Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I picked up some highway pegs to mount on the my bike, some 30 dollar chrome looking ones from the local Suzuki dealer (would not recommend them:mad:) but I made them work. Anyway I was out back positioning them in different places, standing the bike up and seeing how it feels. A center stand would have been nice:). I almost never put my kickstand up unless I'm going somewhere but for some reason...I still don't know why...I put the kickstand up, sat there for a min or two pondering about the position of the pegs, went to put the bike back down and OH NOOOO! Sooo stupid! My top case wasn't latched so everything dumped out all over, helmet went rolling into the snow:mad:. Oh well :biggrin: didn't damage anything so that's good. Got some practice picking the bike up and learned something. Just thought I would share that so others don't feel so bad if they have ever done something like that.

·
American Legion Rider
18,562 Posts
Don't beat yourself up. I had a new Harley once that after a nice 300 mile ride one weekend, I pulled into my drive, just sat there admiring the bike and thinking what a great ride I just had and just stood up and got off. Actually got a full step away before out of the corner of my eye I spotted it falling over. Embarrassed as well as breaking my heart. My nearly brand new bike on the ground. Just glad it had engine guards but I still felt every eye in the neighborhood was on me.:D

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
If only you had gotten it on video...:)
I had it happen to where it didn't fall over for a good 15 seconds after I got off the bike. The side stand was unknowingly sitting on a higher spot than it should have been, leaving the motorcycle fairly upright. It would have been an interesting video since it balanced there for so long.

·
6,495 Posts
"I never dropped my Spyder or my Slingshot. Just sayin....."

Not entirely true---if you haven't dropped it off at the dealer for the RECALL, you soon will:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,477 Posts
Rode into a bike shop parking lot. Backed into a spot next to all the used bikes lined up for sale. Put the stand down and set the bike on it. It felt firm so I got off, took off my helmet and gloves. Put them on the bike and started walking away.

About 10 steps away I started hearing dominos fall. Turned around to see the last 3-4 bikes fall. Took a deep breath and walked inside and asked for the owner or manager.

My side stand had sunk into the pavement as had all the other bikes. Mine was just the first to go. Owner was very cool about it, we lifted, moved and inspected every bike. There was no damage thank god.

I now always carry something to put on the ground and spread the weight on the side stand.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If only you had gotten it on video...:)
Funny you should say that...The security cam out back caught the whole thing:biggrin: I was lucky enough that nobody saw me. I think I'm going to stick with that, and not post the vid, as entertaining as it would be:)

·
American Legion Rider
18,562 Posts
I actually bought a divot hockey puck thing that bolts right onto my side stand. Was basically for the gravel drive I have which allows the bike to dig in and lean over way too far for my tastes but has worked out well with summer asphalt too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Right there with ya bro, pulled up to an intersection on a kind of banking hill and front tire wedged in a hole I didnt see (it was dark) and down I went.Broke the right front blinker off.Perfect ridin weather here and im waiting on parts BUMMER

·
A legend in his own mind
2,599 Posts
I forgot to put my stand down once at a gas station, dropped it slowly on it's side right between my legs in front of an audience. (by the time I realized the stand was still up it was too late to stop it)

No damage, just embarrassment.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Stainless, you are not the only one to drop at a gas station. I have not had the pleasure yet but I have ridden with a couple of different people who have done it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I dropped mine once in front of my house, while trying to get it on the center stand. I misjudged the weight of the bike and couldn't hang on. Lucky for the engine guard and bar ends....No damage. Funny thing is, before picking the bike up, I looked around to see if anybody saw.....:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Drop it

I pulled into a gas station one chilly November, after about 200 miles through the mountains of inner BC. Was bloody freezing and started to shake when I slowed down. Got to the gas station, not a hint of finding the side stand, just fell over.

Another bike, too much wobbly pop, loaded duffel bag on tank, was a bit shaky, put foot on brake, was the shifter. Some twit had put it on the wrong side. Went chug chug forward and all fall down.

These no speed drops do not count as crashes.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Might as well chime in with my embarrassing story! I was actually working at the local Triumph dealer and we had been really late with a store full of customers. It was absolutely pouring rain and I pulled my bike from the back shop to the front under the awning next to the building, sat there a minute dripping and set her on the side stand......oops, forgot to put the stand down...so now I'm basically pinned between a falling bike and the front wall of the building. Luckily no one saw me since those guys can be brutal!

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Center stand

I dropped mine once in front of my house, while trying to get it on the center stand. I misjudged the weight of the bike and couldn't hang on. Lucky for the engine guard and bar ends....No damage. Funny thing is, before picking the bike up, I looked around to see if anybody saw.....:confused:
Was parking the XS400 on the center stand. Put nearly all my weight on the stand, and the part I was standing on went right through the sole of my rubber boot. Was more than difficult to balance the bike on one foot, while trying to extract my boot from the center stand. In the end I took my foot out of the boot, used the side stand and hopped about on one foot. Sent the boots directly to the garbage can.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 24 Posts