Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
How old is it? Helmets age. The styrofoam, the part that compresses in hard crashes, loses it ability to do so over time. Some manufacturers say that helmets should be replaced every 5 years. Some folks go longer.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I don't buy them used. They are widely available brand new is a huge variety of colors and styles. I have a couple different helmets that I wear, I bought them both from Revzilla.com. I usually buy more expensive helmets but this time around I actually canceled my order on an Arai helmet in favor of an AGV hat because it fit great, the padding is very good and it looks great.

I have found that by switching helmets regularly, they don't get as stinky.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Also, just a little tip I found works great if you want to save money....go to a shop and try on helmets and find one you like that fits well...then go home and find it online and buy it that way. You'll probably save a decent amount of cash

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
Or you could ask that dealer how close they can come to matching the online price. Most will try to come close just to keep you coming in. If you keep buying everything online you'll soon put your local source out of business. You lose more then than the paltry amount you saved online.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
194 Posts
Also, just a little tip I found works great if you want to save money....go to a shop and try on helmets and find one you like that fits well...then go home and find it online and buy it that way. You'll probably save a decent amount of cash
The dealer pays rent to occupy a storefront near to you. He pays to have merchandise on hand so that you can touch the goods and, as in this case, try it on to see if it fits your style and if it fits you for size. He pays to have a model of just about every helmet, jacket, shoe, glove, shirt and more that he carries, and in most sizes. He pay employees to assist you in selecting the right model and size for your needs.

Then you go and pay a slightly lower price from an Internet dealer who drop ships the item to you. Pretty soon the dealer can't stay in business because you, and others like you, do business like this, choosing to save a few bucks and buy elsewhere, and he closes down. Pretty soon, no more local bike shop. Small thinking there. VERY small thinking. Customer service used to be worth something, now, not so much.

Yeah, that "works great." At least on some parallel planet. I prefer to pay people who perform a service for me. But I'm kinda old fashioned like that. AT LEAST, do as HowCowboy suggests and ask the dealer how close he can come to, or if he can match, the online price.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
The dealer pays rent to occupy a storefront near to you. He pays to have merchandise on hand so that you can touch the goods and, as in this case, try it on to see if it fits your style and if it fits you for size. He pays to have a model of just about every helmet, jacket, shoe, glove, shirt and more that he carries, and in most sizes. He pay employees to assist you in selecting the right model and size for your needs.

Then you go and pay a slightly lower price from an Internet dealer who drop ships the item to you. Pretty soon the dealer can't stay in business because you, and others like you, do business like this, choosing to save a few bucks and buy elsewhere, and he closes down. Pretty soon, no more local bike shop. Small thinking there. VERY small thinking. Customer service used to be worth something, now, not so much.

Yeah, that "works great." At least on some parallel planet. I prefer to pay people who perform a service for me. But I'm kinda old fashioned like that. AT LEAST, do as HowCowboy suggests and ask the dealer how close he can come to, or if he can match, the online price.
I made a conscious effort to do as you suggest. Dealers in my area have very limited supply. I went to Cycle Gear and they had a wall full of helmets, and a handful were not black. Can you get this? No. How about this? No, sorry. This? Nope. Yet you go to the Arai or Shoei or whatever brand's website and they have that helmet in ten different colors. Revzilla has it in ten different colors. So I have zero feelings of loyalty to those shops. They aren't trying to give me what I want. They want me to just buy what they have. And the online discounts are significant. I don't know if you have noticed or not, but the days of brick & mortar retail businesses are over.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I just broke a brand new $170 helmet just picking it up I snapped a piece off.

Im shopping for a better helmet myself too. :( They better take it back at the shop I got it from.
If you want a really high quality helmet you're probably looking at several hundred bucks for an Arai or Shoei. My last helmet was an Arai and it felt like a feather bed on your noggin. This time I wanted an open face helmet so I bought AFX hats, and they are decent. Not on the same level as the Arai though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I made a conscious effort to do as you suggest. Dealers in my area have very limited supply. I went to Cycle Gear and they had a wall full of helmets, and a handful were not black. Can you get this? No. How about this? No, sorry. This? Nope.
You don't say where you're located, but since you gave the advice for the OP to go to his local shop and try on the helmets for fit, I'd guess that you've done this.

Oddly my local BMW stores can order me ANYTHING that's in the catalogs for the brands that they carry. I'd say that your choice of retail stores was not a very good one.

Yet you go to the Arai or Shoei or whatever brand's website and they have that helmet in ten different colors. Revzilla has it in ten different colors.
I'd have asked for another sales person, or the manager. There's absolutely no reason that they can't order the color/size/graphics that you want if they don't have it. Sounds like you got a poor salesperson and that you just gave up.

