Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I occasionally frequent the forum for the Subaru Outback, and have found it sometimes provides useful information to me as an Outback owner. But I could not resist commenting on a thread about "the wave". The OP stated that he sees Jeep owners wave to each other occasionally, and felt that the Outback community should start its own wave. My response was that drivers of four wheel vehicles are not eligible to use "the wave" and that it was limited solely to riders of motorcycles. I added that if he "waves" at other cars people will likely think he is a biker wanna-be. I'm awaiting the firestorm now.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Haven't you noticed.....pickup drivers wave at everybody, they wave when no one is there just out of habit.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Wave

Many elderly birders drive those vehicles. They might interpret and wave as a bird sign.
I can imagine the conversation. " Was that a Red Tailed hawk sign, or a Coopers hawk sign "

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
18,502 Posts
I have found that being a pickup driver and biker I'm waving all the time anyway. At least if they wave they don't have their nose buried in their phone texting. So WAVE folks wave.:D

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have to agree with Vito. Ever since I've been riding on the street I have always waved and been waved by fellow riders regardless of what I was riding.
I drive a pick up truck, and have never once felt the inclination to wave to another pickup truck. Always thought it was a bike thing.

Hogcowboy brings up a really good point too. Motorcycle riders have an innate NEED to be aware of their surroundings, and therefore tend to notice each other more than an automobile operator. And yes, if you get a wave back, you know that they're paying attention to their surroundings rather than their mobile device.

·
Registered
626 Posts
When I moved from the rat-race to Montana, the amount of waving shocked me. I first thought, "Do I know him/her?" Then I began realizing people were just plain courteous to one another on the road, no matter what the mode of transportation was. So I say, wave on...unless you're in a situation where your arm gets fatigued.:71baldboy:

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Haven't you noticed.....pickup drivers wave at everybody, they wave when no one is there just out of habit.
They're not waving. They're flicking a booger.

Correct protocol in a pick-'em-up on a country 2-lane is to raise one finger from the steering wheel to acknowledge an oncoming driver.

Don't they teach this shi* in schools, anymore?

·
Registered
626 Posts
They're not waving. They're flicking a booger.

Correct protocol in a pick-'em-up on a country 2-lane is to raise one finger from the steering wheel to acknowledge an oncoming driver.

Don't they teach this shi* in schools, anymore?
I've got rubber floor mats. Flicking 'em on the floor down low is a great covert move too. Never have done any gold digging on my Harley though. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seriously, there is a type of comradarie among motorcyclists that "the wave", in all its various forms, symbolizes. It expresses our shared interest in this admittedly somewhat risky passion that places us separately from traditional drivers of four wheel vehicles. Waving among car owners seems a bit silly to me. I don't think that just because I might chose a brand of car puts me into any special relationship with another person who buys that brand. But when I get on my motorcycle I realize that all of us who do are part of that special fraternity who chose to accept the risk in return for the thrill and pleasure of riding.

There might be some four wheel vehicles that represent a special niche and therefore warrant a wave among adherents. The Jeep Wrangler might be in that category since everyone who buys a Wrangler is willing to spend good money on 1950's technology and drive an uncomfortable and somewhat unreliable ride. I had a friend years ago who drove a Morgan, and he had told me that if he should ever encounter a fellow Morgan driver he would certainly wave. But since there are so few of these chronically unreliable British "sports cars" in the U.S., that was not likely to ever happen.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
It's not so much a "Jeep wave" as it is a "Wrangler/CJ wave" Rarely do I get a wave in my Liberty...even though it probably spends more time off tarmac than most Wranglers out there.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
In the Australian Outback, that's about 400 km (250 miles) and more inland from the coast, every driver raises their first two fingers from the steering wheel when they pass an oncoming vehicle.

This is mainly because there's hardly any other traffic out there and it's a recognition of "You poor ******* having to be out here!"

Roads out there are usually a single lane of tarseal (blacktop?) with a wide dirt shoulder each side so each vehicle has to slow and move half off the tarseal so they can pass each other. If the oncoming vehicle is a roadtrain (three trailers and up to 58 tires) then anything smaller pulls right off the tarseal and gives the roadtrain right of way.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I was sitting at a red light in my Jeep and I notice next to me a young woman is waving to me. I'm thinking "wow, I know you?" and then I noticed she's driving a Jeep! :(

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
I was sitting at a red light in my Jeep and I notice next to me a young woman is waving to me. I'm thinking "wow, I know you?" and then I noticed she's driving a Jeep! :(
WEll that's better than the single-finger salute I usually receive when I look over at a red light to admire the "seat covers" in the adjacent vehicle.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts