Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my steering stem that is.
Not sure if chrome or stainless steel is best.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
609 Posts
:LOL:

Are you keeping the races and just replacing the bearings?

Have you ever tried roller bearings in the stem?

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have new races and seals on the way just in case.
Roller bearings: This is why I didn't pose this on kawiforums.
Want to stick with balls for now. Just can't figure whether chrome or ss is the way to go.
I'm feeling some AC/DC coming on

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
All balls has a kit. Or I pound them out, and ask for decent new ones from the bearings shop.
With the kit in hand, it is a same day job.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
1,862 Posts
If you're not changing to tapered bearings, why not just order std balls from Kawasaki?
Balls are just balls aren't they?

S F

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By chrome, do you mean chromium steel, or chromed steel? One is an alloy, the other plated.
Here's some info: Bearing Materials - Ceramics, Chrome Steels, Stainless Steels, and Plastics | Engineers Edge | www.engineersedge.com
Not really sure. I mean I'm sure chrome plated wouldn't be good. I would think that would easily chip.
All balls has a kit. Or I pound them out, and ask for decent new ones from the bearings shop.
With the kit in hand, it is a same day job.

UK
I already have all other parts coming (OEM). I will decide whether or which ones to replace once I inspect it. I'm just hung up on the balls. The good news is, either one (chrome or ss) I can get in a few days. The races may take a couple of weeks.
If you're not changing to tapered bearings, why not just order std balls from Kawasaki?
Balls are just balls aren't they?

S F
Kawasaki wants $0.95 per ball. I need 39 balls. Buying from other sources they can be had for ~ $5 - ~$7 for a bag of 50 - 100.

"Balls are just balls aren't they?"
Now I did give fair warning.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually let me come at it from a different angle.
Does anyone even make chrome plated ball bearings? Because it doesn't make sense to me why they would. So I would think the chrome ones would in fact be solid chrome steel.

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
Chrome plated would be worthless to my way of thinking. If any of the plating cracked, it could flake off causing other problems.

·
Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Yes, there are chrome plated bearing balls, just not for the kind of bearing here. Usually, they are actually brass, so for very light duty; the chrome makes the surface last longer, since brass degrades so fast.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think most of the MC manufactures use chrome. Not sure about Kawi, they like to keep this info under wraps. Hopefully if I go chrome I won't get some flaky duds.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Solution achieved
I will just squeeze one of my balls in a pair of vise grips and let the flakes fall where they may. (y)

·
American Legion Rider
19,010 Posts
Ole Jerry was EXTREMELY controversial in more ways than one.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:
Balls-a-coming
Bag of 50 chrome G10 grade. Now the bad news. An OEM seal is on back order.
I hate it when that happens

1 - 20 of 39 Posts