So I have zero feelings of loyalty to those shops.
Not to worry. With your shopping ethos, they won't be around for long. Then your advice of using them to find your fit and then ordering online will be useless. They simply won't be there. You'll have to guess at your size, place your order, wait for the delivery, and then try it on. And you'll have to do this repeatedly, until you find one that fits. You won't be able to line up three sizes, or several brands, and try them on, one right after the other, to determine which one feels best as you can in a store.

They aren't trying to give me what I want. They want me to just buy what they have.
OF COURSE THEY ARE. But it's up to you to have the balls to tell them that you don't want what they have and that they need to order it for you. I've never had a problem doing this. You seem to.

And the online discounts are significant.
I've never found a store that wouldn't match an online price or, at least, come close enough to justify the immediate purchase. Motorcycling is not for the faint of wallet.

I don't know if you have noticed or not, but the days of brick & mortar retail businesses are over.
Not quite, but due to people like you, many are on the way out. Your advice and shopping philosophy are very short sighted. They portend the death of customer service.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
You don't say where you're located, but since you gave the advice for the OP to go to his local shop and try on the helmets for fit, I'd guess that you've done this.

Oddly my local BMW stores can order me ANYTHING that's in the catalogs for the brands that they carry. I'd say that your choice of retail stores was not a very good one.

I'd have asked for another sales person, or the manager. There's absolutely no reason that they can't order the color/size/graphics that you want if they don't have it. Sounds like you got a poor salesperson and that you just gave up.

Not to worry. With your shopping ethos, they won't be around for long. Then your advice of using them to find your fit and then ordering online will be useless. They simply won't be there. You'll have to guess at your size, place your order, wait for the delivery, and then try it on. And you'll have to do this repeatedly, until you find one that fits. You won't be able to line up three sizes, or several brands, and try them on, one right after the other, to determine which one feels best as you can in a store.

OF COURSE THEY ARE. But it's up to you to have the balls to tell them that you don't want what they have and that they need to order it for you. I've never had a problem doing this. You seem to.

I've never found a store that wouldn't match an online price or, at least, come close enough to justify the immediate purchase. Motorcycling is not for the faint of wallet.

Not quite, but due to people like you, many are on the way out. Your advice and shopping philosophy are very short sighted. They portend the death of customer service.

To each their own. I shop almost exclusively online and it works for me. I lead an extremely busy life with huge responsibilities at home and I have more important things to do than going out to shop. If this makes me responsible for the downfall of the retail industry, I'm okay with that.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
My local Indy has limited stock (small shop) but will order anything for you with a small markup to cover his costs. I would rather pay 5-10 % more to have him and his mechanic local to me.

Reactions: Porky

·
Registered
194 Posts
To each their own. I shop almost exclusively online
What you described, shopping for fit and the 'hands on experience,' and then purchasing online is FAAAAAR from merely "shop[ping] … exclusively online." In effect, you're stealing from the brick and mortar store, taking up the shopkeeper's time and using his inventory. Both their time and their inventory cost them money. After sucking information from the salesman, you walk away because you want to save a few bucks. You don't even give him the opportunity to match the Internet price as another member suggested and as I've done many times!

and it works for me.
Of course it does. Your "entitlement attitude" screams "MEMEMEMEME" about as loud as it can. You've told us that you use the shopkeepers inventory and expertise for your own purposes and then spend your money elsewhere. You have no loyalty to those who give you information that you need and ask for. Who let you use their stock to check size and for features, and for their customer service. You take advantage of them for your own wants needs and then sh!t on them by spending your money elsewhere. I'll make an ethical and moral judgment here, it's disgusting, and it means that, in time, those shops will go out of business, denying you and the rest of us, their services.

I lead an extremely busy life with huge responsibilities at home and I have more important things to do than going out to shop.
Earlier you told us that you use the local stores to shop for fit, size, look and color. In reality YOU DO HAVE the time to shop, it's just that when it's time to pay the shopkeeper for his time and his inventory, you can't be bothered. Saving a few bucks is more important to you, and you don't even give them the opportunity to price match.

Feel free to use whatever excuse you think justifies your entitlement, your selfishness and your narcissism.

If this makes me responsible for the downfall of the retail industry, I'm okay with that.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Loyalty, dedication, decency, and doing the right thing (compensating someone for a service they provide to you) are all in short supply these days.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I have put beemer dood on ignore. I don't care if someone doesn't like me or disagrees with me. When someone starts using passive aggressive behavior, berating me, assaulting my character and resorting to name calling, however, I will not be engaged in conversation with them and will disregard them as a human being. I do wish the best for him.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts