear an engine singing. I find most cruisers to have dull, uninteresting tone. And well choppers, I like them loud, obnoxiously loud. And since I obviously don't have the know-how to ride a liter bike so the 600 is the closest to next best sounding, well atleast to me anyways.. thanks for the thoughts though!
When i said V-twins i didnt mean cruisers,for my money the noise that comes out of this V twin does indeed sound sweet.All the best and hope you have many happy miles ahead fella.:thumbsup:

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Handling that you, as a newb, won't be able to take advantage of. In fact, for your skill level, a 250r will handle BETTER than a 600 supersport. You don't even know how little you know in this topic, and it shows.

You managed to get through the registration process to become a member, and you've managed to start a thread, so I assume you're savvy enough to use the "search" feature, and also to find the stickied threads in the new rider section.

Go read more.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
A GSXR600 isn't a learner bike, it's probably near the pinnacle of the power/weight/handling ability pyramid - more so than many litre superbikes. It's powerful, but really light.

Get something else until you build your skill level up - you can always get a GSXR600 in a year or 18 months, that'd increase your chances of survival remarkedly.

So, look at a parallel twin or vee twin 400 sports bike if you want the look, but want a safer learner bike with enough performance - you'll be able to frighten yourself senseless on something like that quite easily enough.

I would recommend you start on a 250 though, a Ninja 250 or 400 (do they do a Ninja 400?) would be a good starting point.

Listen to us two Kiwis (by the way, "Gidday Slapper!")

·
Registered
176 Posts
A GSXR600 isn't a learner bike, it's probably near the pinnacle of the power/weight/handling ability pyramid - more so than many litre superbikes. It's powerful, but really light.

Get something else until you build your skill level up - you can always get a GSXR600 in a year or 18 months, that'd increase your chances of survival remarkedly.

So, look at a parallel twin or vee twin 400 sports bike if you want the look, but want a safer learner bike with enough performance - you'll be able to frighten yourself senseless on something like that quite easily enough.

I would recommend you start on a 250 though, a Ninja 250 or 400 (do they do a Ninja 400?) would be a good starting point.

Gidday mate:thumbsup:Small world eh.Nice to see another Kiwi on here...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Handling that you, as a newb, won't be able to take advantage of. In fact, for your skill level, a 250r will handle BETTER than a 600 supersport. You don't even know how little you know in this topic, and it shows.

You managed to get through the registration process to become a member, and you've managed to start a thread, so I assume you're savvy enough to use the "search" feature, and also to find the stickied threads in the new rider section.

Go read more.
Well that came off a little aggressive. And trust me, I know I'm a newb in this field. I've been reading about motorcycles for a good while now. But reading and getting input from others is a whole different thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Uhh, I guess you guys are right. I just hate the idea of having to ride something that I don't really LOVE for such a long period of time. I sound like the most stereotypical teenager ever AHAHHAHAHA :icon_cool:

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Yes, it was a little aggressive. I realize now that you are not the 100 newbs who came before you saying the same thing. You just sound like them.

When I was a teenager and didnt know any better, I wanted a Ninja 600, but this was before the Internet.

Luckily for me, by the time I got around to buying my first bike, I did have the Internet. So I knew to take an MSF class, and buy small, because I did my research and listened to the opinions of those more knowledgable than myself.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Uhh, I guess you guys are right. I just hate the idea of having to ride something that I don't really LOVE for such a long period of time. I sound like the most stereotypical teenager ever AHAHHAHAHA :icon_cool:
Your fine mate,believe me a little time spent getting the basics right will see you happy longterm,contrary to popular belief we are actually here a long time..make the most of it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Drive mode "neuters" the power delivery, but only so much. Remember that it's a MODE selector, not TRAINING WHEELS. It's designed to tone down the engine response some for adverse weather or traffic conditions. The salesman might say "Yeah, just flip to C until you're ready to go balls to the wall and you'll be fine!! Now sign this dotted line...." but he's got a job to do.

It also doesn't do anything about those giant brakes that will put you on your face if you grab too much by accident. Or the twitchy suspension that will give you LOTS of feedback, even if you don't know what to do with that feedback.

Do a search for the different 600 class super sports on craigslist and you'll probably see more then one "gotta get rid of it, it's too much bike for me" posts. A lot of the others will be "never dropped" but have cut levers and missing bar ends and stuff...

I hear you on the impatience thing though. Believe me, I really hear you on that. When I left my parents house and joined the Marines I swore one of the first things I would do would be to get a bike. Then I learnt that I couldn't afford the insurance... I eventually got a bike, and it was a pretty nice one. Not my "dream" bike, but I think she may be coming along here sooner then later.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
When I go out out on my 1000cc Ninja and carve up the twisties like they are just another straight road, I can 100% thank the 1 year and 15,000 miles that I spent on a Ninja 250R.

-I always wonder about people who start out on motorcycles and think the 250R is boring. It handles better than any motorcycle in existence. I wish I never sold it!

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I know. I am kicking myself for selling my wife's 250r when she stopped riding. I could have turned it into my track bike. Now I have to keep switching the SV650 back and forth.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I know. I am kicking myself for selling my wife's 250r when she stopped riding. I could have turned it into my track bike. Now I have to keep switching the SV650 back and forth.
I can now handle my big ninja as well as I could ever handle my little one. I can take the same curves at the same speed. I keep wondering how it would feel if I jumped back on a 250R now. Plus it would be a great bike to give to my wife as neither of my bikes are even remotely good bikes for beginners.

-Ah, hindsight...

·
Registered
535 Posts
You're a teenager, you haven't developed the area in your brain yet where responsibility sits, then you want to ride a supersport bike? Are you thinking of taking plenty of riding classes?

I ride a gsx-r600. I can guarantee you that when you're on such a bike, you open the throttle, the bike has gone and you're on your back on the street.
If you want to kill yourself, that's your choice. But you're going to kill others, and that's not ok.

Just start on a 600cc naked bike, learn to ride, then switch to an even faster bike. You'll appreciate the faster bike more after riding a naked bike for a year or so. At any rate, do take a fair amount of lessons.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts