Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1988 Xr100 that was sitting outside. I worked on it for a while. Currently i am painting the frame. it had a motor but was missing the head and is a bit rusted on the inside. I would like to get the bike running by the time i reassemble it. Are there any cheap motors that i can get to replace the rusted one sitting now?

·
Premium Member
7,652 Posts
Motor

When I bought my 83 XS 400 that had been sitting outside for three years, I was told the motor was fairly thrashed and leaked oil. So I bought another engine and swapped it. Now I have a spare engine.

What Dodsfall said.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
176 Posts
Honestly, I'm a person who enjoys resurrecting old dirtbikes from the dead. I would ask what your max budget is first and foremost. Because a new head just the shell is going to run you almost 400$. See link below as an example.

http://www.motosport.com/ca/dirtbike/oem-parts/honda/1988/xr100/cylinder-head

See part #5.

It all depends on what part you need from the head.

What state are you in?

I would start looking at motorcycle wreckers in your area to see about getting a new engine that you could cannibalize for the parts you need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont know a whole lot about motorcyle engine but im a big hot rod guy and we use automatic trans fluid to unlock seized rusted engines and then whan its unlocked we soak them in a solution called evaparust

·
Registered
176 Posts
You'll never believe me, but Tabasco Sauce works wonders on rusty bolts. What part of the head do you need for your bike?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Totally peppers. Think about the human body... how do you perform on the toilet after drinking a cup of oil? Now compare that to how you perform when you drink a cup of Tabasco?
I WIN!

lol.

But seriously, I get what you're saying about ATF in your components. Just wanted to make a poo joke is all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts