Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me, the peak of motorcycle design are 1990's sportbikes. I'd love to have a first gen CBR900RR at some point, but they seem kindof rare. Sure, I like today's sportbikes, but they're so extreme - tall bikes with high tails and transformer fairings. Triumph's Speed Tripple fairings seem retro and cool, but I've never seen one in real life.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had a 96 and a 99 cbr 900. They were awesome bikes. Man that 900 felt like a 600. It was something else. What great engineering from honda. I went down on the 96 (about 20 years ago). The one in my pic is the 99. I gave it to my son . It had over 60k on it last year but started having trouble shifting in second gear. It was probably a fork . I told my son I would fix it over the winter but he didnt want to wait and sold it. It was in excellent condition. He bought a 13 zx6r. i have a 13 cbr 1000 now. They called that bike J-Lo cause of the wide tail :) It kind of hurt letting it go. You wont find a cbr 900 in that good of condition

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a nice one. There are two '92's that come to a local vintage bike night. Sometimes they're the only other CBRs parked inline with my 2017 500.

·
Registered
96 Posts
To be honest I think it depends on when you first starting biking, I started in the 90s so I messed about with different types of bikes and brands, now I have ridden for 27 years and am pretty much a street bike or Harley bike rider, sports bike I can't own them I ride them like a prat so its better I keep away from them.

I have to admit I prefer the looks of the older bikes, they wasn't so extreme looking but I do think todays bikes are better overall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, I agree the 1990s marked a high point in sports bike design, this may have been as result of the growing importance of the World Super Bike serious in the 90s. At one point the WSB serious had more people attending their vents than Motogp, which were 2 Stroke prototype bikes; hence Motogp changed to 4 Stroke.

1992 is a land mark year in sports bike design with the release of the legendary CBR 900 Fireblade. Honda also produce the VFR 750 RC30 which was a WSB bike. However my favourite 90s sports bike is the 996 (like the 916) Ducati which I have owned in the past. This bike was never practical, it cost a lot to maintain and broke down often, however it looked and rode in a very special way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts