Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I needed to change my chain and when I bought my motorcycle it came with an extra chain so then I realized the old one was a 532 and the new one was a 525. So my question is can I use it

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I've never heard of a 532 pitch.
Find out what size chain the bike came with stock, and replace accordingly. Also replace the sprockets with the proper size, especially the proper size pitch.

·
American Legion Rider
21,819 Posts
If you happen to think you can go cheap and get by with just replacing the chain you'll be in for a surprise. You'll be replacing the chain again really quick compared to how long the original lasted. Always replace chain and sprockets for maximum life of all.

·
Motorcyclist/Trucker/ Deplorable
1,190 Posts
If you happen to think you can go cheap and get by with just replacing the chain you'll be in for a surprise. You'll be replacing the chain again really quick compared to how long the original lasted. Always replace chain and sprockets for maximum life of all.
I will add to this... Also no matter what chain size you had the sprockets matched that chain, if you change the chain, the sprockets need to match the pitch of your new chain in addition to the age/how much used. As Hog said New chain new matching sprockets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got new sprockets too but seem to fit the old chain so I guess I need to buy a new one

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But is it possible to put on a 530 chain on a 532 sprockets because the 532 chain is very expensive. Or is it a risk I shouldn't take

·
Registered
982 Posts
But is it possible to put on a 530 chain on a 532 sprockets because the 532 chain is very expensive. Or is it a risk I shouldn't take
It may be possible but mixing and matching different pitch chain and sprockets is never a good idea. You are messing with various widths and roller sizes on what is basically a steel whip rotating at high rate of speed just inches away from you. I would suggest either returning the chain or get sprockets to match...

·
Ace Tuner
2,509 Posts
It may be possible but mixing and matching different pitch chain and sprockets is never a good idea. You are messing with various widths and roller sizes on what is basically a steel whip rotating at high rate of speed just inches away from you. I would suggest either returning the chain or get sprockets to match...
Not only a bad idea but wrong, wrong, wrong.
Because you already have a 530 chain, get front and rear sprockets made for the 530 chain and be done with it.
If your chain is toast you need new sprockets anyway. Seems like a no-brainer does it not?

S F

·
American Legion Rider
21,819 Posts
Unfortunately there are many that think a motorcycle is a low budget item. And we all know that isn't so. But they do. And if they can't afford to do the job correctly they do with what they have, then complain about cheap parts or cheap bikes. There's some saying about, doing the job right, not twice. Some only realize that when they are doing the job the second or sometimes third time. We've done the best we can do by giving the best advice. The rest is on them.

·
Ace Tuner
2,509 Posts
The only low budget thing about a M/C is gas mileage, most of the time.

S F

·
American Legion Rider
21,819 Posts
Yep. (y) (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Agreed. It is hard to be smug when the small cages get better fuel economy. I try not to talk about my 79 XS1100. 40mpg on a big gallon. My old Saturn averaged 40. The problem with bikes IMO, is the lack of streamlining. We are pushing too much air.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
2,509 Posts
If you keep a quality chain well lubed it can last about 20,000 miles, sometimes more.
Happy trails... ?

S F.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,129 Posts
Let us know how it works out for you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts