Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to go overnight to a location about 3 hours riding away, with no easy way to avoid most of it on the Interstate (the alternative would have been riding through city streets, including some pretty bad areas). By the time I got home I realized that I was more tired than a 3 hour ride would have been in the past, and in honesty, didn't much enjoy the ride either. I guess it means I am getting old when the chance to take a 3 hour ride is more a chore than fun. Most of the rides I take are about 1 to 2 hours tops, on some nice country roads in this area, and these rides are what keep me in motorcycling. But the old days of putting in a full day on the slab and covering hundreds of miles, and loving every minute of it, seem to be gone.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I stopped loving hundreds of miles on the slab when I was in my 30's, maybe?

As long as there's a type of riding that you still enjoy, try to do that type the most. Continue mission.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
I can certainly sympathize. The fact that it was an "overnight" ride, didn't make it any easier.

The "Ride To Jamestown Island" that I've been promoting is coming up, and I'll feed off the energy of the younger set that will go along. I'll pay for it afterwards though. It's 3 hours of secondary AND highway (mostly secondary), one way; with about a two hour layover. Then we turn around and head back (about the same ratio of secondary and highway as the trip out).

The biggest thing "I" found, on the ride I did LAST month to the same location, was the heat my butt felt. I'm working on THAT one!! (lol).

-Soupy

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I'm one that actually likes riding the interstate. It's relaxing to me and I can get away with riding a bit faster than on secondary roads most of the time.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The interstate is my psychologist. No fee or deductible. I recommend him to all. Can't beat his hourly rate and I challenge anyone who can. :biggrin:

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I like riding long distances, don't get me wrong. I just prefer to do it on back roads and open highways, not Interstate slabs. I'll roll down an Interstate when I have to be somewhere, but my choice is riding through the America I can stop and touch.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
That almost looks like a saying that belongs on a poster or something. :)
Go to one of those "Custom Bumper Sticker" websites and have one made!!

I once owned a Jeep Wrangler. I had a custom bumper sticker made that said:

CAUTION: Driver Often Goes Topless!!

(You should have seen all the truckers that would speed up to see who was driving!! They sure were disappointed when they saw it was only ME!!)

-Soupy

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Ritalin or Versed?

The interstate is my psychologist.
An Interstate? Really?? Because between the wind buffeting and exhaust noise you don't have to listen to yourself think between fill-ups, and choice meals at (pick 4) of the same seven corporate-run fast food joints at every exit?

Well, I suppose SOME see a psychiatrist for barbituates and some of us seek benzedrine ......

The empty, twisty country two-lane is MY psychiatrist.....

He practices out of a diner with a past-her-prime receptionist, err, waitress nametagged "Flo" who clearly "had it" back in her glory days.....

To be honest, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, Deep Purple were my "therapy group" during h.s. Didn't want to hear myself think either.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
An Interstate? Really?? Because between the wind buffeting and exhaust noise you don't have to listen to yourself think between fill-ups, and choice meals at (pick 4) of the same seven corporate-run fast food joints at every exit?

Well, I suppose SOME see a psychiatrist for barbituates and some of us seek benzedrine ......

The empty, twisty country two-lane is MY psychiatrist.....

He practices out of a diner with a past-her-prime receptionist, err, waitress nametagged "Flo" who clearly "had it" back in her glory days.....

To be honest, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, Deep Purple were my "therapy group" during h.s. Didn't want to hear myself think either.
While I don't mind the interstate too much, I again have to agree with you about twisty country back roads.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If I have someplace to go I often choose the most direct path. If I am just out for a ride I want the twisties with the great view points on them. My longer rides often include both. I ride the superslab from place to place but get off where I know there are good rides to enjoy. I do not suffer through endless small towns to get someplace where the riding is good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm 59 and love the highway. Next weekend I have a trip scheduled that will take me a couple of hours out on the Mass Turnpike to get lunch. After lunch we will be doing a ride through the mountains in western MA then the Quabbin area. From there I jump back on the highway to head home. Total time riding will be 8-10 hours with a 45 minute lunch break. At least 4 hours of that riding with be on the interstate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts