Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to change my front forks seal and I need a fork spring compressor to do it. I've found some on Ebay for over $150, I was hoping to there is a cheaper option.

·
Very Famous Person
9,676 Posts
--

I have not done bike forks before, but I have compressed ATV springs using ratchet straps that I had on hand. It didn't cost me anything, but they are a bit harder to use.

Be sure to use gloves and eye protection when using compression stuff as the spring can slip around.

--

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Fork it.

I am not sure why you need one.
You may be able to remove the front wheel, put a shim between the brake pucks, release the air pressure and undo the bolts that hold the lower suspension pieces. Then you might be looking for a seal remover.

But can you post a photo of the forks.

Unkle Crusty

·
Registered
245 Posts
I used a gear puller from autozone to do this job. The outline is given here: http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fork_Maintenance

Even a neat idea of using an appropriately sized PVC Pipe for replacing seals is included in the guide. It's easy stuff you can do on the garage floor with the front wheel propped.

Edit: The autozone gear puller is a rental which is TOTALLY FREE. You can rent both a small and large puller based on the size of your Triple Tree. Mine was appropriate to use the small one.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
On some bikes you can leave the upper fork right on the bike and just take the lower slider off. You use a short length of PVC, split in half lengthwise, and attach that to the upper fork with two band clamps. Then work the lower slider like a slide hammer against the PVC "anvil" to seat the new seals.

As long as your bike has a fork cap that can be removed to add new fluid without having to un-compress the spring this is a very fast way to change seals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts