Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I know I am odd, but this is pretty bad. I work in Canton, OH. Up there it is crazy right now with last minute Christmas shopping going on. None the less I ride to work and back. Why not? The weather was 50's after all.

So my FZ1 and I go to pull out. The road is clear and I begin my right turn. Just to have some guy come from the other side of the road and try making a left in the lot right through me. A little gas and off I went shaking my head. I go to make my left turn next. As I move into the left lane a guy pulls out right at me pedal to the floor. More gas and the bike jumps out of his way on its rear tire.

Now I am ticked as I sit at a red light awaiting an arrow to turn. I do a mirror check to find a lifted truck that didn't seem to know I was already there. I lurch dangerously into the intersection far enough to give him the line he wanted to stop at. Feeling exposed and with no where to go I was holding my breath until the arrow lit up and I could make my turn.

Wouldn't you know it a guy makes his right from the other side pedal down again to beat the truck. I end up braking and praying I wasn't about to catch a bumper in my rear as I could hear the diesel moving.

So one more right turn to make on to 77S. No sweat. The truck is now beside me, there are no left turns from the other side, and I had a car behind me already stopped. Easy! Then the car behind starts hitting its horn and lurching forward at me! With a "No turn on red" sign right there, I hold my ground. Up until her bumper shoves on my tire. No crap the girl (16 at best) was trying to push me forward! All I could do with cross traffic is hold my brake and turn and yell.

Now the afore mentioned truck's passenger (Ironic it had a Harley sticker on the back) decides to drop his window to yell at the driver too. Yeah! What a mess as that @$$hole decides to reply with more shoving. Oh and a yell back that I was riding illegally because bikes were banned during the winter, so SHE was going to turn in my plate. Hmmm.... Can this get any crazier?

I would love to tell you that this 39yr old kept his cool at this point, but that would be a lie. I grabbed even harder on my brakes, gave the throttle a twist and proceeded to leave him a nice mark across her bumper as the bike walked sideways. Never done a burn out before, but I was beyond scared and ticked.

As that light turned I shot through my turn with this lady TRYING to keep up with me. I entered 77 doing around... well triple digits and ducked- in what I hate doing- between two cars into the furthest left lane to escape the car. Then I slowed to see her fly right up on another car and ride their butt like a NASCAR racer. Finally she got past them and I watched her disappear ahead.

Over a rise I got to see her again with some flashing lights behind her on the side of the road. I thought about adding my 2 cents, but thought the better of it. I left her behind with a wave I know she saw. Her sign back made me aware that she was oh so happy to see me again too.

So now I am on easy street cruising down to my exit and thinking about the remaining 25miles home with a smile. Of course my smile was to interrupted by a ricer who though I was taking the exit too slowly (65ish). I left him behind for the exit then moved out of his way. No biggie.

By the time I got home though, I had dodged 6 deer on a windy road, had a patch of oil kick my rear out for a second (pucker moment), and got my bike muddy at a construction site entrance. None the less, I enjoyed those parts.

The drivers who seemed on a mission to kill me though. C'mon guys! Are these people that dumb, blind, and in such a rush? And here I thought the holiday was about caring.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,857 Posts
Why I try to avoid Holiday Traffic .. May Take a Short Ride Today but will down some Back Roads near me where no one goes unless they are heading home or visiting what few live in the route I have planned .. Only thing worse than Holiday Traffic is doing a Demo Ride with a few that have no business on a Motorcycle to begin with ..

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
It's been raining like a child born out of wedlock most of the month, so there have been a lot of rear end fender-benders. And what do all these ignorant frantic suckarses do? Park it as is, in the lane of traffic where the incident happened, as if the freaking CSI team is going to respond out in the rain and chalk everything out and take photos of the crime scene.

Move to the shoulder you dopes.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I know it's ridiculous out there - peoples' heads are just completely bent.
They're just thinking about too many things.

You've definitely gotta be very careful on a bike right now.
And that's true all the way until the start of January.
People are just "out to lunch" over the holidays.

Your experience was insane, though.
Glad you're still with us!

dT

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
..................... I work in Canton, OH.....................Now I am ticked as I sit at a red light awaiting an arrow to turn...... I had dodged 6 deer on a windy road,..................
Many of my wife's family are all in the Akron area. We go there frequently. I miss it there.

You wrote all this at a RED light????? (fast typist!!)

Six deer, eh?? Roused the "Hunter" in m (lol).

-Soupy

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Traffic

The guy across the street left earlier on his scooter. That is today's traffic report from the Island.
Not much sense me going up Island, everything will be closed. Coffee was closed yesterday.
Sun is out so I will go and visit the boat.

Unkle Crusty

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I had to work today. I spent 30 minutes in the city riding around trying to find something to eat. Finally the second 7-11 I passed was open.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many of my wife's family are all in the Akron area. We go there frequently. I miss it there.

You wrote all this at a RED light????? (fast typist!!)

Six deer, eh?? Roused the "Hunter" in m (lol).

-Soupy
Super fast typing. lol

You know Belden Village Mall area? That was where this was.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is up to you and if you do this plan on out running or ducking.

Carry a couple of steel bearings some where on you or your bike after you are moving about 30 with them on you but pitch the bearing into the windshield. It won't go thru but scares the crap out of them and gives you time to get away.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Then the car behind starts hitting its horn and lurching forward at me! With a "No turn on red" sign right there, I hold my ground. Up until her bumper shoves on my tire. No crap the girl (16 at best) was trying to push me forward!
And that is why I always ride with a helmet cam. Sometimes my mind is blown by how stupid some people drive. Had a young girl drive right in front of me one morning. She couldn't see anything because her window was frosted up and apparently she didn't have time to scrape off more than a dollar bill size hole to look through.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Typical Ohio drivers.

Coming to work today (in the pickup) car sitting at light in front of me. Light changes, car sitting at green light in front of me. Beep, car sitting at green light in front of me. Beep, car sitting at green light in front of me. I go around and she is texting! :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Window

^ reminds me of a video I recently saw. I don't recommend the behavior but it made me laugh.

http://youtu.be/2hmT471DLrw
They do not have ice scrapers in England. They boil the kettle and pour the water on the windscreen. They do not get to practice using the defroster.
They do not know about opening the side window so that the interior of the windscreen does not fog.
On a bicycle you need to avoid the solid objects. In the farm truck it is not so critical.

Unkle Crusty*

·
6,483 Posts
Pony, I think If I were you I'd take this as an omen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

At least you now know that you have an Angel watching out for you.:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Another one of those horrible pieces of Internet advice that just won't go away.
Some times advise can help someone and then again some people just all ready know it all.
Not advocating that anyone take all advise just passing along some hard lessons learned, 50 years of riding give or take 10 or 12 years

1 - 20 of 24 Posts