Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad took me to an empty parking lot to practice today, and I feel like I learned a lot. Worked on my downshifting and turning mostly. After we got home I decided to go to a friends house about a mile away, and took my bike, and I did great! I even made those perfect downshift coming up to a stop sign, I was so excited. Adventure!!!!

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
That's great. All that stuff you are doing with your hands and feet should become automatic with practice. This allows you to devote 100% of your attention outward to look for potential hazards and reduce risks.

Don't forget to practice emergency maneuvers often. Even riders with decades of experience should do this all the time. While shifting, turning and all the rest can be practiced while riding, the quick stops and swerves need attention as well.

·
American Legion Rider
23,691 Posts
It's kinda hard to do true emergency stop drills unless you have another person. You can practice quick stops but know matter how you try to sneak up on yourself you know when you are going to say "STOP". With another person you can throw in the true surprise.

I like figure 8's for that, large enough to be able to get some speed. Over and over with a surprise stop thrown in. Wal-Mart parking lots can work at 4:00am but you might get run off by the local county mounty.:D

·
Roamer
176 Posts
My Dad took me to an empty parking lot to practice today, and I feel like I learned a lot. Worked on my downshifting and turning mostly. After we got home I decided to go to a friends house about a mile away, and took my bike, and I did great! I even made those perfect downshift coming up to a stop sign, I was so excited. Adventure!!!!
Nice job!!

It's kinda hard to do true emergency stop drills unless you have another person. You can practice quick stops but know matter how you try to sneak up on yourself you know when you are going to say "STOP".
Haha, very true. I will often catch myself beginning to brake before I reach the tree or pothole or whatever I've decided is my marker for beginning to brake. Then I mentally smack myself and circle back to go again. On the other hand, maybe it's good we can't surprise ourselves... :coffeescreen:

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Good start! I like your level of excitement combined with caution and willingness to learn. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Keep it up! Today is my two week moto-versary and every day I improve some part of my riding, which is incredibly rewarding. You'll be out riding wherever you want to go before you know it!

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
^^^I didn't either.

Oh, she'll die eventually. Probably before she's ready to. Pfft.

It's what happens between now and then that matters. Keep riding ZF. Enjoy it all.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
There is still hope for science to pull that immortality trick out of their ass before we (I mean her and I, probably not you) kick the bucket :)

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
When you do quick stop drills, the main thing to work on is the muscle memory. Going from a rolled-on throttle to smoothly applying enough brake to stop quickly and in a controlled manner. Once that is achieved and consistent, it probably wouldn't hurt to add surprise drills to sharpen the reaction time. I think the main focus should be the skill itself, though.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I'm so happy for you! Cherish those moments with your dad and keep up the good work. As said above keep practicing those swerves and hard stops. They are what will help your muscle memory and believe us, they will be needed the more you ride.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's kinda hard to do true emergency stop drills unless you have another person. You can practice quick stops but know matter how you try to sneak up on yourself you know when you are going to say "STOP". With another person you can throw in the true surprise.

I like figure 8's for that, large enough to be able to get some speed. Over and over with a surprise stop thrown in. Wal-Mart parking lots can work at 4:00am but you might get run off by the local county mounty.
I will definitely practice those, hopefully my Dad will be able to work with me on them for the surprise stops :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Such a smart way to get into riding. Generating slow speed skills on a parking lot is a step every new rider should start with. You will find that it is quite easy to spin along a straight road at considerable speed - the bike's forces keep it straight, your body automatically balances for wind etc. But then that turn comes up, or someone turns in front of you. That is when you have to have the right instinct, or you will be in big trouble... this parking lot time is soo valuable for the long term.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I feel more comfortable on the street, I think I will start going to parking lots earlier in the mornings and doing some practicing by myself when my Dad can't go with me. :)

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
You and dad.

My dad used to take my brother and I to the bike races quite a long time ago.
We would talk about bikes long and often, even after my parents split when I was 14.
But he never did watch any of my rugby games. So I will just have to remember the bike stories instead.
ECC, my dad, rode a 16H Norton.

It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling ( sniff ) knowing your dad is sharing it with you.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 20 of 21 Posts