Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right so im making this forum cause this is the first motorcycle ive ever even touched and i got in pieces and trying to put it together. So for my first problem is im putting the hand bars and front end but in the handle bars is a piece i cant seem to figure out what goes there it has some threading on it so im assuming i have to put it on before the gauge/handle bar mount

·
Ace Tuner
3,494 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but you may be talking about the "spanner" type nut that holds the triple tree in place?
There would be a washer and/or seal of some sort below the nut.
A bunch more pics might help jog my memory ... maybe. It's only been about 40 years since I had one of those bikes.
BTW. When running correctly that bike will loop you if you throttle it a little too much so use caution.

S F

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
The bars are bolted to the top part of the triple tree. Two caps, four bolts. Remove them and set aside.
The triple tree has two parts. The bottom part is clamped to the fork tubes about 9 inches down. The center tube of this part goes up from the bottom of the steering head, which is part of the frame. The steering head has the VIN number stamped on it. When the tube pokes thru the steering head, the top part of the triple tree goes on. It is held in place by the washer, nut and another lock nut. The top of the fork tubes are clamped by this piece. As I suggested earlier, you need to check that the bearings in the steering head are in place, and in good condition. Usually the fork tubes are removed along with the front wheel.

UK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah i see i dont think there are bearings in the steering head ill have to check this weekend. Also would you happen to know what the locking nut looks like along with washer, or perhaps know somewhere i can buy the 2 nuts and washer at. And perhaps a picture of the bearing that are suppose to be in the steering head.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
You can buy a bearing kit from the bike shop, or look at allballs site. Measure the thread part in MM. You need a washer a tad bigger, and two fine thread metric nuts that size. Take it all apart. You can easily see the bearings at the top and bottom of the tube. You should do some research on removing and replacing these bearings.

UK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts