Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 1975 Yamaha 750 special for $300 on Craigslist and I thought I'd be a perfect bike to start on. They seller says it does run, but it needs a battery and a tune up. I've never even ridden a motorcycle but when I saw the add, I thought it was too good to pass up. Can anyone's give me details on the quality of the 750 special or if it a bad idea to buy such an old one? I know a bit of work will need to be done on it but I do not want a full on project. The seller does not have a title so does anyone know how to reclaim one or how hard it will be to make it street legal? I'd also appreciate if you told me things to look for when I go check out the bike or anything else you think I should know.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,899 Posts
Bike that needs a battery to start which means you can't hear it run, and no title? I would run as hard and fast as I could in the other direction,

Someone who wanted to sell a running bike would buy a battery to sell.

Reactions: lions_lair99

·
Nothing to See Here
524 Posts
Bike that needs a battery to start which means you can't hear it run, and no title? I would run as hard and fast as I could in the other direction,

Someone who wanted to sell a running bike would buy a battery to sell.
This. Also a "tune up" on a 75 most likely includes rebuilding the carburetors. The motor is an inline 3, so unless Yamaha went a whole different route within a few years, that means 3 carbs that all have to be rebuilt, and then they have to be timed correctly.

Now on top of all that, you are fighting the title issue. Did he steal the bike? Did he buy it from someone that stole the bike? You could buy it from him, go to do all the proper paperwork, and have the bike taken from you, no questions asked, no money your way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.