Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Ace Tuner
1,862 Posts
I've seen lots of ball races dented in the place where the steering is pointed in the straight and forward position.
We get the front wheel off the ground, move the bars from side to side and it would kinda flop and / or settle into the straight forward, middle position most of the time.
I always thought the race was the weak link in the ball and race type bearing.
Never really looked at the balls very closely. Now I wish I would have. Next time I will.

BTW. What Kawasaki is this you're working on?

S F

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeah, that's exactly what is happening with mine. I'm sure I need new races also, they're on order but are going to get delayed with the back order on the seal. I have a Ninja 500.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I saw the title of this thread and thought it must be some sad Democrat. My advice was going to be: become a Trump supporter!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Update: I've got pretty tough balls. Tried squeezing one as hard as I could with a pair of pliers, and couldn't even make a mark.
All parts are in.

A lot of foreplay was involved, but now comes the fun part.

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
Are you hanging that puppy from a rafter? Or something like a ceiling and hooks. Nice wood floor by the way.(y) (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have hooks screwed in to ceiling studs. Can easily support the weight of the MC. But in this case I have the weight on jacks since I'm going to be banging on it with hammers and what not. So just using the ceiling hooks for back up, in case a jack slips.

Much easier to work on than carpet

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update:
Got the races out of the neck. But having a heck of a time getting the one off the stem.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I put a little PB blaster on it. I've made some head way. Just haven't got it all the way off. Will need to get the jaws of life.
We're gonna need a bigger tool

·
Registered
609 Posts
I found this vid -
- invaluable when I did mine. Hope you don't have too much trouble!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The St. Valentines Day Massacre

Got some gouges where I shouldn't

This side is worse. Probably at least 1mm deep.

I knocked down the high spots with a Dremel . Had to use 80 grit sandpaper to get to hard to get to area on the edge. Then sanded the affected areas with 220 grit paper. Then used a buffer attachment on the Dremel to go over it. Hopefully this will be alright.

I am so glad I ordered a new washer that goes underneath the stem race, when I ordered parts.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Update:
Got the races on. Now that the fun part is over, I guess tomorrow is cuddling time.
AKA reassembly time.

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
Well how ugly were the races then if the spindle looked that bad? Or did they just have some notches? I don't recall seeing any photos of them. Maybe I missed it. That's certainly possible with me scanning more than reading.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to play the race card.

But here it is.

You can't see it in the picture but using the inner races as driver tools I had to modify the lower one (bottom right pic). I had to grind some of the material off the outer edge. Needed to decrease the diameter so I could drive it in deep and still be able to easily pull it out.
I can make anything sound sexual

·
Registered
609 Posts
I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate to play the race card.
:LOL:

Nowadays, it's ALWAYS appropriate! The more, the better!

Short story I found funny: I work in the public school system. There is a big push (well, bigger than usual) to implement "social justice" programs that emphasize the "unconscious bias" that us generic white folk have towards those whose skin tone does not match ours AND are of a lower socio-economic status (i.e. Asians and Indians don't count). During a meeting being led by... an upper middle class white woman, she mentioned how developing guidelines shouldn't be done by just the "white people sitting here in this room." One of my friends, who has been in another school system that was destroyed by this sh!t, raised his hand and said "Well, it sounds like your unconscious bias has led you to assume that I am white when, in fact, I am Puerto Rican." He said her reaction was priceless - mouth open and a complete loss for words...

Sorry for the diversion! Now, back to the races!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Update:
I've got a woody!

Front wheel in contact with floor. All jacks and strap support removed.
When I get a woody

·
Visionary
2,987 Posts
Having just done the same job on my bike I know how much 'fun' it is. Judging by my experience your going to love how it rides now, mine had gone bad slowly over the last 100k miles, they were terribly stiff and rusty but since they go bad gradually you don't notice it until they are almost non functional. When i tried out the new bearings if felt like a brand new bike...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts