Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sick of winter on the Canadian prairies - temperature of -30C to -40, strong winds, blowing snow, and just generally miserable weather to try to do anything outside!

I wish I had taken my grandmother's advice and married for money - married twice, divorced twice, and both times left with debt. If I had married a doctor or a lawyer maybe I would have money for a winter vacation some place WARM! Oh well, too late now - retired and living on a meagre pension :(

I'd love to go someplace warm and sunny for a few weeks, me, my motorcycle, and my dog - someplace motorcycle-friendly - but looking at rentals in Florida and Arizona they are pretty pricey plus the cost of shipping the bike or driving for 3 days.

Maybe some of you who live in warmer climates could suggest areas that aren't as expensive and "touisty" - heck even an old hippy commune would do! ;)

Time to start planning for next winter!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Start planning Dianne. You might try looking at places less popular with tourists and retirees than AZ and FL. The sheer number of folks who arrive in the fall and leave in the spring makes those places costly. Are you aware that probably the southern half of the US enjoys a mild enough winter that those of us hardened to truly cold winters would find them very ride friendly? For me that would include the Carolinas, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana and similarly warm points west of there. Have a look at a map and check rental prices. I bet you could stay for half of what Florida would cost by just avoiding the more popular locations. A nice used cruiser to leave in a storage shed while you return home could just be kept there for your winter rides.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
In Florida look at places that aren't on the water and aren't in south Florida. (And stay away from Orlando.) If you go inland a bit and in a smaller community away from the tourist areas you might be able to find something more reasonable. Ask among your fellow Canadians: Half of them are already here. :)

I think it was in the low 80's here today, Dianne

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
I ride all but a few weeks here in Texas and that's only because of ice. Most every day gets to at least the upper 30's(F) and normally upper 40's(F). There are just those few pesky weeks in January or February that get down to the teens and if it's done without moisture you can still ride but below 25(F) I just don't think it's worth it. After all, wait a couple days and we are back to the 40's in the heat of the day. You would roast come summer though. Well until you get my age and that summer still feels better than winter. I'm losing the battle with cold. But I did pick my bike up from the shop yesterday when it was 28(F). I do like my electric duds though! Fingers still take the brunt even on high. Go farther south of me and you can enjoy 60's all the time but then that's where the snowbirds go. You being from Canada would ride in short sleeves here.:D

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Yea, well, not only is my riding cut to almost none, but I also have to work day shifts in the winter......I started this week, again end of Dec first of Jan, last of Jan first of Feb, last of Feb first of Mar.....then I'm done with day shifts until Dec next year

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same hatred when I lived in Chicago. Now I moved to San Francisco and am enjoying 60 degrees in December! :)

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
I hated going to that cold foggy place. Guess if you live there you do see more sun than us that "had" to go there for one reason or the other. For me it was always having to take visitors there so they could say they saw the Golden Gate and the wharf or GG Park or zoo or Aquarium or a play or concert or or or.... It never failed to be foggy with me though. I did learn how to deal with hills though.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes I know exactly what you mean.
Winter is bloody awful.
Right now its a chilly 21 deg C.
Cold Northeaster, blowing down from Europe :(
So I have to use my electric blanket.
Roll on summer, with a nice 38 deg C ! :biggrin:

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
:confused: :confused: Wait, isn't 21*C like 70*F??? I'd ride in 70*F almost any day!! Am I missing something or are you just trying to rub it in like other Forum members do????

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I am sick of winter on the Canadian prairies - temperature of -30C to -40, strong winds, blowing snow, and just generally miserable weather to try to do anything outside!

I wish I had taken my grandmother's advice and married for money - married twice, divorced twice, and both times left with debt. If I had married a doctor or a lawyer maybe I would have money for a winter vacation some place WARM! Oh well, too late now - retired and living on a meagre pension :(

I'd love to go someplace warm and sunny for a few weeks, me, my motorcycle, and my dog - someplace motorcycle-friendly - but looking at rentals in Florida and Arizona they are pretty pricey plus the cost of shipping the bike or driving for 3 days.

Maybe some of you who live in warmer climates could suggest areas that aren't as expensive and "touisty" - heck even an old hippy commune would do! ;)

Howdy! Hippy Commune?? Most folks may think they no longer exist...BUT, there are actually SEVERAL near Asheville N.C.!! Imagine that!!
Now as far as warmer places that dont cost an arm and a leg....Valdosta ,GA.?? I have often dreamed of making it there for a brief respite....I love FL. too but...kinda pricey for me..
But up where you are.....Man!! Thats gotta be COLD!! ( No offense)
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
:confused: :confused: Wait, isn't 21*C like 70*F??? I'd ride in 70*F almost any day!! Am I missing something or are you just trying to rub it in like other Forum members do????
No, as I have stated before, in other posts, I have really bad circulation.
Even riding in the Summer across USA, I can take my gloves off, and my nails will be blue and my fingers dead & white.
As said, Gas Station Coffee, might not always taste good, but its a handy hand warmer.
Yes, when I was younger, I also rode in weather a lot colder than this.
Now Im 60 and my misdeeds have come back to haunt me.
Take Care Out There.

Yes It might be the Canary Islands, But at the moment, its only the tourists that are in T shirts & shorts, the locals & I are in thick coats & wooly hats.
At Mid Day it was around 30 deg C, so the temp drop is noticeable, now at 2300.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
MGRider, now go on a 1000K ride! :icon_cool:
Did a Saddlesore 1000 mi Year before last.
This year I went for a 1600 in 24 hrs, but got screwed by roadworks.
The IBA corrected my milage to 1586, in 27 hrs 12 mins.
They do not allow for the fact that, not every filling station, is right there at the top of the ramps. Speedo said 1628, I submitted 1604.
In Nebraska I was so cold, the guy gave me the coffee first, because I couldn't open my hands enough to get cash from my zipped thigh pocket.
Take Care Out There.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Wow MG, Glad you are still here to tell us about it. I can understand why you want hot weather. I only have a bad back and I can usually tell you when it's going to snow or rain.

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Heat wave

Was 14 C here this morning out on the wet coast. Was minus 5 when I rode over to the mainland a couple of weeks ago. But if you come out here, you will need to get used to the rain. Not the wet est place, but enough. Rarely snows, and melts quickly.
There is warm air blowing up from the South, so Oregon and Washington folks should be happy.
I ride year round, but pick my days.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Gee DianneB... I feel your pain. Kind of... I can't stand cold weather for anytime longer then a weekend. That's why I live in Hawaii. Hell, me and some friends went to the beach last Sunday!!! It was 82* and sunny today.

If you wanted to, you and Mr. DianneB could fly out here to Honolulu. I can hook you up with bikes to ride. All you need is airfare and I can even find you accomodations that won't cost what the suckers in Waikiki pay. As for the Hippie aspect... well, me and my shop are as Hippie as it gets!!!

Sorry it's so miserable there... I couldn't deal with not being able to ride 24/7/365... You have my sympathy!!!

Jack

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
Temperature

You may have to disclose that the coldest recorded temperature in Honolulu up to 1969 was 51 F. I was there. Think I put on long pants in the evening.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 25 Posts