Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at a crossroads between buying two different used motorcycles. I have an endorsement and have experience driving many different motorcycles including a yamaha r1. I came to the conclusion after riding the R1 in its four different modes that I want a bike with at least 500cc and no more than 750cc and for it to be a low to middle weight naked sport-bike. I really like honda and I am stuck between getting a honda cb500f 2014 or a honda cb600f hornet 2004. The 2014 is basically brand new with 1800 miles and completely stock. The hornet has 14,000 miles but has after-market exhaust, bars, levers, grips, led headlight, carbon fiber body, pegs, panels, and blacked out pipes. Basically it looks incredible for a 2004 bike in comparison to the 2014. The 2014 cb500f is being sold for $3200 and maybe wiggle room to $3100. The hornet is being sold for $3000 maybe wiggle room for $2,900. I am currently upgrading from a honda grom that took me forever to sell so I am already used to the new technology. The 2004 has the con of manually turning the gas on and off and no gas gage to tell you when you are low on fuel. This is obviously not a big deal but it is a con along with the higher mileage and slightly older bike. Both owners claim to have taken great care of their bikes. I really do not know what is the better deal. Do I pay 200$ more for something that is less likely to have any problems for a lot longer period of time. Or do I pay 200$ less for a slightly faster bike with more mods and a little more likely to have something go wrong with it sooner. The gas mileage is also a factor since I am a cheap college student trying to save money, cb500 gets maybe 20 more mpg than the hornet. Somebody give me an opinion because I'm not too educated with bikes in the first place. Thank you

·
Very Famous Person
10,009 Posts
--

You probably know more about these bikes and their idiosyncrasies than anybody here, so you may not get much reply. You certainly know more about what you want and need and can afford. Man up! :kiss:

(Or as last resort, flip a coin.)

--

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
An easy choice.

If you have no or little experience making repairs, keep in mind that many Honda dealerships will not work on their own motorcycles past the age of ten years. That would mean buy the newer bike. I have a bunch of older ones and they are easier to diagnose for repair. I do my own repairs if I can.

If you can find a non-dealer shop that has been in business for some time to fix your bike, then that might modify your decision. Honda does make good durable bikes, but do not get caught buying an older one with a short production run because of non available parts...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,304 Posts
Get the CB500F:smile_big:

The fuel injection is a real plus as is the much better fuel economy and overall newer technology:wink2:

There have been NHTSA and Honda Dealership 'Recalls' on the CB500 series of bikes--see below:plain:

Ask the owner if the recall applies to his VIN and if he has had the work done.:smile_big:

Honda Recalls 2013-2015 CB500F & CBR500R Motorcycles - Motorcycle USA

Find out the VIN of the bike and use the form below:

Recall Information - Honda Powersports

I always stay away from modified bikes like the Hornet you are looking at as BUBBA for the most part, just throws parts on there so he/ she can run the **** out of it, trying to sound and look cool:surprise:

Sam:nerd:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.