Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys (and girls), l finally bought a bike today. It came down to an EX500 and an SV650 and the Suzuki won out. It really is the cleanest used motorcycle l have ever seen. It's a 2004 and only has 5k miles on it, and has never been downed. Bright shiny yellow. It looks brand new. More than that, l really love how it fits, how it rides. It feels like the kind of bike that l can learn a ton on and yet not get bored with in a month.

I picked it up this afternoon at about 3pm and then followed my girlfriend to her parents' house for dinner, about an hour through old country highways. I had an absolute blast! I liked how l didn't feel like l had to really worry about getting ahold of too much throttle, yet it was responsive. It has a lot more power than the 500 did. After dinner l rode it home, which consisted of half an hour of more country roads and then a 15 minute ride on I-5. I didn't really plan on taking it on the freeway, but decided there was no time like the present and had no problems.

Oh, one question l do have for anyone who has one...the gas light came on so l went and gassed up, but it only took just over 3 gallons of gas. According to specs l have read it has a 4.5 gallon tank. Does it really have a gallon and a half reserve? Also, l have never had a fuel injected bike before...l couldn't find a petcock anywhere. Do l not have to worry about shutting the fuel off?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Do not worry about a petcock. I have never seen a fuel injected bike that had one. When the fuel pump is shut down there is nothing that will cause flooding of the engine. With the key off the fuel injectors have no power so it is like the petcock is shut off. I have no idea about your gas gauge, they just vary too much from bike to bike.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
yep, and keep an eye on your mileage between fill up, for a few tanks at least, some bikes have gas gauges that just don't read right...also remember that a fuel injected bike does not have a reserve....when it runs out of gas, you are out of gas....

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input guys. I almost wish l had one of those old fender tanks so l could carry a little bit of gas around with me. It is a bit annoying not knowing for sure.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
best thing to do is get your mileage figured out and fuel it when you get to xxx miles on each tank....I've determined that the gauge on my Yamaha is pretty accurate, but I still run the trip odometer between tanks just in case

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
best thing to do is get your mileage figured out and fuel it when you get to xxx miles on each tank....I've determined that the gauge on my Yamaha is pretty accurate, but I still run the trip odometer between tanks just in case
I agree, that is the safest thing to do...but if l can get 180 miles out of a tank l would like to know that, rather than just being resolved to having to gas up every 125 miles. I plan on taking this bike on some trips.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
you should be able to figure your max distance after you go through a few tanks and get a good idea of mileage, just remember to keep a small buffer in case of different riding conditions, some bikes get worse mileage in higher elevations, some have no real difference....how you ride will also affect mileage, I only get about 31 mpg on my Road Star, but I do almost all my riding in town, it's been a while, but if I remember right I was getting closer to 43 highway (and of course if I twist the throttle a little harder, down it goes lol)

and even if you get 180 miles on a tank that doesn't mean run 180 miles before you get fuel :thumbsup:

I know one of the big mileage killers for me is my weight, pulling my fat azz around kills my fuel mileage

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya Goliath...l'm running a solid 250 myself :)

One of my friends used to have the exact same bike as mine (only one year newer) and she said that she could get another 75 miles after the light came on. She was a heck of a rider and the group she rode in was scary fast, so l imagine she wasn't getting the best mileage out of it, either. l am pretty mellow on the throttle, but thus far most of my riding is just to work and back, which is all city riding.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Always reset your trip meter when you refill, then do the maths when you next fill up. So many miles, so many gallons, that's xyz mpg, so I've got xyz times 5.3 maximum range. And fill up 30 to 50 miles before your trip meter says maximum.

I get over 500 kilometres (300 miles) on a tank on my Honda ST1100, but its a sports touring bike with a big 28 litre tank (just < 7 1/2 US gallons). So I tend to fill up anytime I pass a servo whenever the trip meter is over 400 km.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Running FI bikes to empty, or even below a quarter of a tank is NOT a good idea.

I don't know about motorcycles but in almost all FI cars today the pump is submerged in the tank, and COOLED by the liquid gasoline. Submerged or not, gasoline recirculated through the pump/lines/ fuel rail /tank also helps cool the pump, and the less you have to recirc, the hotter it's gonna get.

When you constantly run a car to near empty you risk shortening the life of the pump, these days that's at least $700 to drop the tank and replace it.

You don't need to fill up (your bike OR your car) at a half tank, but there's zero benefit, and only potential expense in continually running it down to where the light clicks on...and beyond.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My backyard mechanics biggest pet peeve is people running their tanks under 1/4. Maybe people just don't know that gas keeps their pump cool and being exposed is shortening its life. And on most cars, changing a fuel pump is one thing mechanics hate to do because of the time involved. If your fuel pump ever goes, change out your fuel filters too. Chances are it went bad because the tank was low at some point. Sediment usually remains at the bottom of the tank, and you will suck that out if you run on empty and it will clog up your fuel filters.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
My backyard mechanics biggest pet peeve is people running their tanks under 1/4. Maybe people just don't know that gas keeps their pump cool and being exposed is shortening its life. And on most cars, changing a fuel pump is one thing mechanics hate to do because of the time involved. If your fuel pump ever goes, change out your fuel filters too. Chances are it went bad because the tank was low at some point. Sediment usually remains at the bottom of the tank, and you will suck that out if you run on empty and it will clog up your fuel filters.
This is worth a repost .. When my light comes on I know that I still have a Full 2 gallons left on my 5.8 Gallon tank but stop at the next Gas Station and Fill it anyway .. Changed my Fuel Filter at 30,000 Miles and still looked great which tells me filling it this way is a good thing ..

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Congrats on the bike and also an excellent choice. I learned to ridge on an EX 500 about 5 years ago. I rode it for a year to get as much riding experience as I could. It gave me the confidence to move up a notch. I now ride a BMW g650gx and I will keep her even when I make the next jump.
Post some pics when possible.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts