Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Miguel and I'm from Portugal. I am 19 years old and I have permission to drive anything under 35KW of power. In the next year I have intention to upgrade my license to unlimited power. The problem is, I have no bike above 50cc and My experience is just a few weeks with a Honda CB500 so I could take that license. And next year I have intention to start to drive my father's gsxr600 and I am afraid of do something out of my comfort zone. I rode bicycles all my life since young and started to drive those 50cc at 16, but I never knew how to wheelie.

Do you think this is a problem? I appreciate your attention

·
Registered
272 Posts
You should probably stay off the road until you can do a competent wheelie!

Honestly what is the concern here I have only met a handful of people that could do a wheelie and all of which learned to ride on the dirt first. I sold my one of my bikes because it was going to get me in trouble for riding 10th of a mile wheelies on main roads really not a good idea.

Learn to ride with both wheels on the ground before you worry about wheelies!!!!!

I'm really hoping this was intended as a joke!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Wheelies are fun and they can make you look pretty cool in the right environment but they are a completely superficial aspect of riding. You don't have to be able to wheelie to be a good rider. There are many, many other aspects of riding that should concern you before worrying about being able to do that.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
If you want to learn to NOT do an unexpected wheelie on any bike capable of one, just learn to use the friction zone properly. Smooth starts, without 'popping' the clutch in any gear will keep you on both wheels.

·
On The Road Again!
4,649 Posts
There are old riders,
And there are bold riders.
But there are no old, bold riders!
Keep both wheels on the ground, stay healthy, and don't be an a**hole.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello, my name is Miguel and I'm from Portugal. I am 19 years old and I have permission to drive anything under 35KW of power. In the next year I have intention to upgrade my license to unlimited power. The problem is, I have no bike above 50cc and My experience is just a few weeks with a Honda CB500 so I could take that license. And next year I have intention to start to drive my father's gsxr600 and I am afraid of do something out of my comfort zone. I rode bicycles all my life since young and started to drive those 50cc at 16, but I never knew how to wheelie.

Do you think this is a problem? I appreciate your attention
Clearly not being able to wheelie is a serious skill deficiency and makes you a danger to democracy and the God given right to wheelie at wheel (pun). You should have your permission to operate a 50cc revoked until such time as you can demonstrate a proper wheelie on a bicycle. :devil:

Get a dirt bike, ride MX, learn to wheelie where the wheelie is actually a necessary skill.

·
American Legion Rider Staff Administrator
27,445 Posts
There are old riders,
And there are bold riders.
But there are no old, bold riders!
Keep both wheels on the ground, stay healthy, and don't be an a**hole.
I don't know about that. Big Ed Beckley is still around although has more parts than he started with.:devil:

·
Biker
1,726 Posts
I would be much more concerned with knowing how to do tight off-set cone weaves, Brake and swerves and U-turns
before I worried about doing wheelies. Knowing how to do wheelies will not save your bacon but the 3 skills just
mentioned are just what you will need when you start riding on public roads.

·
On The Road Again!
4,649 Posts
This past Thursday night, some jackass rode by the place where we have bike night.
As he approached, he lifted the front wheel and cracked the throttle for maximum noise.
A large group of us were standing there talking as he went by.
Not ONE person said, "Hey, he's cool".
EVERY biker there shook their head and said, "What an a**hole."
A few other not so nice comments followed after he was out of sight.

·
Biker
1,726 Posts
Hello Offcenter,

A few things could be said about that A-hole. 1 he is so caught up on trying to be 'Cool' he is oblivious to others around him.
2 He probably has no idea or thinks something could go wrong like a blow-out of rear tire which could cause a chain reaction to
cars around him. 3 He has no respect for biking to give the good bikers a bad name by his stupidity. I am personally not against
doing wheelies if done at a track or place where nothing can happen to others.

·
Biker
1,726 Posts
This some kind of joke ? Kid goes from a dinky-ass 50 c.c. scooter to a HondaCB500, wants to ride his Dad's GSXR600,
says he's afraid to do something out of his comfort zone, yet the 1st thing he talks about is he doesn't know how to
do a wheelie ?

I don't know about you Miguel but something tells me you won't be riding long on the street if the first thing you speak
of is that you don't know how to do wheelies. Seriously. When I took the MSF test, everyone was talking about the kind
of bike they wanted to get, and all the places they wanted to ride to, they were already planning trips !

I bought a Harley 1200 4 months before I took that test and had 3,000 miles of practice, BUT
I was into doing things like quick safe stops, stopping on a curve, off-set cone weaves NOT FREAKING WHEELIES !

You have no real experience handling a bike the way it should be, if you want to be a street rider, bet you could not do a
U-turn in 18 feet or offset cone weaves, can you get up to 25 an hour and do a quick brake 'n swerve? If you really want
to enjoy riding a motorcycle, you have to know those skills so well that you can do them without having to think about it,
riding a motorcycle requires maturity and responsibility.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.