Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dirt bike/ moped. I was driving on the road home from school when randomly my motorcycle lost gear I was rolling down the hill when I gave gas nothing happen it just reved like I was In neutral i tried to put it in gear but nothing happens now I got it home by car but I don鈥檛 know what I have to fix because I鈥檓 pretty noob at this **** so plz do any one have any clue what to do? I don鈥檛 wanna get it into a mechanic because that costs money and most of my other things I fixed by my self.

Visionary
If you checked as the other guys said and you still have 2 sprockets and a chain then check bolts securing sprocket to wheel, and shift linkage or whatever puts it in gear.
Some information on what kind of moped would help so we can see how it works.

Premium Member
Lettuce hope that this is not another person that wants everyone else to fix the problem, rather than pursuing it themselves. It is possible the above posters have spent more time on the issue than the OP. Please show I am wrong.

UK

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
If you checked as the other guys said and you still have 2 sprockets and a chain then check bolts securing sprocket to wheel, and shift linkage or whatever puts it in gear.
Some information on what kind of moped would help so we can see how it works.
It鈥檚 a cross moped aprillia rx 50 from 2000 I think I will go out and look at the chain and the other thinks you guys said tomorrow.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Lettuce hope that this is not another person that wants everyone else to fix the problem, rather than pursuing it themselves. It is possible the above posters have spent more time on the issue than the OP. Please show I am wrong.

UK
I hope not I鈥檓 just asking for help because I鈥檓 one of the biggest noobs in the world when it鈥檚 about fixing things...

American Legion Rider
2000. how do you mean toy 馃馃槀
In the states, motorcycles/scooters are mostly recreational and not workhorses, therefore some might consider them toys. Although some do get used as daily commuters, they are on the low side in numbers.

Ace Tuner
i tried to put it in gear but nothing happens
So if the chain is in place... ?

Nothing happens as in you can not feel it shift, the shift peddle does not move. More (Lots Of) information is VERY helpful with this stuff.
Have you tried shifting gears and rocking the bike back and forth while the engine is not running to see if it "feels" like it is changing gears?

S F

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
So if the chain is in place... ?

Nothing happens as in you can not feel it shift, the shift peddle does not move. More (Lots Of) information is VERY helpful with this stuff.
Have you tried shifting gears and rocking the bike back and forth while the engine is not running to see if it "feels" like it is changing gears?

S F
Yes it feels like it changes gear but it doesn鈥檛 do it so for example so I can put it in 4th gear then I release the clutch I still have pressure or drag or what the right word is at least no problem with the cutch it鈥檚 like normal when you drive yes but when I release the clutch it like I have it in neutral at least

the moped is at my dad鈥檚 house right now so I will maybe check on it today or it will be on Monday

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
In the states, motorcycles/scooters are mostly recreational and not workhorses, therefore some might consider them toys. Although some do get used as daily commuters, they are on the low side in numbers.
I don鈥檛 use mine as a toy it鈥檚 a moped 50cc and you get it when you鈥檙e 15 and I drive with it everyday on the street but this summer I at least can get a 125 if I can afford it.

Tobbe, no offence was intended. I referred to most of my 87 motorcycles as toys because they were and are for the most part superfluous and easily replaced---with another Toy 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Okay the problem is solved it was the chain but thanks for the help because I didn鈥檛 know what to check all I need to do now is make it shorter because it can trip of again if I don鈥檛 do it

Registered
You can download the owner's manual for your RX50 from online for free. It will explain very simply, with pictures, how to adjust your chain as well as all other necessary maintenance tasks.

Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
Okay the problem is solved it was the chain but thanks for the help because I didn鈥檛 know what to check all I need to do now is make it shorter because it can trip of again if I don鈥檛 do it
Good to hear problem solved! Couple tips:
1. Make sure your sprocket teeth are still sharp. Rounded out or worn teeth can cause the chain to act up.
2. Don't make the chain too tight. It should have some play, but not too much.

Have fun! :)

American Legion Rider
That suggests that you have a chain that has really stretched a lot. You very well might want to replace chain and sprockets. A chain coming off due to worn sprocket can do a lot of damage. Including personal injury. The removal of one link requires a lot of room for adjustment to get the proper slack back. Much more than any stock bike I've seen. It's almost like they know a stretched chain is dangerous and purposely shorten the adjustment area.

Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
Stretched chain, improperly adjusted chain, or wrecked sprocket...but OP hasn't given enough details about what exactly was wrong with the chain to show. :)

A new chain is definitely a safe bet to make.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts