Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to ride on my motorsickle. But someday I'll wake up & think "Nah, I'll take the pickle." Hopefully I've got 5+ more years of riding before I'm in a retirement home. Not being able to pick up my dropped Vstrom last year was a wake-up call.

·
American Legion Rider
26,037 Posts
Heck, there is no darn way I could pick up my Indian but I'm
still riding. Not nearly as much as I was just a short 2 years
ago but still riding.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Heck, there is no darn way I could pick up my Indian but I'm
still riding. Not nearly as much as I was just a short 2 years
ago but still riding.
I agree, I'm only 73 and a few months ago I dumped my Ninja failing to assure the hook of the wheel stand was engaged in the right spool. I wasn't feeling to great that day and didn't want to do additional damage to the bike or myself, so I called on a nearby friend (big boy) who snapped it up for me. If I drop it again, I'll worry about getting it up side right, but in the mean time I'm riding.

And, about 15 years ago I dumped my VStrom, too much speed and too much over confidence in a low side thinking I was on a dirt bike rather than a top heavy, heavily loaded dual sport. Then without my asking I got help putting it back up. That was a bit embarrassing, but I appreciated the help. I've uprighted a lot of bikes, mostly for others, but I'm not too proud to ask for help at my age, especially if it means I get to continue to ride.

·
Registered
781 Posts
As a lot of us are getting older, I'm not the least bit embarrassed to ask for help if I have to pick up a bike. I've even asked my neighbor for help pushing my FLH into the garage! The bike didn't run at the time, and I just couldn't push the beast up into the garage.

However, when I was younger (like in my 30's) I never had a problem, except once. After selecting a campsite with the club I was in, I stopped and put my feet down. My left foot fell into a hole I didn't see up to my knee. Over I went and was trapped! Three members rushed over and asked if I was alright. When I answered in the affirmative, negotiations began. It cost me a six pack for them to get the bike off me. Such is life in a motorcycle club. lol.

·
Premium Member
9,895 Posts
I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans, and I' ll be done 500 miles before day is done. That way you know that I know who the singer is of your tune. I ride the 370 pound XS400 during the winter months, primarily because it is easier to handle, and pick up. If it lands in a ditch I will not get too upset. I need help with the Triumph and the bigger Yamaha.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,037 Posts
One thing I've noticed, at least in Texas, if an older rider drops a bike he or she will get 5 or 6 people offering to help before the bike even stops moving. I found that out a few years ago when my Harley rolled off the after-market center stand. A truck rolled by it and I guess there was just enough of an incline and vibration from the truck, possibly wind as well, to get it roll enough to come off the center stand. Instantly there were 6 guys helping me pick it up. Too many to actually help but there they were. And you always see that if a lady has a problem. I was just blown over by the guys jumping in with me. So unless I'm out in the sticks alone, I'm not worried if I drop it other than it being one more sign indicating maybe I better find another wheel or stop riding.

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
How to pick up your bike when alone. Something my old man taught me before I ever rode solo. Figured you older guys would have a clue..

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done that with other bikes. Doesn't work with a 2007 Vstrom 650 because there's nothing to grab. Seat is too slippery. I've since installed frame sliders just to use as handles to pick it up but soon after that I got a Honda NC700X which is MUCH easier to pick up.

·
On The Road Again!
4,212 Posts
I'll be 70 in a few months.
I can still pick up my 900 pound Goldwing like that.
I've done it too many times.
Back in November, it fell over in my shed. (!!)
Luckily it didn't hit anything with all the...stuff....that's in there.
After a few four letter words, I had it back on it's wheels in no time.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,544 Posts
I need help with the Yamaha and I just put a bar on the FXDC so if it starts over, maybe it will stop before going too far.
The Yammy should have bars front and rear that only let it go over about half way. It is still a heavy SOB to get back up

Reactions: Juan_Banjovy

·
American Legion Rider
26,037 Posts
I'll let anyone come to my house and demonstrate just how easy it is to lift a big bike back up on my gravel drive. Anyone. Can't be done. I'll even give you $100 for your sweat and effort but not your injuries or hernia. And you never hear these experts even mention gravel or sand or grit that is real world lift potential problems. They always do these demonstration on nice level perfectly clean areas. Never on the side of a road with grit or sand and the road has a 5% grade to boot. Where this kind of stuff really happens. At least my drive is perfectly flat and you still won't be able to lift my bike back up. Two of us with a come along were barely able to do it ONCE. Just getting the wheels anchored was tough enough. So if you want to drop your bike so you can easily pick it up choose your spot carefully. Then you can easily do it just like they say. ha ha ha

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
The Yamaha does have the bars that keeps it from going all the way over, but when I had it packed down with too much stuff while on a trip, I needed help getting that big _ back up on two wheels.

They never show what to do when you get a bike near half way up, then the tires start sliding across the grass. Fortunately I was younger then and I was able to chase it until the rear tire came up against a tree root.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I remember now when I got back from that trip, I searched on-line for a jack that could be used to jack a fallen bike, back up. Seemed like there was a couple two or three being made, but they cost more than I was willing to spend.

One was a real nice little thing that came all apart and packed into a case small enough to fit in the bottom of a saddle bag. Believe it was made for Harley Davidson motorcycles.

·
American Legion Rider
26,037 Posts
It's really too bad there isn't a Dustriders Motorcycle Lift that's on steroids that can lift these 1,000 pound street bikes of today.
Or a Eastbound MotoWinch.
Although this one might twist handlebars on heavy street bikes.
You'll need to turn translation on in most cases.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts