Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Between black and white I can tell you white doesn't show dust as bad as black. Never owned a red bike so can't say but in Texas sun anything red fades after several years pretty significantly.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
A bikes color can really help with being conspicuous, and hopefully less likely to be missed by distracted car drivers. While seems to disappear on the road as much as black does, so with the choices you have I would suggest the red.

Some bikes offer a wider choice of colors, and lately I have been seeing a lot more bright yellow bikes, and a few in almost day-glow orange. Sort of ugly in my mind, but you can't miss them. When I had an all black bike but wore a very bright yellow modular helmet, I was told that I was easily visible a half mile away. So maybe just pick the color bike you like, then wear a highly visible helmet and jacket.

The other extreme, which I do not recommend but see more often than not, is someone dressed in all black, with a black helmet, riding a black bike. Cool, but not the safest way to go.

·
8,604 Posts
I can't stand BLACK. It shows dirt to easily. It is very hot. Feel a black car that is in the sun on a hot day and then feel a white one. Same thing with helmets, try it and see. Even the all popular black T-shirts are much hotter in the summer.

White is the most popular color for passenger vehicles in the United States.

Black doesn't show up at night as well as lighter colors.

I would say get the white color or the red.

LOTS of folks on here like black bikes so there will be different opinions.

You have to live with your decision so do what pleases you:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
I usually go with darker, more subdued colors on my vehicles. But after doing a quick image search for a YBR125, I have to say that the white and red look better on that bike. Maybe with a slight edge to the white one.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
White may be a popular color for cars (although I think that figure is skewed by all the white fleet vehicles) but it is certainly not a common color for bikes.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Get whatever color you like as it will be moot to others on the road and buy hi-viz gear so you'll be seen.

Here's what your view will be to those you are approaching (i.e. those who may/may not see you). Color is moot as there isn't much of it to present in this view:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Everybody's buying white cars now because they don't want grey anymore and black is the only other color. Unless you're some kind of weirdo or something.

You can buy a white one and paint it purple or something. Some of the kids are buying sportbikes and painting them Sixties metallics (green or blue or gold or like that), and they look real cool.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One of my friends changed to a white bike and a white helmet. He's quite convinced that car drivers see and notice him better now. White is probably more visible in most situations than black. I also think that at least here white helmets and bikes get more attention because they are usually police motorcycles :p

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I took an all day ride yesterday (it was great!) and did see quite a variety of colors of bikes (I think every motorcycle owner in northern IL and southern WI was on the road with me). The bright yellow and white bikes (if they had large hard bags of that color) really stand out when you approaching them from the rear, but I doubt that color makes that big a difference when the bike is approaching you from the opposite direction (and this is what we really want, i.e., approaching car drivers to see us).

Even hi-viz clothing may not be as visible as you think if you ride behind a large fairing or windscreen. But a highly visible helmet is easily seen from both front and behind. During the warm months I mostly wear my Bell 3/4 helmet, which is silver and probably as close to invisible as a helmet can be, but its the one with my speakers and headset. During cooler times I wear a full face, modular, in BRIGHT yellow and have been told that I can be seen a really great distance away.

So maybe just pick the color that appeals to you and use a helmet and clothing, and maybe additional lighting to be more conspicuous. I doubt that I could get myself to buy a bike whose color and looks just don't appeal to me. I would be unhappy every time I looked at it in the garage or sat on it. I have a neighbor that has a sort of dull orange color bike (just maybe its a HD?) that is so awful looking I am not sure how he keeps from getting ill when he rides it, but to each their own!

·
Registered
427 Posts
but I doubt that color makes that big a difference when the bike is approaching you from the opposite direction (and this is what we really want, i.e., approaching car drivers to see us).
Yep, there aren't many that do. Here is one exception (more so a few years ago when it was offered n all yellow), compare it to the profile pic I posted earlier:

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Link did not work.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My VTX happens to be black, when I put the batwing fairing on it, they matched exact.

Saved me some serious mula in paint...

The guy before me put hard bags on it with the same fortune.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cops ticket racy red bikes, scooters are wimpy white, that leaves badass black.

Which would The Terminator choose?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts